AVG update help please ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AVG update help please ?

I have the free AVG 8.5.449 . I keep getting something coming up on my Computer saying Update to AVG 2011 now you will not be protected after the 16th sohuld I update to this or leave it alone and stay as I am thank you for any help back later have to pop out for a bit thanks.

Granabella.

You need to download the AVG 2011 version. Version 8 is no longer supported.
    Download FREE AVG antivirus software. Get protection against viruses, malware and spyware. Easy-to-use virus scanner for PC, Mac & mobile. Download TODAY.

When you have downloaded and installed the program make sure you "check for updates" straight away.
    Elaine

Comment

Thank you Elaine I forgot to say I have Free AVG will the Address you sent me be for the Free one I always get a bit nervous when I read the acceptance list ( hope you understand what I mean )

Comment

when you click on that link Elaine gave you download the AVG on the left which is the free one

Comment

Elaine what is CNET should I have this? thanks

Comment

Thanks Val did that then came accross the CNET not sure what to do about that also came accross the accept thingy bit nervous about accepting in case I have to pay.

Comment

as you already have AVG click on the upgrade and yes that site is okay dont worry

Comment

Click on the link I gave you.
                On first page click on the DOWNLOAD NOW button on the left hand side of page, under NEW AVG ANTI VIRUS FREE EDITION 2011
                On next page scroll down to bottom of page and click on the green DOWNLOAD button at the bottom right. It has Download.com cnet underneath it.
                On next page click on DOWNLOAD NOW button
                A pop up box should then appear saying You have chosen to open avg_free_etc.etc - Would you like to save this file?
                Click on SAVE FILE
                The file will then save to your computer - on mine it usually saves to my Desktop but you may have your settings so that downloaded files save to your Download folder.
                Hopefully you can find it when it has downloaded - if not come back and we'll give some suggestions of where it might be!
                Find the file - click on it to install.
                One warning - part way through the installation it asks you if you want to install a toolbar (think it might be the Yahoo toolbar but not sure). Anyway, whichever one it is I would recommend you say no! If you don't see this option then don't worry too much.
                Once the AVG is installed then immediately check for updates.
                It might also suggest doing an initial scan of your computer - so just say yes and let it run. May take a while as I think the first scan is a fairly deep scan.

Any queries, come back and ask.
                Elaine

Comment

Hello Elaine thank you, ive got so far and have saved it and looked on my Desktop nothing gone onto my Docs I still have my old AVG on there and my new one when I click onto it a box comes up with Run do I click onto that thank you.

Granabella

Comment

Yes, you need to click on the new file that you have downloaded today and select Run.
                    Elaine

Comment

HELLO, eLAINE i HAVE DOWNLOADED avg AND WENT TO DO A FULL SCAN WENT AWAY CAME BACK TO FIND THE BAR ACCROS THE PAGE HAD STARTED TO SCAN THATS WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE BUT EVERY THING HAS FROZEN I HAVENT A CLUE WHAT TO DO NOW AFTER TRYING TO CLICK THINGS THEN TRYING TO CLOSE DOWN NOTHING GOOD JOB i HAVE ANOTHER CONPUTER TO SEND THIS MESSAGE THANK YOU FOR ANY HELP SORRY I HAVE DONE LARGE PRINT

GRANABELLA

Comment

If your computer has frozen then the best thing to do is to click on the CTRL key + ALT key + DEL key (hold all three down at the same time)
                        This should bring up the Task Manager. Click on the AVG program which is running, and select End task.

I've no idea why it would freeze mid way through a scan. Might be worth giving it another go to see what happens. You can always use the Ctrl/Alt/Del keys again if it freezes.
                        Let us know how it goes.
                        Elaine

Comment

Panic over took battery out then started again all was OK, thank goodness I have another Computer its a lifeline I had forgotten about the CNTR + ALT + DEL keys thank you for all your help I dont know why it would freeze ( mysteries ).

Granabella

Comment

You can generally turn a laptop off by holding down the ON button for about 10 seconds or so - it will then power down.
                            Not the best way to do it, far better to try the alt/ctrl/del method first.
                            Elaine

Comment

Ok thank you for info I always like tips thank you again.

Can I ask you I keep getting a baloon coming up saying there is a Java update do I need to update it?

Granabella

Comment

Originally posted by granabella View Post
                                ... there is a Java update do I need to update it?
                                I always do. Whether it's necessary or not, I'm not sure!
                                In fact, I have just done an update - and yet again there is the offer of adding the Yahoo toolbar - I always untick this.
                                Elaine

Comment

Ok i will do that thanks again.

Granabella

Comment

Elaine since I upgraded the AVG the Computer is very very slow when I press a key it take a good few seconds to do what you want do you know why this might be hope you dont think i'm a pain thanks

Granabella

Comment

Oh dear, I have no idea. I must say I haven't had a problem with AVG 2011 - unlike some previous versions which seemed to slow my computer down.
                                      Is it doing an automatic scan at the moment. If it is you should see the little AVG icon in the bottom task bar of the screen moving round slightly. This might have an effect depending on the general speed of your computer. I usually set the scan to a time when I'm not really using it, so it can chug away without interfering with what I am doing.
                                      What operating system are you using - with what sort of memory. Is it usually a fairly fast computer.
                                      Elaine

Comment

Would that be Internet 8? Yes it has done a scan but hasn't improved in speed it is reasonably quick not quite as quick as when new had it about 2 years did know about memory but have some how forgotten how to check what it is, I've just had a look on the control page for removing I have J2SE Runtime Enviroment 5.0 underneath is JAVA (TM) 6 update 23 should I have both of these thank you Elaine for your help.

Granabella

Comment

Working...
                                        X