Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canadian 1916 census - Leonard BENNETT (b 1887) ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian 1916 census - Leonard BENNETT (b 1887) ?

I gather that this is on Ancestry Worldwide? - or Ancestry.ca?

I guess it would have been taken ca 1 April 1916, in which case it should be about 1 month too early for a "hit" for me. However, it would be useful to get more support for the info I have, because the source (the emigré) is inclined to be a bit unreliable, if the facts don't suit the circumstances for him!

I know that not finding someone in a census isn't proof that they weren't there, but it's more evidence to add to the picture.

If he is there, I can go up to the Library and look up the record for myself - I don't want anyone breaching their T&C on my account - I just wanted to know if it's worth the trip!

Leonard BENNETT, b Birmingham (Handsworth), England, 6 March 1887... or 1893... or 1903... or (in the 1911 census) 1884! He was usually consistent about the day/month, but "flexible" about the year. When he got to the USA, he added "Keith" as a middle name; I don't think he added it earlier than that.

He settled in Toronto for some years, but I haven't managed to find his passage to Canada, even tho' he claimed to have come over on the Metagama in May 1916. I've searched both the passenger list and the crew lists, without success. If he's already in Canada by the 1916 census, that would give me a "latest" cut-off for searching.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

I can see a Leonard Bennett born 1889, says carpenter and went over 1910.
    Karen

Comment

He is recorded as Leonard Bennett, age 27, birthplace England. Marital status - single
      Under nationality, English was written, then crossed out and replaced by Canadian.
      He is living at 05, Last Mountain, Saskatchewan
      Year of immigration given as 1910.
      Elaine

Comment

Karen S: I can see a Leonard Bennett born 1889, says carpenter and went over 1910.
        Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
        He is recorded as Leonard Bennett, age 27, birthplace England. Marital status - single
        Under nationality, English was written, then crossed out and replaced by Canadian.
        He is living at 05, Last Mountain, Saskatchewan
        Year of immigration given as 1910.
        Thank you, Elaine and Karen. That's a bit disconcerting. I'll have to think about him. If it's the right man, then the immigration date can't be right, because mine was getting married in West Bromwich in November 1911. Not that that marriage (or two subsequent sons) figured later on in any of his American continent documentation! Similarly, a wrong immigration date wouldn't rule him out, either!

Carpenter makes him seem a less likely match. Mine was a tailor's assistant at one stage, and then moved over to being a tram driver (and later, a crane driver). The trouble is, mine is so elusive, and had such a fragile hold on the truth, that it makes him difficult to pin down.

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Not sure if you are aware. The 1916 census was only on the Prairies - Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba. So much immigration was happening "they" could not wait until 1921 to find out the population.
          Donelda

searching for the Berkshire Hobbises, Rowles, Staniford, Rogers, Parkers, Thackhams, Gouts, LeBouviers, Heaphys and Wilsons

Comment

Originally posted by Nelde View Post
            Not sure if you are aware. The 1916 census was only on the Prairies - Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba. So much immigration was happening "they" could not wait until 1921 to find out the population.
            Thank you. That could well mean that my Leonard wouldn't register with that census, anyway. I'm pretty sure he went to Toronto and stayed there until he emigrated to the USA.

Christine
            Last edited by Christine in Herts; 14-12-10, 19:06.

Comment

Working...
            X