Missing marriage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missing marriage

I am trying to find the marriage of John Haywood to Mary Stewart, Their son's Scottish birth record of 1864 gives the marriage as 1861 June London. But I have looked on Ancestry, FMP new marriage match, family search.org,freebmd and even Scotlandspeople in case it was a London/Loudoun in Scotland - nothing at all springs out to me.
    I know Haywood can be spelt Ha/eywood and Ha/eyward and Stewart can also be Stuart so have tried all those variations.
    This John Haywood was previously married to Mary Yule in Edinburgh and had a daughter Mary Baillie Haywood by her in 1860 in Edinburgh (got that birth record off Scotlandpeople) but she is christened in london england in Sept 1863 St Lukes Westminster London - mother Mary - which could be either Mary Yule or Mary Stewart.Thats off familysearch.
    These are the bunnies that went to India so i have search 1860-1867 as I know another son was born in India in 1867.
    by the way its not the marriage in Lincoln for John Haywood i have checked that one out. and i dont know what happened to Mary Yule either - cant find her death in scotland as there seem to be about 4 John Haywoods around Edinburgh same age sametime!!!
    Please dont ask me to upload the birth record showing the marriage i just get so lost with photobucket! Tho I would be prepared to email it to someone to check it does say 'London'.
    Any one got any brilliant ideas please as I am so stuck on this one.
    Thanks very much
    Angelina

Hi,
    I am not having any luck either - is there any other info that will help?
    I am happy to have a look at the certificate - just PM me.
    herky
    Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

thanks Herky for the offer but someone else has already offered so sent it to them for a check on the place of the wedding.
      i have the horrible suspicion this marriage may have been made in heaven but not solemnised on this earth and it is in fact a load of porkies!!!!
      will let you all know what happens
      thanks for helping
      Angelina

Comment

Angelina

I spent ages trying to find a Scottish marriage which was listed on a birth cert. Eventually, when I got the death cert of the child supposedly born into this marriage, it said "illegitimate".

So yes indeed, you may be chasing a marriage which did not happen.

OC

Comment

OC
          I think you were the first person who wrote about parallel families and i think this is what is going on in Edinburgh- too many john haywoods marrying Marys and begetting Mary Anns and very meanly forgetting to write anything down. This is the man who went to India and died out there (and his 'wife') and the lads shipped back to scotland. And neither lad appears on any passenger list i can see.
          Angelina

Comment

Garstonite very kindly looked at the birth record and he agrees it says 'London'. so the marriage is supposed to be 1861 June London between John Haywood a coachman and Mary Stewart. I found a potential death for Mary Haywood wife of John Haywood in 1870 in India off FIBIS site which would fit with what i have learned already of the family. William and Walter Haywood were shipped back to Edinburgh when both their parents died in India and i have found them in 1881 census in Edinburgh. Their brother John Haywood junior died out in India and i Have his will and he definitely speaks of his step brothers in his will.
            any suggestions please on this marriage? or do I assume there wasnt one?
            Angelina

Comment

I dont suppose that her death cert would say Mary Haywood formerly Stewart.. that might be asking abit too much?
              Julie
              They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Julie - cant find her death certificate - it is just a death notice in the bombay times on FIBIS website thats fits with what i know. ie Mary Haywood wife of john haywood dies 1870 in right area of India. Cant find any death certificates off any site for her either. so bit stuck!
                Angelina

Comment

where did John haywood that died in india that left the will come from? am abit confused. if his brothers were shipped back to the uk why wasnt he?
                  Julie

Comment

John haywood and mary yule had john junior 1854, joseph who i think died young, and mary ann baillie - all born edinburgh.
                    john haywood and mary stewart had william 1864 Edinburgh and walter 1867 in India.

john senior took john junior, william (thats who i have the birth record for) out to india with wife Mary stewart/Haywood. He was the master of horse to the Nizam of Hyderabad. Mary 2 then had walter in 1867 in India . Family story is that parents John and mary died and william and walter were shipped back to edinburgh. i have copy of john junior's will which states he leaves money to his step brothers in edinburgh but as he himself is dying in Secunderabad he didnt make it back to scotland.

I suspect now there was no second marriage but John senior took John junior and left Mary ann with her mother mary yule as there is a record of death of mary yule with a daughter called Mary ann. Tho as i wrote before I do fear there are parallel families going on here.
                    hope this explains it all abit better.
                    Angelina

Comment

oooh its allabit confusing isnt it? when did mary yule die?
                      Julie

Comment

sorry i disappeared yesterday - found my car insurance had doubled and had to sort it out!!!
                        I looked on scotlandspeople for deaths of mary yule/haywood and only one came up
                        Mary Kirk ... firstly of John haywood Coachman secondly John Kirk ostler, died 1st jan 1878 Edinburgh aged 45 father George Latham cause of death bronchitis informant Mary Ann Haywood.
                        problem here is I know 'my' mary yule's father was Robert Yule as it is on the wedding record of Haywood/Yule off scotlands people.
                        this is what i meant about parallel families before - i think there are at least 4 john haywoods in edinburgh about the same time.
                        still if anyone wants to root please do so- I found the family in 1861 St Georges Edinburgh
                        John Haywood 29 coachman born Griffydam England (its in leicestershire)
                        Mary Haywood 26 born edinburgh
                        John haywood 6 son born edinburgh
                        mary ann haywood 3m born edinburgh.
                        i regret to say i didnt copy down the reference for the census

By 1871 John father and son are in India
                        by 1881 william and walter are orphaned and back in edinburgh with stewart family
                        Angelina

Comment

which child of john and his wives do u descend from? do you have their certificates? could you post the information from them? i think we need to start earlier than you've given, so we can double check your on the right track.

Comment

Working...
                          X