Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happy Homes and How to Make Them

... a new addition to Ancestry!

J. W. Kirton’s Happy Homes and How to Make Them is a guide published in the United Kingdom ca 1865 on courting, marriage, and the duties of husband and wife. Chapters cover subjects like advice on courting and the marriage proposal, getting a home, the duties of the husband and wife in marriage, and special counsel for the wife on combating the “public house.”

An interesting read.
    Elaine

Dinner on the table when he comes in and speak when you're spoken to! A dangerous book ;)

Comment

Sounds to me like it should be in the 'humour' section... especially as I would laugh at my husband if he expected me to bahave like that! :D

Comment

Whatever happened to the "wife as chattel" concept, as extolled by Andy Capp?
        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

He must have been a bundle of fun to have been married to .

Linda
          Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

... and I guess Mrs UJ promised to love, honour and obey... ;)

Comment

Funny how all the marriage advice is aimed at women and exhorting them to be glamorous, good-humoured, good cooks with domestic organisational abilities. But most divorces are instigated by women? No man would ever read a book called "Happy Homes and How to Make Them".
              ~ with love from Little Nell~
              Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Exactly, Nell...it's quite incredible, isn't it ?

I know this is on a completely different level, but a teacher I know here was reading a Pinter play with a group of sixth formers only this week (my mind's gone blank on the title but someone will help me out). It deals with the idea that men are offered to women "for sale". They were really shocked by this idea....not by the morality (or lack of it) of people being sold for sex, but by the idea that men would be for sale. The girls were the most shocked.....OK, men buying women..they could accept that....but it's absolutely ridiculous to think it might happen the other way round & it's tremendously shocking, whereas men paying for women isn't..

I think my friend's ex must have read the "Happy Homes" book. He tried to divorce her on the grounds of unreasonable behaviour...an example of which was that she didn't make him sandwiches to take to work (they were both working full time). The other grounds were about the same...she did eventually divorce him on the grounds of serial adultery...when she told him, he asked her not to cite his boss' daughter, as it would ruin his career..

Reader, she did

Comment

I know I shouldn't have laughed but I did........bumped into an acquaintance who was very anxious to tell me all about her son's divorce.

"She abused him terribly" she said.

"Ooooh" (says I, desperate for the salacious details) "What did she do to him?"

"She made him ride his pushbike to work because she wanted the car" (Three children under 6)

OC

Comment

Oh dear, Old Crone...(made me laugh, too)

A friend worked with someone who married a man who was very selfish in general & would have approved of the book, I'm sure. When they had a baby, people thought he'd be the type to be jealous of the attention it received & to leave her with all the work.

My friend bumped into her when the baby was about 2 months old. "Oh, he's ever so good about helping with the baby. He watches it while I do the washing up & shouts me if it needs anything"

Comment

Originally posted by Velma Dinkley View Post
                      ... and I guess Mrs UJ promised to love, honour and obey... ;)
                      She may well have done so but seems to suffer from a short memory.
                      Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
                      X