unreadable fathers name on marriage certificate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• unreadable fathers name on marriage certificate

This is one of my brickwalls and may ring a bell for one or two of you!

The marriage is between a Richard Lambert and Ann Ensor, her fathers name is Joseph a shoemaker but the grooms fathers name is unreadable. I have even had the records office in Gwent have a look but they too were unsuccessful!

My best guess is that it is a shortening of Cathaliner or Linah as I think the name says. Llandogo where the groom states he was born on several census is a small place. there is a baptism of a richard lambert with father Cathaliner and mother martha. I will attempt to copy the marriage cert to see if anyone can make out the name.

Will be grateful for any suggestions
    Attached Files
    KAREN xx

Fuzzy

can you crop the cert and put up a bigger image via photobucket, as the one you have put up isnt readable.. please
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Julie hi, am not good with technical things how do I do this?
      KAREN xx

Comment

i'll pm you :D
        Julie

Comment

Thanks Julie xx
          KAREN xx

Comment

sorry had to wait for the email to get delivered, but here it is.. and the handwriting isnt the easiest to read..

Julie

Comment

Are you able to scan the image at a higher quality?

Might be easier for us to read if we can zoom in on it.

Squinting at it at the moment I would hazard a guess at Noriah?

Update - looked on baby names website and it says Noriah is a girls name, but I wouldn't let this worry me too much as it could have been either gender back then.
              Last edited by Tom Tom; 05-01-11, 17:25.

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

How about "Isaiah" ?

Christine
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
                  How about "Isaiah" ?

Christine
                  I agree, much more likely than my idea.

Definately ends in -iah though.

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

This any better?

Julie

Comment

But I do think that you have it right Karen, as in Cathaliner.. I also spotted that baptism on familysearch, though I suspect that the only way to be sure would be to track him and see what he is bapt as?
                      Julie

Comment

I don't think it starts with L - not the same shape as the start of Lambert.

It could be a rogue dot - but if it does belong then there must be an i in it somewhere.
                        Jonah, Josiah, Isaiah,

But Linah isn't an impossible interpretation.

Christine
                        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

The 1807 Llandogo baptism is on the Forest of Dean genealogy site, too.

Christine

Comment

Well done Julie you are a star what a brilliant image. My thinking that it is a shortened version of Cathalina. I have been on to someone at Ancestry who has been researching the same family as me and she has made the same leap as I have, without us conferring!

Here is how it goes. Baptisms of children including Richard born to a cathalina Lambert and a martha in Llandogo, baptisms from 1791 to 1809. Then I find a marriage a Leonard Lambeth (not Lambert) to a Martha Baldwin in the same parish in 1788. Am now thinking that this is the same man called three different things!! Funny thing is this girl on Ancestry has come to the same conclusion. Llandogo such a small place and there is only one Lambert family. All the records I looked at are transcribed from the original parish records.

Have pasted the link for anyone else interested in parish records held at the Gwent record office, they are listed A - Z and Llandogo is one of them!

thoughts on the above anyone.

Special thanks again Julie
                            KAREN xx

Comment

You might find this site useful: http://www.forest-of-dean.net/

Christine

Comment

Fuzzy

Just looked on the link you have given and found the burial of Carthelina Lambert on 6th Feb 1811.

Could it be of any help to you.

Also Martha Lambert of Whitebrook buried 13 Sep 1839 aged 70.

Perhaps her death cert could help you
                                Last edited by Lin Fisher; 05-01-11, 19:47. Reason: added more info
                                Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Thanks Christine and Lin,

Lin I never thought about the death cert!! I know from the past that they have been a wealth of info!
                                  KAREN xx

Comment

Fuzzy

Still looking and found the death of Richard Lambert at Union House Monmouth buried 21 May 1885 aged 78 at LLandogo

Is this your Richard?

It looks as if this one is the son of Carthelina and Martha.

If it matches your Richard I would say they were the same person if not I don't think Carthelina and Martha are the parents of your Richard.

Hope that makes sense!!
                                    Lin

Comment

Yes makes sense Lin and I do have his death cert! It can only be my Richard as other Richard Lambert born around same time dying in Marylebone died before my Richards wife listed herself as still being married. If that makes sense!! they were living separately on the latter census. Also did get the other Richards death cert and occupation was wrong whereas I know my Richard was a papermaker and that is what it states as his occupation on the death cert I have of his. ~Sorry very rambling hope it all makes sense!!
                                      KAREN xx

Comment

Still not sure what it says on the Marriage cert but another mystery solved
                                        Lin

Comment

Working...
                                        X