Brewery Accident? Help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brewery Accident? Help needed

Hi I had previously been told from my father that he had heard his grandfather had died in a Vat of Beer and up until now had been searching for my paternal great great grandfather Solomon Smith and to date had found no evidence of this.

However today I had the most fantastic potential breakthrough when I received a report from the Childrens Sociery about my great grandmother Isabel (Isabella) Ward. I knew from the 1911 census that she was in a home for waifs and strays and received a comprehensive report from them.

This is when is became exciting for me as it said in the letter that Isabel was sent to a home when her father died and her mother could not support all her children. The report said "The father Charles Ward died in May 1905 when he was 37. He had been a workman (foreman) in the employment of Watney Combe Reid and Co Brewers, Pimlico (the Stag Brewery) for 13 years with a excellent character".

Can anyone help who has access to local papers to see if anything is listed and can anyone help me with locating her death certificate. I know his birth was 25th July 1868 in West Ham (I have this certificate) and his wife was Clara Pettitt.

Also I know from tracing my Scottish Ancestors that when some of my ancestors died in a Pit accident it went to the Procurator Fiscal and a full investigation was carried out. Would this happen in England? And is there anything you could suggest to try to confirm if he did die in a Vat of Beer and any more information.

I also feel quite sorry for Charles Ward as I had heard that Isabel, his daughter, had ran away from home but I now think she ran away from the childrens home and I may have had the wrong opinion of Charles.

I do think something bad must have happened at the Brewery as a Mr C H Babbington tried to get Isabel and her children Elizabeth in homes and also tried to get funds from the Stag Brewery to help. It also says in the report that in November 1908 "compensation moneys paid by the brewery into Court under the Workmens Compensation Act".

I have Isabel (Isabella) in St Judes Home for Waifs and Strays in 1911 but cannot find her sister Elizabeth Ward who I know from the report in went back her mother Clara on 17th December 1910 then I think she went into service as a maid. I cannot find Elizabeth her mother Clara and her siblings Mabel Ward, Charles (aka Charley), Rose Mary Ward, Grace Mary Ward, Hilda Marjory Ward.

Sorry to add so much but would be delighted as always if anyone can help

Steven

Charles Ward's death certificate will tell you what he died of - if it was an accident in the Brewery there will have been an inquest.

The death cert will give an actual date of death and date of inquest, which will then enable you to search local newspapers for a report - there would almost certainly have been one.

As for the missing family, did they possibly emigrate?

OC

Comment

Thanks OC will try to see if I can find his death on Ancestry. Re Clara I do know from the record I received that Clara had a brother who they think emmigrated to Canada - Peter Pettitt but no dates etc given - will have a look.

The information from the Childrens Society was fantastic so hoping it will lead to information on the Brewery Accident - the letter did say he died from burns

Steven

Comment

there is a death listed for a Charles William Ward age 38 in Jun 1905 St Geo.H.Sq 1A 300 could be him ?

Comment

Hi Val that just a couple of minutes ago - surely must be him so I have gone ahead and ordered. Would love to find something in newspapers

Your help is appreciated as always Val - I was barking up wrong tree by assuming the ancestor who may have died in a vat of beer was my great grandfather on my paternal side - Solomon Smith instead of of the maternal side ie Charles Ward

Steven

Comment

I am not too good on areas so wasnt sure if thats right but as you've ordered it now do hope it is ??

Comment

Can't spot anything likely in the newspapers, sorry.

For anyone doing a census hunt:
              Clara ~ b 1869-70 Bow, London
              Elizabeth ~ b 1893-4 West Ham
              Isabella ~ b 1894-5 West Ham (1911: RG14/3339 RG78/126 RD39 SD3 ED17 SN283)
              Charley ~ b 1895-6 West Ham
              Rose ~ b 1896-7 West Ham

Christine
              Last edited by Christine in Herts; 13-12-10, 14:30.
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

There's a Rose WARD here: RG14/9789 RG78/516 RD189 SD2 ED9 SN56
                but she seems to have been born in the wrong place, and have some older siblings that don't fit.

I mention it, because there just might be some other info there which matches and which means that it's OK, from your perspective.

Christine
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

There's this Charlie WARD in Wales:
                  a servant, single, 17 (1893-4) general works on farm ~ b London
                  RG14/33002 RG78/1892 RD599 SD1 ED9 SN20

Christine

Comment

Thanks Christine I will look up those on Ancestry - do I just use the references you gave to help search?

Steven

Comment

anything here?

The official archive of the UK government. Our vision is to lead and transform information management, guarantee the survival of today's information for tomorrow and bring history to life for everyone.
                      Jess

Comment

Originally posted by stevie2006 View Post
                        Thanks Christine I will look up those on Ancestry - do I just use the references you gave to help search?

Steven
                        I think that those refs should include all the search material you need. If they don't, come back to me, and I'll see if there's anything else I can offer.

Christine

Comment

Thanks Jess looks like some information is there but I take it I would need to visit the National Archives?

Christine sorry to be really thick but how do I use those references to look up a census on Ancestry?

Spent whole afternoon calling libraries to see if they held any local papers but no luck - accident seems to have taken place at Pimlico which I found out is in Westminster - they have access to the Times newspaper but unfortunately couldn't join online (I live in Scotland).

Will keep looking

Steven

Comment

You might find something here: http://infotrac.galegroup.com/itweb/...btr?id=british the password is test

scuda

NO, I don't think this will help, it seems the Times is not on there after all. Sorry!
                            Last edited by scuda; 13-12-10, 18:47.
                            Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

Comment

Christine sorry to be really thick but how do I use those references to look up a census on Ancestry?
                              I don't have a current sub, so, to be honest, I'm not certain! I think - having had a quick look on the site, that you use the piece number that goes with the "RG14" part, because you're searching the summaries. But you'll need to put in the name, too.

Christine

Comment

Thanks Christine

Steven

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
                                  I don't have a current sub, so, to be honest, I'm not certain! I think - having had a quick look on the site, that you use the piece number that goes with the "RG14" part, because you're searching the summaries. But you'll need to put in the name, too.

Christine
                                  I don't think you can search using the reference there is no box for it like there is for earlier census.
                                  Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
                                    I don't think you can search using the reference there is no box for it like there is for earlier census.
                                    Margaret
                                    When I had a look, yesterday, there seemed to be a single box which would allow just the piece number.

Christine

Comment

Yes, that's what I saw but I tried to search on that and nothing would come up.
                                      Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
                                        Yes, that's what I saw but I tried to search on that and nothing would come up.
                                        Margaret
                                        I see what you mean.

try this for sub-district: Llangendeirne
                                        and use only the surname. - use surname REES (the Head's surname).

I can't tell if that comes up with the right info.

Christine

Comment

Working...
                                        X