No announcement yet.

Family Tree Maker programme versus ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family Tree Maker programme versus ???

I have an extremely old version of Family Tree Maker and having now got a new laptop I am thinking that this will now be a good time to treat myself to either a later version of FTM or alternatively change package. What do you think?

Thanks, in anticipation ......

I've been a Family Tree Maker user for many years, starting with I think version 3!
    I now use FTM 2011 and can't really fault it, unlike a couple of the previous versions they brought out, namely 2008 & 2009.

There is a good deal at the moment from Amazon - FTM2011 with a free 6 month Premium package subscription to Ancestry (worth 53.70) - costs 29.99 pounds which includes free delivery in the UK

There is also a slightly better offer for Family Tree Maker 2011 using your Tesco club card points if you have any!

There are of course other programs available, links to some of which you will find in the Genealogy Software section in our Reference Library.
    Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine, I will look into this offer, however, I already have Ancestry so may see if I can delay it until March when my existing sub expires! Also looking on Amazon I see there is a FTM "Who do you think you are version" - does anyone know the difference, or is it just the name?

Thanks

Comment

Don't worry if you already have an Ancestry subscription. You don't have to activate the free subscription when you install the program - it can be activated at any time you want.
        Elaine

Comment

I recently got a free copy of FTM through Tesco's clubcard points, and have to say I wasn't impressed!

I'd rather stick to Family Historian, which I've had for a number of years

Comment

I think it's just a question of what you are used to. I've tried Family Historian in the past and just didn't get on with it.
            Elaine

Comment

I saw FTM in WhSmith for only £19.99

Researching:
              FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Originally posted by TrevorFranklin View Post
                I saw FTM in WhSmith for only £19.99
                There are different packages. You can get a single disc edition which I think has a one month free subscription to Ancestry, the Deluxe version which comes with a free 3 month Essential subscription and the Platinum Edition which comes with a free 6 month Premium subscription.
                The Platinum certainly seems to be the best value.
                Elaine

Comment

I agree with Elaine. I had FTM 2005 but that wasn't compatible with my new laptop which has Windows 7 so I had to upgrade to FTM 2010 (this was about a year ago).

I hated it at first because it is very different but decided to persevere with it and quite like it now. I used the 6 months free Ancestry then but have just bought FTM 2011 to get another 6 months. Before I bought it I rang Ancestry and they confirmed that I can activate the free period at any time, and that it made no difference that I'd already had another free period. I haven't decided yet whether to actually use the software.
                  Jackie

Comment

Jackie, if you are using FTM 2010 at the moment then I would recommend you install the 2011 version. There have been quite a few improvements although they are not that obvious! Certainly adding sources has improved as has the charts, reports and book options. I also feel the whole program runs just a little bit quicker.
                    Elaine

Comment

I may well try it then, Elaine. Did everything transfer over from one to the other properly?
                      Jackie

Comment

Yes no problem. It installs as a separate program, so you can still revert back to 2010 if you want to.
                        However, what it did seem to do was to automatically detect the files I had used in FTM 2010 and open them in 2011. I may have told it to do this, or it may have done it without asking, I'm not sure! Might be a good idea just to back everything up before you install, just in case you wish to continue using 2010, although I cannot see why you would.
                        Elaine

Comment

Thanks for that. Think that's a job for next week.
                          Jackie

Comment

Working...
                          X