Looking for anything, the more the merrier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for anything, the more the merrier

I'm on the trawl for anything for this little family group shown below but in particular anything that may hint at #2, #3 and #5. I have some bits that suggest that Page Goulson remarried in Boston, Lincs in the 1740's, his bride being a widow but nothing concrete to confirm anything.

Family Group Sheet for :
    Benjamin Goulson and Mary Page

Husband Benjamin Goulson
    Born 1677
    Married 27 May 1703 Sulney,Nottinghamshire
    Other Spouse(s)
    Died 25 Jun 1731 Ropsley Lincolnshire
    Parents

Wife Mary Page
    Born 1676
    Other Spouse(s)
    Died 21 Jan 1729 Ropsley Lincolnshire
    Parents

Children
    Elizabeth Goulson
    Born 1704 Ropsley, Lincs
    Spouse
    Married
    Died

Page Goulson
    Born 1705 Ropsley, Lincs
    Spouse
    Married
    Died

Benjamin Goulson
    Born 1714
    Spouse
    Married

Joseph Goulson
    Born 17 Oct 1707 Lincolnshire
    Spouse Esther Everitt
    Married 26 Dec 1734 Irnham, Lincolnshire
    Died 1780 Great Ponton,Lincolnshire

Mary Goulson
    Born 1712 Ropsley, Lincs
    Spouse
    Married

Henry Goulson
    Born 1716 Ropsley, Lincs
    Spouse
    Married
    Died 1716 Ropsley, Lincs
    Elizabeth Goulson
    Born 1718 Ropsley, Lincs
    Spouse
    Married
    Died 1718 Ropsley, Lincs

I would appreciate anyone adding anything they might discover for this little lot. Also a pre 1700 burial at Ropsley is for a Catherine Goulson, no age or marital status given on the record unfortunately but she is also of interest, potentially a relative or ancestor to the names above?
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Possible marriage for Page Goulson - on freeReg
    Ancestry® helps you understand your genealogy. A family tree takes you back generations—the world's largest collection of online family history records makes it easy to trace your lineage.
    Elaine

Comment

Found the record of the death, this time the IGI variant spelling applies to both forename and surname (previously it has been spelt as Catherine Goulson)

Name: Katharine Gulson
      Burial Date: 14 May 1668
      Burial Place: Ropsley, Lincoln, England

Marital Status: Unknown

Is she connected??????

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

?? marriage for Benjamin - no parish given in this one
        Ancestry® helps you understand your genealogy. A family tree takes you back generations—the world's largest collection of online family history records makes it easy to trace your lineage.
        Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine, I'm sure that is the second marriage, blinky library pc's keep freezing with freereg again.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

?? Will of Page Goulson - Apothecary of Ropsley , Lincolnshire
            Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Glen in Tinsel Knickers View Post
              Thanks Elaine, I'm sure that is the second marriage, blinky library pc's keep freezing with freereg again.
              Do you need the details rather than a link?
              Elaine

Comment

Info taken from a tree on Ancestry

Page Goulson -died 1788 Ropsley
                Elaine

Comment

Mmm interesting, I keep being told there is a widow Hutton somewhere in the depths of the history but never been able to prove it.

There are a few Gulson events at Pinchbeck post 1810ish, some of that lot swing back towards the Ropsley/Grantham/Colsterworth area (known to be a haunt of the Goulson family in post #1) BUT, everything suggests that they are from a different branch that I cannot connect.

Although this is later it's from a series with Waltham Gulson mentioned, I have traced him back to a dead end and frustrated as to whether they are the same family or not.

Name: John Gulson
                  Baptism/Christening Date: 28 Dec 1853
                  Baptism/Christening Place: PINCHBECK,LINCOLN,ENGLAND
                  Father's Name: Waltham Gulson
                  Mother's Name: Harriet
                  Collection: England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Another Ancestry tree
                    This database contains family trees submitted to Ancestry by users who have indicated that their tree can be viewed by all Ancestry subscribers.

Page Goulson - married Hannah GEE b: 1721 in Lincs, Great Hale
                    Married: 23 DEC 1742 in Lincs, Boston, St Botolph

No sources with these Ancestry entries, but might give you something to work with.
                    Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                      Info taken from a tree on Ancestry

Page Goulson -died 1788 Ropsley
                      That's where I always come unstuck Elaine, there are a few names in the tree such as Joshua Page, the chap you mention there is actually a Josh Page, Apothecary with a will on TNA but he dropped the Josh in the probate record for some reason. The probate names five nephews called Benjamin and two called Page!!!!!!!

I wonder if that tree isn't possibly mine :o but maybe not, (I can't access it without a sub).

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

I wonder if that tree isn't possibly mine :o but maybe not, (I can't access it without a sub).
                        I'll send you the tree submitter details by pm.
                        Elaine

Comment

Stil not getting them Elaine, though Edward Hands is known to me, just noticed the Pinkam tree on there too, frightening to think they have taken stuff from my TP and pm's and mangled it all to hell and back!!! They have a Page b1768 and dying in the USA, even though they have the picture of his headstone in rural Ropsley. I ask you, what do some people do with info before they completely mangle it???

Noticed a Page b1832 in the Sanderman tree, died in Vermont apparantly, despite his death cert and headstone being in deepest Lincolnshire again, and the pictures of the stone I have came from my very own camera too!!!!

The Colin B Gurney (Coventry) Family Tree looks potentially interesting, I have harboured a suspicion about possible Coventry links for a long time but it's one of those with a lot of Benjamin entries again and a smattering of fancy Latin spellings for the likes of William (seem to head of towards Louth at some point with several entries for a Benjamin in the LG).

nOTE TO SELF, LINCS DIRECTORY OF 1830'S mentions a wIlliam? (surgeon), St Peter's, Lincoln, + William and Ann married at Pinchbeck

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Mmm interesting, I keep being told there is a widow Hutton somewhere in the depths of the history but never been able to prove it.

There are a few Gulson events at Pinchbeck post 1810ish, some of that lot swing back towards the Ropsley/Grantham/Colsterworth area (known to be a haunt of the Goulson family in post #1) BUT, everything suggests that they are from a different branch that I cannot connect.

Although this is later it's from a series with Waltham Gulson mentioned, I have traced him back to a dead end and frustrated as to whether they are the same family or not.

Collection: England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975
                            Possibly a son of this marriage:
                            1843 06-Mar GULSON, Waltham s/o William & WHYERS, Harriett d/o Harry m at Pinchbeck
                            Which comes from this resource: http://mi.lincolnshiremarriages.org.uk/

I notice that the name GOSLING is also to be found in Pinchbeck - is there any connection?

Christine
                            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

H i Christine

Nothing for the Gosling name connects that I am aware of. Part of my problem is that I have traced several of the male lines but not been able to do the same for the females.

Another thing i am trying to do is see if the events in the assorted towns are connected.

Waltham Gulson for instance is in a mini tree I have created but so far he doesn't connect that I can see, however he and his descendants seem to land back in amongst my proven family at the right sort of time.

Name: Waltham Gulson
                              Baptism/Christening Date: 11 Jan 1851

Name: William Henry Gulson

Name: Betsey Gulson

Name: Harriet Gulson

Name: Waltham Gulson
                              Baptism/Christening Date: 25 Nov 1852

And from Freereg:
                              25 Dec 1865 GULSON Thomas Lincolnshire Pinchbeck Father Surname
                              25 Dec 1865 GULSON Harry Lincolnshire Pinchbeck Father Surname

Thinking about it it is probably worth asking for a census lookup for the Goulson/Gulson name in Pinchbeck. That might make things a little clearer in the big scheme of things.
                              Last edited by Glen in Tinsel Knickers; 31-12-10, 12:19.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Groom's Name: J0hn Hill
                                Groom's Birth Date: 1839
                                Groom's Age: 23
                                Bride's Name: Elizabeth Gulson
                                Bride's Birth Date: 1844
                                Bride's Age: 18
                                Marriage Date: 14 Apr 1862
                                Marriage Place: Bourne, Lincolnshire, England
                                Groom's Father's Name: Thomas Hill
                                Bride's Father's Name: Waltham Gulson

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

There is a William Goulson, landlord of the Five Bells at Pinchbeck in 1835. I suspect he could be the chap who married Ann Jarvis as there is a family group of baptisms there with parents Wiilliam and Ann, again I haven't been able to sort out if they belong or not.

Edit.....
                                  Ha!!

County Lincolnshire
                                  Place Pinchbeck
                                  Church St. Mary

BaptismDate 27 Mar 1820
                                  Forename Waltham
                                  Sex M
                                  FatherForename William
                                  MotherForename Ann
                                  FatherSurname GULSON

Abode Pinchbeck
                                  FatherOccupation Labourer

2nd edit, baptsims of children born to William and Anne:

22 Oct 1825 GULSON Anne Lincolnshire Pinchbeck
                                  17 May 1829 GULSON John Lincolnshire Pinchbeck
                                  09 Aug 1831 GULSON Betsy Lincolnshire Pinchbeck
                                  01 Jan 1817 GULSON Thomas Christopher Lincolnshire Pinchbeck
                                  29 Jan 1818 GULSON William Lincolnshire Pinchbeck
                                  11 Feb 1819 GULSON Anne Lincolnshire Pinchbeck

Wonder if this may be the end of William??

Bourne, Lincolnshire
                                  Church St Peter & St Paul
                                  RegisterNumber
                                  BurialDate 23 Jan 1835

Forename William
                                  Surname GULSON
                                  Age 50

Notes stranger ?
                                  Last edited by Glen in Tinsel Knickers; 31-12-10, 12:46.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Nothing for the Gosling name connects that I am aware of.
                                    I mentioned it only because it's the kind of name which could morph into GOULSON: GOSLING ~ GOSLIN ~ GOLSIN ~ GOLSON ~ GOULSON or something like that.

Christine
                                    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

The Grantham file has this marriage:
                                      1839 04-Jun ARNOLD, William, s/o Stephen to GOULSON, Mary, d/o Joseph at Grantham St Wulfram

and this one:
                                      01-Oct PARNHAM, George, s/o George to GULSON, Ann, d/o George at Ancaster

Christine

Comment

Thanks Christine

The Ancaster connection is always one that is difficult to work out, (same with the Heckington and Ewerby areas which are more or less all side by side), some records in the spelling of Goulson and some in Gulson, these overlap chronologically and they often share the same forenames, I suspect that there are some instances where the same family have different events recorded under the two spellings but it's a trawl through stuff at the archives methinks to find the entire collection and work through them.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Working...
                                        X