Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about middle names

Hi all,

I have been searching for information on a Susannah Barrett (b.abt 1776) as far as I am aware she gave two of her sons William & George (born two years apart) the same middle name of Charity…I have two questions:

1) How likely is it that this would have been done?

2) How likely would it have been that Charity was Susannah’s maiden name?

Many thanks
    Ness

Have you found a Susannah Charity????

I've got some really odd middle names in my tree and some of them were from the local business people in town...lol

Where were they??? Sounds a bit non-con Quakerish, but coule be anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Harrys mum View Post
      Have you found a Susannah Charity????

I've got some really odd middle names in my tree and some of them were from the local business people in town...lol

Where were they??? Sounds a bit non-con Quakerish, but coule be anything.
      Hi Harry's mum,

I have just found a lot of people with the surname Charity in Rutland England where my family originate from & it got me thinking....In the 'Charity' families I have found they have some Susannah's but the ones i've found so far are about 30 years too early. But the other reason I wondered if they were somehow connected is a lot of the names do seem to follow in my family history & some of them are fairly unusual e.g. Josiah & others quite common like George & William. I've been struggling to find any information on Susannah except she is named as the mother of William & George Charity Barrett on the Exton Rutland parish records....I've just ordered a couple of CD's of Rutland parish records so they may help. I'm trying not to be impatient & wait until the CD's arrive but it's soooo hard ;D
      Last edited by jadzia; 10-12-10, 09:12.
      Ness

Comment

In some families I have, everyone got the same middle name - and yes, it was Mum or grandma's maiden name. In particular I can think of the Parsons family of Shepton Mallet (all six with the middle name IZANT), the middle name INGLIS in the WHYTE family of Ayr, Scotland, and the FEATHERSTONE children several (4 of 11) with the middle name OLLERENSHAW. We also have LANGLEY used as a middle name in various famlies with Langley in Wokingham (Berks) roots.
        Diane
        Sydney Australia
        Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Jadzi, as you can see I live in Rutland so if you need anything checking on the ground let me know - I'm not there at the moment and won't be back until late March 2011.
          I also belong to the Leicester and Rutland Family History Society who have a load of local records.
          Margaret

Comment

Jadzi, as you can see I live in Rutland so if you need anything checking on the ground let me know - I'm not there at the moment and won't be back until late March 2011.
            I also belong to the Leicester and Rutland Family History Society who have a load of local records.
            Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by dicole View Post
              In some families I have, everyone got the same middle name - and yes, it was Mum or grandma's maiden name. In particular I can think of the Parsons family of Shepton Mallet (all six with the middle name IZANT), the middle name INGLIS in the WHYTE family of Ayr, Scotland, and the FEATHERSTONE children several (4 of 11) with the middle name OLLERENSHAW. We also have LANGLEY used as a middle name in various famlies with Langley in Wokingham (Berks) roots.
              Ahhh so I may be on to something with the name thing.....I can hardly wait for my parish record CD's to arrive so I can check it all out. Thanks Diane

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
              Margaret
              Thank you Margaret for your very kind offer I really appreciate it. I think the online place I ordered the Parish CD's was the Leicester and Rutland Family History Society....I wonder how long delivery will take especially with the christmas holidays?

Thank you all for your help
              Ness

Comment

I was googling around the other day...looking at a family tree I thought might be connected with mine (it wasn't), but there was a branch of that where they passed on the mother's maiden name as the middle name for all the children.

Comment

there is a submitted family tree on familysearch for william charity barrett

dont know if its the one you are after but they seem to have got stuck on susannah as the mother too.
                  Angelina

Comment

Thanks greyingrey....it does seem like using the mothers maiden name as a middle name was done quite a lot

Originally posted by angelina View Post
                    there is a submitted family tree on familysearch for william charity barrett

dont know if its the one you are after but they seem to have got stuck on susannah as the mother too.
                    Thanks Angelina, Yes that's them....their father Thomas Abel Barrett is giving me trouble aswell but hopefully it will all be clearer when I get the Rutland parish records that i've ordered
                    Ness

Comment

There is also the use of the (real) father's surname as a middle name- nothing to do with the families but a sign that mum has strayed !

Comment

Originally posted by BC View Post
                        There is also the use of the (real) father's surname as a middle name- nothing to do with the families but a sign that mum has strayed !
                        I hadn't thought of that ;D
                        Ness

Comment

One of my favourite rellies is CHRISTIAN CHARITY MARSHALL, who was born illlegitimately - I think her mother was trying to send a message to someone. But Charity was not a family name.

DI
                          Diane
                          Sydney Australia
                          Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Just a thought Vanessa,

This is another example of perhaps why a middle name may be given:

I have a 3 x gt grandfather Charles who was born illegitimate and when he married and had children he gave them both a middle name of Cubitt. A few years later they all changed their surname to Cubitt - parents and the children. . . . . . .There was a fairly rich squire in the village named Cubitt and I do suspect that he may have been Charles's father and Charles changed his and his children's surnames to let the world know that he knew that (said with tongue in cheek) ;)
                            Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post
                              Just a thought Vanessa,

This is another example of perhaps why a middle name may be given:

I have a 3 x gt grandfather Charles who was born illegitimate and when he married and had children he gave them both a middle name of Cubitt. A few years later they all changed their surname to Cubitt - parents and the children. . . . . . .There was a fairly rich squire in the village named Cubitt and I do suspect that he may have been Charles's father and Charles changed his and his children's surnames to let the world know that he knew that (said with tongue in cheek) ;)
                              Ahhh thank you Katarzyna another reason I hadn't thought of
                              Ness

Comment

Working...
                              X