census and birth registration story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• census and birth registration story

My early xmas present is the parish records of Wantage so I've been working on some sibling lines. 1881 census has Lizzie b 1877 and Lily R born 1880. Then in 1891 the family has a Lizzie R 1880. mmm I say --- where is Lily. By the time I get to 1901 Lizzie and Lily are back. I suspect the census taker was transcribing the records onto the master sheet and skipped a line --- started on Lizzie and finished with Lily.

Then there was the family on 1891 census who had a daughter born 1883. The birth was registered in free bmd in 1887.

So just a note for beginners. One must be a detective and think outside the box when working with these old records. They were not created with us, 21st century genealogists, in mind:D
    Donelda

searching for the Berkshire Hobbises, Rowles, Staniford, Rogers, Parkers, Thackhams, Gouts, LeBouviers, Heaphys and Wilsons

Donelda

I agree. I have several instances where I am positive the enumerator filled in pages of the census by column downwards, rather than by line across, leading to some confusing information for the unwary. I am also sure he got fed up occasionally and just did a column of dittos for "place of birth".

It is well to remember that a census record is not a primary source of information (apart from the 1911, when the householder filled in the form himself and made his own, original mistakes, lol)

OC

Comment

Best to be wary about any information and not expect census info to match up. I'm always quite surprised if I find everyone has aged the appropriate 10 years exactly between censuses and if they still have the same name without variations, as well as the same birthplace!
      ~ with love from Little Nell~
      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I've just had a positive contact from a GR member. Way back they had a different set of parents for someone. Having rechecked my information, they had got it right. I had latched on to the forenames in the 1841 census, which were completely different from later censuses. But since it's the Ancestry transcription of Scottish censuses, anything goes. Now I have a family living in the same street for nearly 50 years and a consistent surname spelling, which makes much more sense than what I had.
        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
        X