Formatting Text

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Formatting Text

I am trying to find a straight forward way to paste a newsletter that I receive by email into word. I need this Text to go across the whole page and I have tried so many ideas and none work.

In the end I move each line manually but that is like going back in time not forward to the modern day and age.

Ideas welcome.
    Margaret N
    DOGS HAVE OWNERS ~ CATS HAVE STAFF

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

If it was me, I would copy and paste the text into Word, and then select all the text and format it so that the text does what you want it to do.
    Last edited by WendyPusey; 03-01-11, 15:57.
    Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

If it is because you have lots of short lines from pasting from the email, you can use Find/Replace to join all the lines together.

In Word 2007, it is on the right hand side of the Home ribbon.

Select all the text with CTRL and A.

Click on Find. Find Special at the bottom of the dialogue box. Choose Paragraph Mark, then click on the Replace Tab and just click on Replace All. You will end up with one lump of text, but you can then play around with the layout.

It works the same in earlier versions of Word, but I can't remember where it is.
      Caroline
      Caroline's Family History Pages
      Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Wendy,
        Thank you for your reply I like to think that I have done what you suggest but it has not worked for me. I seem to remember in days of old when I had XP I could sort it OK. I have been receiving these emails with all these short lines for a couple of years now and a number of friends have tried to sort it for me.
        Carloine,
        I will now have a go with your idea. I was nearly there earlier today but lost myself on 'Replace All'. If it works I will edit this in a few minutes.
        Thank you ladies for your interest and a Happy New Year.
        **Yes this did work for me and I have just edited the newsletter. I did not realise that the Find Special had a drop down box with so many options.
        Having said that I have become so skilled doing it manually I don't think there is a lot in it but plan to use this new way. Thank you.
        Last edited by Margaret N; 03-01-11, 21:09.
        Margaret N
        DOGS HAVE OWNERS ~ CATS HAVE STAFF

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

Comment

To save playing around with it after you use 'replace all' (because it removes every paragraph marker and you need to put some back)
          Use the 'Find Next' option instead.
          It will go to the next end of paragraph marker (Same as when you press the enter key) and you can decide to 'replace', or just ignor that one and 'find next' etc.

Researching:
          FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Working...
          X