Accomodation near Highgate cemetery ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accomodation near Highgate cemetery ?

I am coming over to the UK in March to visit Highgate Cemetery for 2 days and one night.Quite a few of my family are buried there,so I am hoping there is a family plot.
    Does anyone know of any accomodation near where my Hubby and I can stay for one night ? I have googled but can`t find anywhere within walking distance.
    Thanks

I don't know of any accommodation but are you aware that you must make a prior appointment to visit the cemetery.
    Elaine

Comment

Yes,thanks Elaine.I have already booked but will not know if there is a grave stone to see until a couple of weeks before.I will still go as I would love to see Highgate anyway !

Comment

I'm gobsmacked Elaine, it's years since I visited Highgate & I certainly didn't pay to visit then.
        I think it is totally apalling that they have turned a resting place of our ancestors into a tourist attraction.
        I considered letting them know my opinion but on second thoughts decided they wouldn't care so won't waste my time.
        Vivienne passed away July 2013

Comment

Vivienne

To be fair to them, they didn't turn it into a tourist attraction, the tourists did, lol. I think they had to raise revenue to cope with the huge numbers of visitors who are drawn to the Cemetery because so many famous people are buried there.

It's many years since I went there but remember that the area is mostly residential, so wouldn't have hotels etc. However, it's on a bus route and easy to reach (because it's a tourist attraction!).

Also, I would do a bit of homework before you arrive and find out where your ancestors' graves are - the cemetery is huge and I think you will probably have to pay for the informarion if you leave it till the day.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Vivienne View Post
            I'm gobsmacked Elaine, it's years since I visited Highgate & I certainly didn't pay to visit then.
            I think it is totally apalling that they have turned a resting place of our ancestors into a tourist attraction.
            I considered letting them know my opinion but on second thoughts decided they wouldn't care so won't waste my time.
            I know where you're coming from, Vivienne, and a big part of me agrees with you.
            On the other hand, if the site is being protected, maintained and cared for, then that service has to be funded and the money obtained from somewhere.
            Nothing worse than viewing an overgrown, unkempt cemetery from the top of a bus. Or visiting one where yobs have been partying, broken some of the stones and have left drink bottles everywhere.

So many large cemeteries are now in the hands of private owners.

Jay
            Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

It was explained to me that as the graves are over a hundred years old,before I visit they must clear the graves of overgrown bushes etc and as I have 2 family graves it is going to cost me £50.£25 each.
              I do understand that they have to do this but I think if one has family there one shouldn`t really have to pay.it is only £3 to look round.

Comment

Originally posted by LynSpain View Post
                It was explained to me that as the graves are over a hundred years old,before I visit they must clear the graves of overgrown bushes etc and as I have 2 family graves it is going to cost me £50.£25 each.
                I do understand that they have to do this but I think if one has family there one shouldn`t really have to pay.it is only £3 to look round.
                is a pity that you cant just pay the £3 and then find the plot/s and clear them yourself. (I think that those prices are a rip off!!)

I know that Alexander Litvenyenko? is buried there as is Karl Marx, and that they still bury folks there.
                Julie
                They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Anyway......I just need somewhere to stay !!

Comment

Lyn

Google throws up dozens/hundreds of hotels, guest houses and B and B's, all near to Archway tube station - the cemetery is a six minute walk (uphill) from Archway tube, or you can get a bus.

OC

Comment

My great-grandparents are buried in Highgate Cemetery and we visited about 3 years' ago.

They were extremely helpful - we had to book an appointment but they told us that the row where the grave is was very overgrown so they cleared it before we visited and when we called at the office they sent someone with us to show us the grave.

The problem with Highgate Cemetery is that they planted far too many trees - the grave next to my great-grandparents' grave had been virtually uprooted by a tree, since cut down, and the family grave was slightly affected too.

They are trying to be helpful but it is a huge job maintaining the cemetery.
                      Elizabeth
                      Research Interests:
                      England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
                      Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Elizabeth

It says on their website that all the trees and flowers were self-planted. I find that quite hard to believe, personally.

It is now owned by a charitable trust and supported by English Heritage, which explains the charges.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                          Lyn

Google throws up dozens/hundreds of hotels, guest houses and B and B's, all near to Archway tube station - the cemetery is a six minute walk (uphill) from Archway tube, or you can get a bus.

OC
                          Thank you I will have a look

Comment

It is now owned by a charitable trust and supported by English Heritage, which explains the charges.
                            Does that mean that the charges are reduced if you're a supporter of EH?

Christine
                            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Lyn......re accommodation. Have a look on trip advisor UK (you can try either hotels/bed & breakfast/self catering). We've gone by the recommendations to differing locations 4 or 5 times & never been disappointed. You may find the top choices are the more expensive ones but, if you go down the list, you'll find the most highly recommended in the price category you're looking for (but I'd suggest you book early). It's worth getting somewhere which is much better value for money, even if it means a (shortish) tube or bus ride. I'm one of those people who would stress that you don't take a holiday in London to sit in your hotel, but there are some real horrors in London (as well as some excellent places & everything inbetween)

Comment

Originally posted by greyingrey View Post
                                Lyn......re accommodation. Have a look on trip advisor UK (you can try either hotels/bed & breakfast/self catering). We've gone by the recommendations to differing locations 4 or 5 times & never been disappointed. You may find the top choices are the more expensive ones but, if you go down the list, you'll find the most highly recommended in the price category you're looking for (but I'd suggest you book early). It's worth getting somewhere which is much better value for money, even if it means a (shortish) tube or bus ride. I'm one of those people who would stress that you don't take a holiday in London to sit in your hotel, but there are some real horrors in London (as well as some excellent places & everything inbetween)
                                yes,thanks.I have already read a couple of reviews on there which look awful so I have now emailed a more expensive but excellent place which had good reviews on Tripadvisor.TBH I don`t like the look of a lot of places near Archway

Comment

Originally posted by LynSpain View Post
                                  yes,thanks.I have already read a couple of reviews on there which look awful so I have now emailed a more expensive but excellent place which had good reviews on Tripadvisor.TBH I don`t like the look of a lot of places near Archway
                                  You don't want to touch Archway with a bargepole!!
                                  Go slightly west. You'll pay more but it would be worth it. Highgate is very posh and likely to be expensive, but the borders will probably be cheaper.

Belsize Park is a nice area, a bit more mixed but still very nice.

(I lived in both Highgate and Belsize Park before I got married.)
                                  Elizabeth
                                  Research Interests:
                                  England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
                                  Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

No, I probably wouldn't stay in Archway either, but you did say you wanted to be within walking distance of the cemetery.

I lived in Archway/Highgate many years ago and Archway was always rough, but I didn't mind then!

OC

Comment

Thanks all for your good advice,I am still looking but have a better perspective now of where I want to stay

Comment

Working...
                                      X