Just starting out!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just starting out!

Just starting out & am not sure where to go now Can anyone help? Have great g/dad Charles King marriage & death certs and 1911 census gives birth place as Rochester Kent and all these give the same year of birth as 1882, but cannot find birth index for him. I cannot connect him to the family i think is his in the 1891 census without birth cert confirming mothers name. would be grateful for any advice.

What is the name of Charles' father and his occupation - this should be on the marriage certificate.
    Do the witnesses on the marriage certificate appear to be family members?
    Elaine

Comment

Can you also give the reference for the 1911 census - or details of the family he is with.
      Elaine

Comment

hi elaine ,charles father was henry king deceased contractor on marriage cert of 1910 woolwich then kent do not recognise witnesses as family members, address is correct as where my grandad was born. The 1911 census number on census return 229. RG NO RG14 piece 2865. other family members; Kate king wife, charles a king son, james king son and henry a king son.

Comment

Is this the 1891 census which you think may be correct
          RG12; Piece: 656; Folio 59; Page 21
          Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!

This may be his birth registration
          Births Dec 1881
          KING Charles James
          Medway 2a 525

I wonder if there are any parish register entries on the CityArk website which may be of help.
          Elaine

Comment

yes that the one, and i did wonder about that birth index but have no reference at all to a middle name. i have searched the parish records on cityark and cant find any entries for charles or any of the other children in that census, but have found two entries for henry and think sarah`s may be there as well.
            many thanks
            tracey

Comment

Hi Tracey, is this Charles's widowed mother in 1901

Source Citation: Ancestry...... Class: RG13; Piece: 724; Folio: 102; Page: 21.

or

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...0&recoff=1+2+3
              Last edited by Inahaystack; 29-12-10, 03:23. Reason: add info.

Comment

Thank you so much, I think this may be her! Although she seems to have lost a henry and gained a harry the children are the same as previous census also they are showing middle names which I have suspected all along as i have been unable to trace birth index`s for any of the children (only with a middle initial). I couldnt find her on the 1901 so thank you again!!
                Tracey

Comment

Hi - The name Harry and Henry seem to be interchangeable for some reason. Think Prince Harry (actually Henry)!

Comment

Originally posted by Gill D View Post
                    Hi - The name Harry and Henry seem to be interchangeable for some reason. Think Prince Harry (actually Henry)!
                    Just like HenryVIII - known as good king Hal (for Harry)

Comment

Originally posted by tracey6932 View Post
                      Thank you so much, I think this may be her! Although she seems to have lost a henry and gained a harry the children are the same as previous census also they are showing middle names which I have suspected all along as i have been unable to trace birth index`s for any of the children (only with a middle initial). I couldnt find her on the 1901 so thank you again!!
                      Tracey
                      Several instances amongst my ancestors of having been christened/registered with a single name, and somewhere along the line acquiring an extra one or two !
                      Nina

Comment

thanx, yes my grandad was also born henry king and i always new him as harry!

Comment

Hi there,

This isn't really answering your question but I just wanted to give you a piece of advice, sorry if you have already thought of it.... I started my research in October 2009 and it went really well - I recorded some of the information, but (stupidly) kept some of it in my head. Some of the information I recorded in a notebook, some on loose bits of paper that I kept in a file, some of it on the computer, some of it in an excel file, then some of it in Family Tree Maker the program. Recently, I've taken a step back to deal with real life events, and now I'm going back to it I can honestly say I don't know where to start, or where I even stopped! All the names and dates sound so similar, I can't remember what I've looked for, what I haven't looked for, so it is a hopelessly daunting task. I honestly thought I would never forget the info! I felt so connected to the people, that I could recall all the specifics in my head; or so I thought!

I just wanted to say it, in the hope that you might be able to record things well from the word go, and avoid the mess I'm in!

Very best of luck with your research!

Regards
                          Rachel

Comment

Originally posted by tracey6932 View Post
                            Tracey
                            Harry is a very common usage for people who where named Henry.

Margaret

Comment

Harry is a nickname for Henry just as Molly is for Mary and so on. It's very common for people to acquire or lose middle names or switch them round. If everything else fits I guess the birth reg you've found is probably the right one.
                              ~ with love from Little Nell~
                              Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

It might be worth double checking though - my Grandfather was always known as Harry, but used the name Henry on official forms, as that was on his birth certificate. However, it wasn't until my sister and I started doing our family tree that we found out that he had been christened Harry, Henry was his older brother who died at 1 year old just before Harry was born was born. He'd been using his dead brothers birth cert. all his life!

Linda
                                Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Working...
                                X