Help needed please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help needed please

I am searching for my 3x great grandparents Thomas Wheeler and Hannah Elizabeth Hickman.Both were born in Northants,he in 1800 and her in 1811.
    I have found them on the 1841 census in Gold Street,All Saints,Northants.He was a bookseller and stationer.On the 1838 birth cert of his son Walter Thomas was living in Gold street.
    Between 1841 and 1851 they moved to Hackney and on the 1851 census Thomas is described as married and living with 2 sons and 2 daughters.Hannah is nowhere to be seen and although she died,I think in 1869 I can`t find her on any other censuses.
    A kind person on this forum had a quick look in Northants records office for me but could find nothing about them.
    Please help !
    Thanks

do you have the marriage record? or know where hannah was born?

Comment

The 1841 shows Hannah as born in county so Northants.

Comment

No,I can`t find a marriage record

Comment

I would be tempted to throw that a bit farther afield tbh. I have quite a few 1841 "born in county" returns where the people were actually born in adjacent counties.
          http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
          My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
          My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Presuming you already have these from the IGI?

Mary Wheeler
            Birth Date: 12 May 1835
            Birthplace: Northampton, Northamptonshire
            Father's Name: Thomas Wheeler
            Mother's Name: Hannah Wheeler
            Record Set: RG4_0902

Frederick Wheeler
            Birth Date: 14 Jul 1833
            Birthplace: Northampton, Northamptonshire
            Father's Name: Thomas Wheeler
            Mother's Name: Hannah Wheeler
            Record Set: RG4_0902
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
            My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
            My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Yes,I do,thanks along with other baptisms of their other children

Comment

The Wheeler births/bps appearing on IGI all took place in College St BAPTIST chapel.

IF your couple were Baptists rather than C of E, that may have had an impact on where they married.

The College St chapel was still there in 2000 and is in a side street opening off Gold Street.

eta The events are on FreeReg and are births - Baptists had adult bps I believe?

Jay
                Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 18-12-10, 14:09. Reason: Addition of FreeReg info
                Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

FreeReg has the following birth at College St Baptist Chapel :

Hannah Hickman
                  dob 29 May 1807
                  daughter of John & Mary Hickman, of St Gyles St, Northampton. (St Giles St)

There's a second entry for Hannah Elizabeth, same dob, same parents, abode Riding Yard, St Giles.

Other children were
                  John 1805
                  John Docker 1809
                  Sarah 1812
                  William 1817

Jay
                  Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 18-12-10, 13:26.
                  Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

1851 census Northampton - perhaps Hannah's mother & younger brother?

William Hickman 33yrs Bookseller & stationer Living Gold St NB address & occupation
                    wife Catherine
                    mother - Mary Hickman, widowed, 72 yrs, born Guilsboro (Guilsborough is a small village outside Northampton.)

Jay
                    Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Sounds like it is possible,thanks.
                      I still can`t find Hannah on the 1851/1861 census`s though.Where was she ?

Comment

How sure are you that the 1869 death IS for YOUR Hannah? (There were other Hannah Wheelers of a similar age to yours in 1861 census - the death reg could be for one of them?? Possibly the cert would clarify this.)

Have you found Thomas in 1861, and if so, where was he?

You say in your initial post that by 1851 they had moved to Hackney, which is where they were located in 1851 census. Do you have any refs for any of the family post 1851 census?

I know Thomas said in 1851 that he was married, but I've got examples of rellies sayng this when they were actually a widow/widower

Jay
                        Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Thanks Janet,I realise I will have to bite the bullet and buy some certificates.They are just so expensive now and now you can`t even cross check them !
                          I haven`t found Thomas on any census`s after 1851 but all their children were in or around London by then in the Islington/Hackney area.The youngest son Henry was lodging with his brother,my gg grandfather in Islington.
                          I will keep plodding on,thanks again all

Comment

Working...
                          X