Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Halifax Parish Records - how do I access?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Halifax Parish Records - how do I access?

Hi All,

I've found an entry on familysearch.org, which is almost certainly the marriage of a distant ancestor. The marriage was in Halifax, West Yorkshire in 1824. Can anyone advise me how I get access to the Parish Records? Do I have to visit Yorkshire, or is there a way of accessing via web? http://www.thegenealogist.co.uk doesn't seem to have these parish records, although they'd be happy to take my money !!

Rock on everyone, Dave

Hi Dave
    have a look here you might find something

L

PS What names dates are you looking for ?, put them on here we might be able to find/assist you
    Last edited by It_Is_I_Leclerc; 01-01-11, 16:50. Reason: added PS

Comment

You might find they've been transcribed (try googling Halifax parish registers). If not, the relevant family history society may have transcripts they could search for a small sum - again you might find info by googling. Alternatively, you can see if you can order the relevant films of the registers for a small fee at your nearest LDS family history centre.

Or, as its only one event and you have a date, you could contact the relevant archives in Yorkshire and ask how much a copy of the entry would cost.
      ~ with love from Little Nell~
      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Thank you both for responses. I've found this website http://www.cfhsweb.com/PublicSite/Be...hEnquiries.htm after searching for Halifax FHS. I hope they can help me.

I have most of the details : Phebe Riley marries John Knowles at Halifax on 20 Dec 1824 - Indexing I03313-0, source film 990600 - and am keen to find the father of John Knowles as this will get me researching prior to 1800.

Thanks again

Comment

I'm afraid the father's name isn't likely to be shown in the marriage register at that date, unless Dade registers were used in Halifax (they were in some Yorkshire parishes).

Comment

Here are the details from the transcripts:
            20/12/1824 By Banns/Reg. No 235
            KNOWLES John /abode: OVENDEN/ Parish: OTP/Occupation: Dyer
            RILEY Phebe/Parish:OTP

No fathers names given but do you have any idea of when John might have been born and I'll see if he pops up in the transcripts?
            CAROLE : "A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK"

Comment

Thank you all for the helpful suggestions and for the transcript detail (I really appreciate that) - yes I'm beginning to realise that researching events prior to 1837 is that bit more challenging.

I don't know birth date, but a guess would be 1800 , so is it possible to 5 years either way of that? There MAY be a Cornelius Knowles involved....

Comment

I've checked Elland Parish Registers and no sign of baptism for either Phoebe or John.
                My records for Halifax Parish Church don't go back beyond 1813, which is too late.
                If you don't find him in the earlier Halifax Parish registers then you might need to look in the local non-conformist chapel registers. Perhaps you have seen the non-conformist baptism on the IGI for who could very possibly be Phoebe Riley - it's a Weslyan baptism - so possibly so is John's. The only non-conformist chapel I know of in Ovenden is Mount Zion but it's Methodist - afraid I don't know where Ovenden Weslyans would have gone. Hope this is of some help to you in your search.

Edit:

And I forgot to say that failing that you'll have to start eliminating all the other parish churches around. Halifax is not an easy area to research due to the multitude of churches and chapels.
                Last edited by taffyfrog; 03-01-11, 18:11.
                CAROLE : "A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK"

Comment

Thanks again Carole, for your further efforts.

On IGI , I find this entry for Phebe (Phoebe):

Birth Feb 19 1805, christening Mar 14 1805, mother Lydia Riley, father Jno. Riley - place SOUTH PARADE WESLEYAN,HALIFAX Indexing C08596-1, source film 816623 - I'll dig further into that, but it's the Knowles line I'm most interested in.

With regards to John's father, through various means I seem to be looking at a 50/50 choice :

1. Mar 17 1799 John Knowles baptised at Halifax. Son of Corneluis Knowles
                  2. Aug 09 1801 John Knowles baptised at Halifax. Son of William Knowles

Neither William or Cornelius appear further down my tree at all as Christian names, so i can't be guided by that and if there is no guidance on father from the marriage record then it's going to be tricky confirming which is the father. I'm not sure how old John was at his marriage to Pheobe Riley either (20 Dec 1824). It's a tricky one because although I can find Pheobe and her sons John and James in all of the census entries right up to 1871 (which helps me home in on the birth date, I never find Phoebe with her husband John, so I'm just guessing at his age.

Still I relish the challenge and will persevere on researching his two sons and two duaghters and see if a snippet pops up which will help me with their father, and hence his father !

Comment

I'm descended from a John Knowles born in Halifax who marries Rosannah Kitching in Bradford (1822). The census's from 1841 to 1871 show his age as 40, 52, 61, 72. Keeping in mind the 1841 usually rounds down it seems he is probably the John born in 1799. Also, their first son is called Cornelius. I have long since thought Cornelius would be the father but can never be certain. No father is mentioned on the 1822 marriage, just two witnesses.

I have tried to get a copy of the 1797 marriage for Cornelius and Grace Crowther in (IGI 451112/A458286) but was told the 'A' records are only open to members of the LDS.

Funnily enough I got here by googling 'halifax parish records'. Quite a coincidence you are related to possbily the same Knowles's I was researching.

Comment

I've got the earlier records for Halifax St John, 1754-1812. It's true there are an awful lot of nonconformist churches and chapels in the West Riding as a whole, not to mention chapels of ease for the main parish churches. Finding baptisms and burials can be a major problem.

Marriages are OK though, as they could only take place in certain churches from 1754-1837, all C of E. In the huge Halifax parish marriages could only take place at Halifax St John, Elland St Mary, or Heptonstall St Thomas. No wonder lots of people didn't seem to bother!

John Knowles baptised 9 Sep 1801 at Halifax St John has father William, a(cloth)dresser, abode Northowram.

Other children:
                      Wm 7/2/1798
                      Joseph 13/2/1803
                      Thomas 18/8/1804
                      James 26/6/1806
                      Saml 21/2/1808
                      James 6/5/1810
                      Henry 5/4/1812

In each case father William, dresser, abode Northowram. Mother's name Martha, recorded 1804 onward.

Marriage William Knowles clothdresser/Martha Green 16/6/1800 abode of both Northowram.

Hope this helps.

Anne

Comment

Originally posted by hibnit View Post
                        I have tried to get a copy of the 1797 marriage for Cornelius and Grace Crowther in (IGI 451112/A458286) but was told the 'A' records are only open to members of the LDS.
                        You will be able to view the film of the Parish Register as it is also an extracted record on the IGI.http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Sear...lear_form=true

The film number details are here http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/libr...filmno=0990597

This is a batch number beginning with M so will be available to view. The batch numbers beginning with A will have been submitted from research by a Church member and will not be available to view as the record probably covers more than one parish. I found the other entry by searching for a marriage of Grace Crowther with a Cornelius in England. You will see if you do this search that you get 5 results and all but one are submitted records. The extacted one, the one with the link above, has Cornelius' surname transcribed as TINOWLES.

Comment

Originally posted by Elderflower View Post
                          You will be able to view the film of the Parish Register as it is also an extracted record on the IGI.http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Sear...lear_form=true

The film number details are here http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/libr...filmno=0990597

This is a batch number beginning with M so will be available to view...
                          Thank you Pat I will look into that.

Originally posted by Marmaduke 123 View Post
                          I've got the earlier records for Halifax St John, 1754-1812...

...John Knowles baptised 9 Sep 1801 at Halifax St John has father William, a(cloth)dresser, abode Northowram
                          Anne, did you also have the baptism the John Knowles born 1799 by any chance?

Comment

Yes, but not very helpful!

John Knowles 17/3/1799 father Cornelius, dyer, abode Halifax

Marriage Cornelius Knowles labourer, Hx, and Grace Crowther Northowram, 26/12/1797

One other baptism :

Wm. 7/2/1802 father Cornelius Knowles, dyer

And one burial :

Inf. of Cornelius Knowles, dyer, abode Skircoat, 11/3/1798

No other records, and I can't see any in the non conformist ones online either.

Anne

Comment

To make contact with soldier244 just click on their user name on the first page of the thread and where it says sent this member a private message click on that and you will get a message box come up, and if they have ticked the box to be notified when a PM comes then they will get your message

Good Luck

Edna

Comment

Originally posted by soldier244 View Post

I have most of the details : Phebe Riley marries John Knowles at Halifax on 20 Dec 1824 - Indexing I03313-0, source film 990600 - and am keen to find the father of John Knowles as this will get me researching prior to 1800.

Hi, I have been researching my family and I have a Richard Riley, born 1800 who got married in 1821 in Halifax... Wondering if you had more details of the Phebe Riley?

Many thanks if you are able to help me out

Comment

Working...
                                X