marriage help in victoria

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• marriage help in victoria

i have mary matheson, b.1822 applecross, scotland daughter of dugald matheson and beatrix mckenzie, who must have died not long after, as all her children say their mother is dugalds second wife rebecca mclennan. she emmigrated to victoria in 1853, aboard the new zealander, with her brother alexander and sister rebecca, and their aunt and uncle, both were mathesons, so which side they fit on is still a mystery.

mary reid nee matheson died on 7th june 1897, in penshurst, victoria, not far from hamilton, where the rest of the family settled. her parents were dugald matheson and rebecca mclelland. her husbands name was andrew ross reid, and they married c.1856 in port fairy according to the cert.

i can find no evidence of the marriage. i was wondering if i gave the childrens names and years of birth, if somone could look them up on the vic cds, and tell me what the fathers name is, so i can track the marriage cert?

the kids were: eliza dead in 1897, john 38 b.1859, mary 35 b.1862 and isabella 32 b.1865

A search on ancestry brings up a marriage for Mary MADDISON and Andrew REID, but I cannot look at the details. A search on the Vic BDM website shows a marriage for Andrew Reid to Mary Maddision to be 1854.

At that time, Port Fairy was called Belfast - that's where my ILIFFE/HOUGHTON and BRITTAIN families were in the 1850s, too.

Di
    Last edited by dicole; 20-12-10, 21:12.
    Diane
    Sydney Australia
    Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

thanx di, that looks very good!! now i have to wait for payday, which is feeling too long away!!

Comment

I am desc. of John Reid, son to Mary Matheson & Andrew Ross Reid. They were married 25.10.1854. Have copy of marriage cert. but shows Mary's name as Maddison but I have Mathison. This was Andrew's 1st marriage. Interesting story. My tree is on Genes Reunited. Please make contact.

Comment

Welcome to FTF, Sussexval. I think you're in with a good chance of a response to your message, because kylejustin has been quite busy on the site lately, even though this particular thread is not very recent.

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

haha christine, your post me laugh! i hope by 'being busy' i've been helpful! i dont want to be a bother!

sussexval, im so excited now! i have done a lot of research into the matheson's. i havnt got much further back, but i know hat happened to most of mary's siblings, and some of her nieces and nephews.

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
              haha christine, your post me laugh! i hope by 'being busy' i've been helpful! i dont want to be a bother!

<snip>
              No negative connotation intended. I'd just noticed that you'd had threads of your own and contributions to others' threads. Good to have people active on the site.

Christine
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

i like being able to help for once. a lot of the time i look at a thread and think "i can help' and then someone has already beat me to it!

Comment

Working...
                X