Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lingwood Toovey - looking for info

Hi
    I wonder if somebody could find out a little more on Lingwood Toovey.
    I found an entry on "UK CENSUS ONLINE" and it lists him on the 1841 census for kent.
    Information is Lingwood Toovey age 73. born 1768.

I have been searching for quite a while to find out more about him, but i can't find anything else.
    There is a good chance he may have been born in Essex and is the father of Richard Duppa Toovey who was born in 1798.
    I would love to solve this mystery.
    Hoping someone can help.
    regards
    tidders
    researching Tidball, Toovey, Manley, Fairchild, Courtier, Debois, McConchie, Wardlaw

Can you give the census reference for the 1841 census?

The only one I can see is a Lingwood Toovey age 13 living in Westerham, Kent - with possible parents Richard & Sarah
    Class: HO107; Piece 485; Book: 13; Civil Parish: Westerham; County: Kent; Enumeration District: 16; Folio: 24; Page: 11; Line: 23
    It has been transcribed as Singwood Toovey on Ancestry

Household:
    Richard Toovey 45
    Sarah Toovey 40
    Lingwood Toovey 13
    Henry Toovey 9
    Charles Toovey 6 - born Kent
    Matilda Toovey 4 - born Kent
    Jane Toovey 3 - born Kent
    Ann Toovey 1 - born Kent

Richard, Sarah, Lingwood & Henry born out of county.
    Elaine

Comment

Hi Elaine
      I found the entry on www.ukcensusonline.com/free-search

In this family there was a Isabella Lingwood Toovey. She was born in 1826 Colchester Essex. Parents Richard and Sarah.
      That is what is confusing me with this entry on UK Census online where it states Lingwood Toovey age 73 Born 1768.
      I have just rechecked this website and it takes you to the genealogist,co.uk.
      I am not a member but a free search says there are 2 entries for 1841 census. One in Kent and one in London.
      I must have been lucky previously as i was able to download a results page which contained 9 matches for Toovey for Kent in 1841.
      tidders
      researching Tidball, Toovey, Manley, Fairchild, Courtier, Debois, McConchie, Wardlaw

Comment

Hi Tidders,

the isabella in the 1841 is at a ladies school,

Head street, Colchester. St mary at the walls.

Sarah Lingwood age 60 ind, not born in county
        Emily Lingwood age 28 b.in county
        Matilda Lingwood age 26 b.in county
        Isabella toovey age 18 b.in county

there are other names but I dont think that they are relevant.

Class: HO107; Piece 344; Book: 11; Civil Parish: St Mary At The Walls; County: Essex; Enumeration District: 1; Folio: 8; Page: 11; Line: 6; GSU roll: 241380.
        Julie
        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Looks like Isabella married too:

Name: Isabella Lingwood Toovey
          Year of Registration: 1868
          Quarter of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec
          District: St George Hanover Square
          County: London, Middlesex
          Volume: 1a
          Page: 479

to either William Neston Heathcote or Benjamin Taylor
          Julie

Comment

She married William Neston Heathcote and she died in Bath in 1900.

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Tom View Post
              She married William Neston Heathcote and she died in Bath in 1900.
              ~~~ to Tom

I looked for a marriage but couldnt see it,
              Julie

Comment

Hi Tidders
                I see from some of the Kent baptisms that Sarah's maiden name was Whittaker.
                The Sarah Lingwood age 60 in 1841 at the ladies school, Colchester may be this person.
                Sarah Whitaker Lingwood age 71 buried Colchester St Mary at the Walls on 17th July 1844.
                Moggie

Comment

Hi Tidders
                  I know this is a long shot but I think this couple could be Richard’s parents; note Frances’ maiden name.

Hertfordshire, Hunsdon, St Dunstan
                  Marriage on 24 Mar 1791 William TOOVEY, widower, from parish of Harlow
                  & Frances SMALLMAN
                  Witnesses Ebra? SMALLMAN &Wm ANDERSON
                  There is a reference to a marriage settlement & also references to Netteswell on this link.(Hope it works)

Downloadable wills on the TNA site which also may relate to them.
                  Will of William Toovey, Miller of Netteswell , Essex 26 September 1805
                  Will of Frances Toovey, Widow of Hunsdon , Hertfordshire 01 December 1813

This marriage for possibly Richard’s brother.
                  HertfordshireHunsdon St Dunstan
                  Marriage on 09 Feb 1814 William TOOVEY, bachelor from parish of St George's Canterbury.
                  & Elizabeth NEWMAN,spinster, by licence.
                  Witnesses Mary GREEN & Eliza TOOVEY

Link to 1851 census

William F Toovey age 58 born c1793 Harlow Essex (occ Annuitant)
                  Elizabeth Toovey wife age 62 born c 1789 Stanstead Essex
                  SMALLMAN Toovey son age 26 born c1825 Canterbury Kent (occ Master Mariner)
                  Alfred Toovey son age 24 born c1827 Sawbridgeworth Herts
                  Edwin Toovey son age 23 born c1828 Sawbridgeworth Herts (occ Landscape painter)

Smallman Toovey married Ann Watts in 1855 at Greenwich. Two children were given the second name Gibbs as was Charles the son of Richard & Sarah.

If I am reading this correctly all these Tooveys were buried in the same grave
                  Ladywell & Brockley Cemetery
                  Memorial Inscriptions
                  9841. Ann TOOVEY 1895 54 Daughter
                  Richard Duppa TOOVEY Father
                  William TOOVEY 1914 93
                  Ann TOOVEY 1910
                  Selina WATTS 1911
                  Capt Smallman TOVEY 1868 Husband
                  Ann TOVEY 1899 Wife

Each number represents a gravestone. Currently it's not possible to say exactly where in the cemetery these are located.

Moggie

Comment

Thankyou all so much.
                    I have just woken up and am excited with all the information you all have written.
                    I am now going to digest all this and get back.

tidders

Comment

Just had a good look at all the info.
                      Based on the history of the Toovey's, they always seem to include surnames of wives as a christian name for later born children.
                      Names like Duppa, Gibbs, Smallman, Beetson and now Lingwood.
                      Also Richard and Sarah Toovey (Whitaker) ran a private school in Westerham kent.
                      It was interesting to see that Sarah Lingwood also ran a ladies school in Colchester at the same time in 1841 and Isabella Toovey was there on census night.
                      There has got to be a connection here.

The Sarah Whittaker married to Richard Duppa Toovey was born at Colchester Essex in 1800 and moved to Westerham Kent around 1830.

To Maudarby
                      I don't believe the Sarah Lingwood is the same person as the Sarah that married Richard.
                      Also I noticed that Sarah Lingwood age 60 there was no husband in 1841 present. I wonder who he is?
                      Also Sarah Lingwood would have been born around 1773.
                      Still no info on this Lingwood Toovey born 1768.?

Comment

Hi Tidders
                        Curiousity got the better of me & I have downloaded a copy of Frances Toovey's will.This proves that William & Frances were Richard's parents.The will is quite long & difficult to read so if you send me a PM with your email address I can send you a copy. Frances' will starts by quoting a 1805 will of a Richard Duppa Smallman.
                        Marriage for Richard Duppa Smallman (bachelor of Hunsdon, Herts) & Honor Calvert (spinster of the parish) at St George the Martyr, Queen, St Camden 28th Sept 1764.
                        Burial of Honour Smallman, wife of Richard Smallman (surgeon) at Hunsdon 18th May 1766
                        Burial of Richard Dupois? Smallman (surgeon) at Hunsdon 24th July 1805.

3 burials at Harlow St Mary & St Hugh
                        1791 March Mrs Abigail Toovey, vault fee, £5-5-0 (possibly William's first wife)
                        1805 July Mr William Toovey, brick grave, fee £5-5-0
                        1813 29th Oct Mrs Toovey, from Hunsdon, brick grave, fee £5-5-0

Moggie

Other children named in the will
                        William eldest? John & Eliza
                        Eliza born 1795 baptised Netteswell 24th July 1795
                        John baptised Netteswell 13th Feb 1798

1st marriage for William?
                        William Toovey & Abigail Waylett 10th June 1784 Epping, Essex
                        children Abigail baptised 29th June 1785 Hunsdon, Herts
                        & Elizabeth 13th May 1786 Hunsdon,Herts.

Possible baptism for William. Unfortunately the burial entry doesn't give his age.
                        William son of John & Frances Toovey bap Hunsdon, Herts 2nd Sept 1757

Marriage for John & Frances
                        John Toovey, widower of All Hallows, Thames St London & Frances Cundell 3rd June 1756 Hunsdon Herts. Witnesses Ann Toovey & Isaac Burton.
                        Last edited by maudarby; 21-12-10, 15:14.

Comment

This one of the marriages shows up readily on the Hertfordshire Names Online (https://www.hertsdirect.org/ufs/ufsm..._1292944129062)

William Toovey of Harlow
                          Frances Smallman
                          Hunsdon

24 Mar 1791

You can order copies of entries from the site - but they aren't cheap. Might be better to see if anyone's going to the Herts Record Office and can get a copy for you if you want it.

Christine
                          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Wow thanks again everybody.
                            What a great lookup maudarby.
                            Now I know where the name Duppa came from. It appears it came from the Smallman family. (Richard Duppa Smallman). My Great Great Grandfather was the Richard Duppa Toovey.
                            Great. Now I have the start of another generation to pursue.
                            I will send you a pm.
                            The copy of the will, will no doubt prompt more questions.

Comment

Hi Tidders
                              Copy of the will on it's way to you. There are a couple of names that I can't quite make out, perhaps you will have better luck than me.
                              Moggie

Comment

Thanks Moggie
                                Copy of the will received ok. I think I have my work cut out reading the script. I will have to use zoom.
                                I will let you know if I find anything of interest.
                                tidders

Comment

Working...
                                X