Searching for family

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Searching for family

I am looking for any relatives of my father norman wharton born sunderland 1917 died 1954. He met and married my mother sarah while serving in the royal navy in liverpool 1942. Any help will be appreciated.

Hi Peter, welcome to FTF.
    Do you have any names for relatives? Don't post them here in case they are still alive. If you are looking for names the birth index shows a brother Ernest S Wharton born 1911.
    Do you have your parents's marriage certificate as that will give the names of their father's and you perhaps find them on the 1911 census.
    Margaret

Comment

Looks like Ernest died 1964 in Sunderland.
      Margaret

Comment

Marriage betwwen Robert William Wharton and Jessie Hannah Allard 1900 Sunderland

1901 census. Going as William Wharton.

Class: RG13; Piece: 4722; Folio: 160; Page: 34.
        Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Beat me to it Wendy! Going as William in 1911 too.

There are 5 children before Ernest in 1911 so lots of relatives.

Margaret

Comment

Hi margaretmarch, on the marrriage cert his father is named william wharton master butcher 80 milburn st sunderland, and that he was deceased. I was 7 when my dad died but i recolect the name.thanks for replying as i havent got a clue where to start. Peter

Comment

Sounds like we have found the right family for you. If you have a subscription to ancestry.co.uk you can look at the 1901 census that WendyPusey has found for you.
              I have sent you a private message so click on 'notifications' at the top of the page for a message.
              What are you trying to achieve with this? Relatives going back and any that might be living now?
              Margaret

Comment

From the 1901 census there is a daughter Florence Wharton b1900. You may be able to look at the census that go from 1841 to 1901 on the ancestry site from your local library if you haven't signed up for a subscription yourself.
                There is a lot of information on this site in the Reference Library at the top of the screen - there's a beginners guide that will take you through step by step of what to do.
                Margaret

Comment

Will do, thanks again margaret. Regards peter

Comment

Peter, another good site for you to use for North East records is http://www.durhamrecordsonline.com You do have to buy credits to see the information but there are so many local records now you are sure to find something you need. What I like is the fact you receive an e-mail with the record details you have looked at so you can print it off for your files and also if someone else has viewed the records you look at you receive an e-mail telling you so you can contact that person if you want too.
                    Daphne

Looking for Northey, Goodfellow, Jobes, Heal, Lilburn, Curry, Gay, Carpenter, Johns, Harris, Vigus from Cornwall, Somerset, Durham, Northumberland, Cumberland, USA, Australia.

Comment

Hello Peter,

if you click on this link, it will give you a basic idea of what things you are likely to encounter and where to look

Getting Started on your research
                      Last edited by Darksecretz; 18-12-10, 20:51.
                      Julie
                      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Hi to margaret, daphne,wendy and julie, thank you for your replys and your help, ive only just began using a computer so web sites are all new to me . Any way i think ive found my great grandfather also named william who was married to a margaret, they had two children my grand dad (i think) and a girl named mary. Ironically just like my mother margaret was widowed aged 31. I have come to a halt regards my dad because the census only goes to 1911 so ive only got four of my dads brothers and sisters margaret been the last born 1908. Margaretmarch has infomed me there is a ernest born 1911. Thanks again for your help. Regards peter.

Comment

It looks as if there was also a Jessie born 1914 and a Norman born 1917, both mother's maiden name Allard, you can check these for free on www.freebmd.org.uk.
                          :D Carolyn

Comment

Peter,
                            I believe you have the 1901 census which gives the first daughter Florence b1900. I can't see any other births to Wharton/Allard between 1911 and 1917 other than Ernest and your father Norman. I can see there are 7 children in total.
                            I'll send a chart of what we have found so far for you.

I think it was Richard who was married to Margaret Walker. Here's the reference 1874, Quarter Jun, District: Sunderland
                            County: Durham, Tyne and Wear Volume: 10a Page: 900 You need this if you want to order the marriage certifcate.

Margaret

Comment

HI CAROLYN,I CANT BELIEVE MY DAD WAS ONE OF EIGHT,THE ONLY MEMORY I HAVE OF ANY OF HIS FAMILEY IS WHEN HE DIED TWO MEN AND TWO WOMEN CAME IN A CAR AND SOMEONE SAYING THIS IS YOUR DADS FAMILEY. AFTER THE FUNERAL THEY LEFT AND I NEVER HEARD OR SEEN THEM AGAIN. I WAS SEVEN AT THE TME. THANK YOU FOR THE INFO. REGARDS PETER. P.S. DO YOU KNOW HOW I WOULD OUT WHEN WILLIAM AND JESSIE (my granparents) DIED, IVE TRIED THE DEATHS BUT KNOW LUCK.

Comment

If you look on the Free BMD site there is a Jessie H Wharton died Sept 1947 aged 67, looks like that could be your grandma. Can't see an an obvious entry for William.
                                :D Carolyn

Comment

Hi carolyn, i cant find any record of when he died i know it must be priar to 1942 cause on my parents marriage cert he was down as deceased thanks for the info on jessie. Peter.

Comment

Originally posted by Carolyn P View Post
                                    It looks as if there was also a Jessie born 1914 and a Norman born 1917, both mother's maiden name Allard, you can check these for free on www.freebmd.org.uk.
                                    Interestingly the birth for Jessie doesn't show on ancestry.co.uk !!
                                    Margaret

Comment

There's a tree on genesreunited with Jessie b1914 in it so I have made contact and will let you know the outsome.
                                      Margaret

Comment

Working...
                                      X