Scotland search query please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scotland search query please?

Can anyone tell me please if I am missing something on Scotlands people.
    This afternoon I wanted to see if I could find out what had happened to an old friend from when I was young. I knew the name of the person they had married and roughly when, so I found the marriage ok in 1960. I searched for their deaths but unfortunately one had died in 1983 and one in 1986, both quite young.
    I wanted to try and find out if they had any children, but because it isn't of vital importance I can't justify sending for a death cert. The surname would have been very common in Scotland but the brides surname I believe is less common. However, there doesn't appear to be any way of doing a free search for births of children with mmn included.
    Am I missing something?
    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

I use SP a lot so if you would like to PM me I can have a go - just in case.

Edit - just had a thought -- on births, the parents names don't appear on the index - they do on the OPRs (pre 1855) but not on statutory records.

One tip is to use the mothers maiden name in the first name slot as often Scottish children had their mother's maiden name as a middle name. It should show up even without the first name.

EG - Father James Smith, mother Jane Bean.
    If you search for a Bean Smith then you could get a list of children with Bean as a middle name - Jane Bean Smith, Robert Bean Smith, James Bean Smith etc.

May be worth a try if the mother's maiden name is unusual.
    I have tried it for mine and it does work.
    Good luck.
    Last edited by herky; 20-12-10, 19:49.
    herky
    Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

I'm not sure of this, but is it something to do with the births being within the last 50 years?

OC

Comment

I did a check on my grandad's birth in 1903 and the parents names are not on the index.
        herky
        Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Thank you everyone I had to shoot off I'm afraid and have only just got back on for a minute. I will look and digest properly tomorrow but I didn't want anyone to think I was ignoring replies. Thanks again

Comment

Thank you again Herky You're suggestion re mothers name in Christian name section worked. It looks as though there are 9.
            Can anyone tell me please, did I read somewhere that the price is going up to £7 minimum but that they will last for 12 months instead of 30 days? I used my last credit yesterday and as I don't need Scotland very often it would be worth the extra pound for them to last longer.

Comment

Hi,
              Good news that it worked.

Yes, I read somewhere, on a forum, that the price is going up but the time lengthening but can't think where I saw it.
              Of course, even though credits expire after a certain time, they become reactivated when you buy more - I think that is the case I go through so many that mine never get a chance to run out of time.

It would be good to know when the price is going up as I would like to stockpile some credits in time for the release of the 1911 census when I will go mad on my searches. I have a feeling that they may well put the price up before the release - it would make good business sense. I still think SP is great value.
              I will have a look and see where that info about the increase came from.
              herky

Comment

Page 3 on genes Tip board has a thread about the price rise. About half way down.
                herky

Comment

Thank you again Herky, I will go and have a look. I didn't think what was left did get reactivated. If it does I might as well pay £6 now.
                  It sounds as though I'm being a bit mean but as it isn't family I can't really justify £6 for 1 credit :D

Comment

i wish scotlandspeople would get a sub!! that way u dont burn through credits!

Comment

It is now sorted, with many thanks for Herky's help

Comment

Working...
                      X