Help with LMA marriage, please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with LMA marriage, please

I know from FBM that Jane Boulter & John Williams Marshall married in Mar qtr 1858 in Kensington Reg Dist.

I've got a memo that they had 3 children born in NZ between 1859 abd 1863

I've just found a passenger list recording that a Capt John & Mrs Marshall sailed for NZ from Deal on 22 Feb, 1858.
    So, could sks check the LMA marriages, please? (fingers crossed it's on!) - date of the marriage should help clarify whether or not the above sailing is for my couple. Would also be interested to know the profession of John Williams Marshall, as it may tie up with the travel.

Many thanks

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Date of marriage 07 Jan 1858 St James, Paddington

John William Marshall - occ. Paymaster in the 65th Regiment
    Elaine

Comment

The marriage took place on the 7th January 1858
      Moggie

Comment

Ladies,
        Thankyou, both.

Looks promising, doesn't it?

Many thanks for your time,
        Jay
        Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Done a bit more digging and the romantic in me is wondering how this couple met???

John Williams Marshall was a career soldier, who'd been in the army since 1836, and had served in Canada, before being posted to Australia and then ordered on to NZ in 1846. He was a widower, having married in NZ in 1849, but sadly his wife died in 1854.
          In 1857 he negotiated buying a plot of land in Wellington, but was back in England in time to marry Jane Mary, a spinster 16 yrs younger than he, in Jan 1858.
          NZ wasn't exactly a place from where you'd pop home to when you had a short leave.

So, a big undertaking for the bride to up sticks and travel to the other side of the world with a middle-aged widower, she could hardly have known.

Jay
          Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 05-01-11, 20:14. Reason: correction of name
          Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Did Jane have any brothers/cousins in the same regiment?

Did john have children who needed to be looked after - would he have contacted someone "back home" to look for a suitable bride to mother his children?

Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Christine, thankyou for your welcome input.

As yet, I can find no military link for any member of Jane's immediate family.

John could well have had at least 2 sons from his first marriage. The first wife was nee Swainson - there is a NZ birth reg for a William Swainson Marshall.
              Also someone has submitted a bp for John Williams Marshall on IGI, claiming his father was John Willoughby Marshall. There is also a NZ birth reg for a John Willoughby Marshall.
              No parents name given on the index, but both births were in the right time frame - both lived long lives.
              Neither boy was on the passenger list.

I am now looking to see if I can establish a link between the Boulter & the Marshall families. Newspaper reports/biogs of JWM state he was born at Gt Yarmouth in 1814.
              Jane's father, Joseph Boulter, was born at Gt Yarmouth in 1790, so he and father Marshall could have been acquaintances??? Or school pals - Joseph was from a Quaker family and was sent to school at Ackworth.

Jay
              Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Working...
              X