Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you say these are related?

1841 Census - Mitcham, District 3, page 3
    Transcription error Surname is actually Pearcy!
    Joseph Pacey aged 34 living in Church St., Mitcham, Surrey with his family.
    Catherine Wife, aged 36.
    John, son, aged 7
    Jane aged 4
    Charles aged 1
    I have the birth certificate for Charles Pearcy aged one on this census.

1841 Census Mitcham Dist 3, page 6
    Address: Bull Yard, Mitcham
    Joseph Pacey, 63, c.1778 Calico Printer.
    Charles 20, c.1821 Printer
    Emily, 15, c.1826
    I'm wondering if this is Joseph's father.....on page 3 above.

1851 Census (Transcription Error again)
    Address: Bull Yard, Mitcham, Surrey
    Joseph Peacy age 45, ‘Brick’ Labourer, born c.1806, Mitcham, Surrey
    Catherine 49, born c.1802, Margate Kent.
    Jane 13, born c.1838 Mitcham
    Charles 11, born c.1840 Mitcham
    Joseph 9, born c.1842 Mitcham
    Harriet 7, born c.1844 Mitcham
    John aged 18, a labourer, has left home and is in lodgings at Common Side East, Mitcham

1851 Census
    Address: Bull Yard Mitcham Surrey
    Charles Pearcy 29, Single, House Painter, born c.1822 Mitcham, Surrey
    Charles Pearcy's marriage (London Records on Ancestry.com) to Mercy Glenister states his father's name as Joseph Pearcy.

1851 Census
    Address: Commonside East, Mitcham, Surrey
    Emma Pearcy, 24, Single, born c.1827 Mitcham, Surrey

These Pearcy's are driving me nuts!
    teresa

Records from the Familysearch Beta Database.

All baptisms Mitcham Surrey, parents: Joseph and Elizabeth

Joseph Pacey 7th Aug 1808
    Harriet Pacey 28 Nov 1813
    Emma Pacey, 14 Sep 1823
    Caroline Pacy, 24 Nov 1811
    Mary Pacy, 24 Nov 1811

Baptisms BEDDINGTON WITH WALLINGTON,SURREY, parents: Joseph and Elizabeth

Sarah Pasey, 22 Mar 1807
    Elizabeth Pasey, Aug 1805

Comment

Seems very likely doesnt it.

Comment

i should think so, unless the marriage cert occupation doesnt match the fathetrs on census?

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
          i should think so, unless the marriage cert occupation doesnt match the fathetrs on census?
          Charles Pearcy of Full age married Mercy Glenister on 8th Aug 1853. Address for both given as 'Clapham' only.
          Marriage record shows that Charles Pearcy is a 'Painter' and his father Joseph Pearcy is recorded as a 'Labourer'.

I reckon that Joseph Pearcy aged 45 on 1851 census is a brother of Charles Pearcy aged on 29 on the 1851 Census.
          Do you agree with that?

I've researched both Charles and Joseph Pearcy's families through later census records and their childrens names are almost identical.

I cannot find a likely record for Charles Pearcy on the 1841 apart from the one 'Charles Pacey'.

Plus the fact that 'Joseph Pacey' I know is actually Joseph Pearcy. Same enumerator's writing too so I'm wondering if there was a misunderstanding of the surname.

I can't find Joseph Pacey on 1851 Census or a death for the Joseph Pacey, (aged 63 on 1841 Census)

Come to that, I can't find the death for a Joseph Pearcy between 1841-1851 either.

If only I could find a marriage record of Joseph Pearcy marring Catherine Danton (recorded as born Margate) then I would have some proof of his father's name!
          teresa

Comment

theres a joseph pacey death in croydon in 1848, mitcham comes under croydon district.

if you do a phonetics search on 'pacey', it comes up with: peck, pike, powis, pugh, page, pegg, peachy, peak, pizzey, poague, posee and pascoe.ut i think the death in 1848 will be the man you want.

b

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
              theres a joseph pacey death in croydon in 1848, mitcham comes under croydon district.

if you do a phonetics search on 'pacey', it comes up with: peck, pike, powis, pugh, page, pegg, peachy, peak, pizzey, poague, posee and pascoe.ut i think the death in 1848 will be the man you want.

b
              Oh, I must have missed that one, thanks. I was going boss eyed searching through the death records!

So It would appear that his name is Joseph Pacey and not Joseph Pearcy then.

Which brings me to Charles' Pearcy's father as being Joseph Pearcy a labourer, as I'm researching the Pearcy family.

Do I assume that, Joseph Pearcy born c.1806 Mitcham... his father is also Joseph Pearcy?

So frustrating not being able to find anything concrete about Joseph Pearcy born c.1806 Mitcham, before the 1841 census. My OH is descended from him.
              teresa

Comment

Hi, Kathsgirl
                not sure if I can help but I am the 4 x Granddaughter of Joseph Pierce ( although it has changed in spelling through the census).
                my Grandmother Elizabeth Pierce b. 1897. married Frank Brotherton in 1917.

Comment

Working...
                X