Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corps of royal engineers & anthony james browne

CORPS OF ROYAL ENGINEERS & ANTHONY JAMES BROWNE
    I am having difficulty finding my gt gt grandfather's Anthony James Browne's wife's name and details for their son Charles Anthony Brown/e. Anthony James Browne is on the 1841 Plymouth Census with Corps of Royal Engineers. His son Charles Anthony Brown born 1828 is mentioned along with a housekeeper but no wife.
    Most of the family come from Hampshire and Anthony James Browne remarried in 1844 as a widower in Droxford.
    It has been suggested that a military record may have been kept regarding the first marriage and Charles Anthony Brown's birth (not in Plymouth).

Are the necessary BMD records military and only located in England? How could I get access to the correct records from Australia? I found the second marriage on free BMD.

Many thanks

MHS
    hscott21c

Searching: Buxey, Taulbut, Brown/e & Jannaway - Hampshire.

According to the 1841 census, Anthony James Brown was the Clerk of Works at the Citadel, Plymouth at a time when the Corps of Engineers were garrisoned there. I have checked the Regimental birth indices that are available on FMP and can find no trace of the birth of son Charles Anthony, similarly no trace of a marriage for Anthony....... I will check later to see if Anthony had any Army record prior to 1841.

On the 1851 census Anthony, his second wife Martha nee Jannaway and several children are residing in Droxford, Hampshire. Anthony's place of birth is given as Glasgow and age as 52. His occupation given as Superintendant C R E ( Chief Resident Engineer ?) Department. Alas, I have no idea to what body this department belongs to !

Have you tried Scotlands People to see if you can find a birth and/or marriage ? Maybe someone on this forum may be able to help.

Nina.

Comment

Originally posted by Inahaystack View Post
      According to the 1841 census, Anthony James Brown was the Clerk of Works at the Citadel, Plymouth at a time when the Corps of Engineers were garrisoned there. I have checked the Regimental birth indices that are available on FMP and can find no trace of the birth of son Charles Anthony, similarly no trace of a marriage for Anthony....... I will check later to see if Anthony had any Army record prior to 1841.

On the 1851 census Anthony, his second wife Martha nee Jannaway and several children are residing in Droxford, Hampshire. Anthony's place of birth is given as Glasgow and age as 52. His occupation given as Superintendant C R E ( Chief Resident Engineer ?) Department. Alas, I have no idea to what body this department belongs to !

Have you tried Scotlands People to see if you can find a birth and/or marriage ? Maybe someone on this forum may be able to help.

Nina.

Thanks so much for your reply. Anthony James Browne was born in Glasgow in 1791. Not sure why. His parents appear to be AJB snr and Elizabeth (Bett) Campion and were married in Alverstoke in 1780. All their children were baptised at St Thomas' in Portsmouth. AJB snr was a Cheesemonger in Portsmouth and later bankrupted. Would Cheesemongers have gone to Glasgow because it was a merchant city?

I thought Superintendant CRE stood for Superintendent in the Corps of Royal Engineers. My father was told that he gained his engineering qualification in Germany because the silhouette picture of him has engineer spelled similar to the German word. ?? Couldn't find anything on LDS.

Family stories say that Anthony James Browne was involved in building the Portsdown Hill forts (Palmerston Forts) and my father even believed he lived there. But it may be that Anthony James Browne was the caretaker later on in the 1850's.

A distant relative did look around Scotland's People to no avail.

The Brownes and the Jannaways seem to have always been around Droxford Shedfield area in Hampshire. As the 1841 Plymouth Citadel census said that Charles Anthony b: 1828 was born out of the count, I thought it might be Hampshire. I haven't been able to confirm that. If he was with the Corps of Royal Engineers he may have moved around, but it was generally thought he was in Hampshire. But which parish?

Once again, many thanks and any help would be much appreciated.
      hscott21c

Comment

AJB snr was a Cheesemonger in Portsmouth and later bankrupted.
        Might be a mention in the London Gazette http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/search .

Or, if your library membership gives you access... (or has one of the big sites got it free for a few days?) The Times Digital Archive &/or British Library C19th Century Newspaper Collection.

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Found this on Wiki - The Corps of Royal Engineers, usually just called the Royal Engineers (RE), and commonly known as the Sappers, is one of the corps of the British Army. It provides military engineering and other technical support to the British Armed Forces. It is headed by the Chief Royal Engineer.

So , does it mean that AJB was Superindendant in the CRE dept.?

here is the link to the full page, there may be some pointers there.

Have checked the available on line Army records, but no luck, perhaps if AJB did serve, his records were amongst the 'burnt papers'. Wonder if Regtl.HQ would have any info ?

Nina

Nina

Comment

Christine & Nina

Thanks for your ongoing help. These look like good resources. But I think those military records are what I need.
            hscott21c

Comment

Another link that may help - may narrow down the search

Nina

Comment

Working...
              X