Edward Coulston Wolstencroft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edward Coulston Wolstencroft

"Villagers have told how a postcard sent to a First World War soldier being treated in hospital nearly a century ago was found by workmen fixing a village hall floor.

They said the card had been hidden behind wooden wall panels at the 100-year-old hall, which was used as a military hospital during the Great War, in Shepreth, Cambridgeshire.

It appears to have been written by a woman named Nellie to "Drum. E C Wolstencroft" of the 3rd Royal Fusiliers at the "Auxiliary Hospital near Royston, Herts" and sent in April 1915.

Locals say searches of military records show that Private (Drummer) Edward Coulton Wolstencroft, of the Royal Fusiliers, came from Edmonton, Middlesex, and died on July 7, 1916 - probably during the Battle of the Somme - when he was in his mid 20s.

Records show that he is remembered on the war memorial dedicated to missing First World War soldiers at Thiepval in the Picardie region of France. The name "Drummer Wolstencroft" can also be found on a village list of soldiers treated at the hospital in Shepreth, which is near Royston.
    Villagers have left "virtual flowers" for Private Wolstencroft on a Thiepval Memorial website and they hope to trace relatives of the soldier and are urging anyone with information about him or "Nellie" to get in touch.
    Commonwealth War Graves Commission records show that Private Wolstencroft - Service Number L/13456 - was 26 and serving with the 9th Battalion of the Royal Fusiliers when he died a week after British troops launched their ill-fated Somme attack against German lines.
    Census records show that Private Wolstencroft was the second of 12 children. Records also show that he was the son of Edward Coulton Wolstencroft and Annie Wolstencroft, of 40 Gordon Road, Lower Edmonton, Middlesex.
    Mr Wolstencroft was a seaman born in Hulme, Manchester, in 1868, who married Annie Copper, born in Hoxton, Middlesex, in 1872, at Bethnal Green, east London, in 1888.
    The postcard, which is marked "printed in Germany", shows a picture of a man, who appears to be a sailor, flanked by two women. Nellie writes: "Dear Teddy, Don't think I have forgotten you letter following hopeing you are quite alright love from Nellie."

I have copied and pasted details from AOL website to here just in case anybody knows of this person or knows someone else who might be interested. It would be nice if someone on here could claim him! Nothing to do with me I am sorry to say!:(

Janet

Nothing to do with me, either, Janet, but a lovely idea to post this & I hope someone claims him

Comment

There are 3 trees on ancestry with Edward in them so I have sent messages to all with a link to this thread. Fingers crossed someone will have a look and reply.
      Margaret

Comment

I've had this reply on behalf of 2 of the trees
        Hi Margaret You also (and I think Janet) sent me a link to Mike Pendleton and I have subsequently integrated my tree with research one of my wife's cousins is completing on Ancestry so rather than reply elsewhere this is the reply for the note that you sent to Mike Pendleton

Yes I can claim Edward Coulton Wolstencroft who is my 3rd cousin twice removed - so a distant relative and I hadn't researched any of his line. I can't unfortunetly pinpoint who Nellie would have been other than a girlfriend in all probability

Edward was in the Royal Fusiliers - and here are the details of his Thiepval memorial record
        Surname Rank Service Number Date Of Death Age Regiment/Service Nationality Grave/Memorial Ref. Cemetery/Memorial Name
        WOLSTENCROFT , EDWARD COULTON Private L/13456 07/07/1916 26 Royal Fusiliers United Kingdom Pier and Face 8 C 9 A and 16 A. THIEPVAL MEMORIAL
        Page 1

He was awarded the Victory and Star medals by January 1915 so must have been wounded early in the war recuperated and was then sent out again to the Somme for his death in 1916

His parents must have been devestated by his death as they named their son born in March quarter 1917 Edward Coulston Wolstencroft. Edward married a Doris Drew in Edmonton in 1939

The information you have provided is very interesting and thank you very much for taking the trouble to track me down and alert me to the find Its very much appreciated

Best Regards Mike

Comment

Margaret

Thank you very much for posting a message on Ancestry Trees and getting such a quick response. That is so wonderful that someone can claim him for their tree so quickly! What more can I say except that I am pleased Mike has now got some extra information.

Janet

Comment

Private Edward Wolstencroft - Royal Fusiliers

Noted story last night in Independent on-line. Fascinating. Have been researching another family in this group of villages in South Cambs just to the north of Royston.

Found Keith Wolstencroft on GR who is great nephew of Edward. Sent message last night to Keith via Genes Reunited. Think he is in the Northamptonshire area.

1911 census shows Edward serving with Royal Fusiliers in Mauritius. His father, also Edward Caulton" signs his second name spelt "Caulton"

Spoke today with journalist who wrote article for the Press Association as he lives in Shepreth. Will meet with him Tuesday to look at village hall as I pass by Shepreth.

Have put together a GEDCOM on family if anyone is interested. Am planning to visit Thiepval next month. Will take photo of Edward's name on memorial.

Comment

Working...
            X