FTM and Ancestry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FTM and Ancestry

At the moment I only have my tree on Ancestry, which I realise is a "bad thing". I would like to buy a FT software package and transfer from Ancestry t o the new prgramme. However, the thought of re-entering all that data is daunting.

Am I right in thinking that FTM 2011 could do this automatically, or does it only work in the other direction??

I already have worldwide Ancestry membership - not sure I need "extras" - presume the cheapest packages don't vary where the actual prgramme is concerned.

Thanks for any advice
    Trina

It doesn't really matter which software you get - you can download your Ancestry tree as a GEDCOM file which will open in any package, to save you re-entering everything.

Whichever you use though, downloading the GEDCOM won't bring any pictures with it.

I use Family Historian so don't really know much about FTM .....

http://www.familytreeforum.com/conte...alogy-Software will tell you more about the main packages.
    Caroline
    Caroline's Family History Pages
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Originally posted by Caroline View Post
      Whichever you use though, downloading the GEDCOM won't bring any pictures with it.
      If you use Family Tree Maker 2011 there is a method whereby you can download your tree from Ancestry, including images.

One of the best buys for FTM 2011 at the moment appears to be from Amazon - cost £29.99

- this package includes a free 6 months subscription to Ancestry (premium package)

It is also available via Tesco card/points - costs about £20 - but i don't have a link for that!
      Elaine

Comment

Trina I have FTM 2010 and a Tree on Ancestry and you can import your tree from there into FTM photos and all

Comment

Trina,

if you like the style that Ancestry Presents when working on your tree then FTM is the way to go, you can also use FTM to search Ancestry for 'hints' and also you can save the images direct to FTM from Ancestry, (say a census image that you want to attach to a particular person) I am at the moment playing about and learning much more with FTM as I am now using the 2009 version which I understand isnt much different to 2011 version.
          Julie
          They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
            If you use Family Tree Maker 2011 there is a method whereby you can download your tree from Ancestry, including images.
            I said I didn't know much!! Earlier versions wouldn't though - would they?

Now I understand why everyone gets FTM - a very good marketing ploy to tie it all in. But I still think FH is much better .... :D :D :D
            Caroline
            Caroline's Family History Pages
            Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

No, it's only in the more recent versions that FTM/Ancestry have introduced a download method which includes images.

The direct link between Family Tree Maker and Ancestry is what makes it so popular, although having said that I rarely do my web searches via FTM and NEVER merge anything from Ancestry directly into my FTM program. I much prefer to evaluate it fully first and add the data manually.
              Elaine

Comment

I agree with Elaine,
                Though the 'hints' from Ancestry are good, you should never directly import into your program from other's family trees without double checking Census/BMD yourself first, as there are too many 'trees' on Ancestry that are only where users have clicked on the hint merges without checking details are correct first.
                I have a tree up there with errors I have purposly placed on people and it is amazing how many have now appeared on other's trees now.

It is just the baptisms, census, war records etc I do 'merge' when I have checked the contents are correct from known facts

The link for the Tesco deal is here
                Last edited by TrevorFranklin; 04-01-11, 16:56.

Researching:
                FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

I have lost count of the number of people who have died in places like Essex Massachusettes instead of England on Ancestry ??? as people let the address fill in automatically .lol

Comment

I have a Gt Gt Aunt up there who was married and had two children at the age of 11, but none of the people who have merged her have noticed that (LOL)
                    It's like 'twitchers' who just want the longest list of birds they have seen, too many who use Ancestry just want a massive tree, but not actually do the correct work.

In FTM, I have used the notation of a fullstop after a first name if I am not fully convinced of a correct details I have for them from any third party source and this is placed in my notes section as a 'to look up' task
                    So when I have spare time, all I need to do is action a name search in FTM using a single fullstop and all my current queries are instantly listed for me to choose from.

Researching:
                    FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

thats a brilliant idea Trevor , it would annoy me to have the wrong facts in my Tree dont understand people that do it ????

Comment

Thankyou to all for very helpful advice. Willl take the plunge!

Comment

Working...
                        X