Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stoke Damerel Register Office (Devonport)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stoke Damerel Register Office (Devonport)

Hello, Several of my ancestors were married in the Stoke Damerel Register Office. However, I have been unable to even locate where this building was situated. I had really hoped to, at least, discover a photograph of it.
    Can anyone help?
    Thanks!

I wonder if there are any links on this page that could help you?

Or here -

Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

This book is about Devonport: http://www.chrisrobinson.co.uk/pages/devonport.shtml
      but the site has local history info, so you may be able to find something useful there without having to shell out for the book (which may not have what you want, anyway). Having said that, I'd guess the book is likely to be good, based on other things that I've seen of Chris Robinson's work. He's an old boy of the same school as my OH, so I encounter him from time to time, though I don't know him well.

It might be worth emailing him to ask if he has anything relevant - but you might have to pay for it, since that is is bread-winning business.

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Hello and my thanks to you both for your suggestions. Christine I do have the book you mentioned, but a very good suggestion. I will look into the sites you mentioned Chrissie. Again, my thanks.
        PS I thought I had sent this reply yesterday but, for some reason, it didn't "go"!

Comment

The following website may be of some interest as there is some history though photograph may be difficult to find:

http://www.plymouthdata.info/Register%20Offices.htm

The article states that:

The Stoke Damerel Registry Office was at 20 Fore Street, Devonport, and the Plymouth one was at 7 Norley Street. In later years the Stoke Damerel RO transferred to Mr Albert Gard's office in St Aubyn Street, Devonport.

The first marriages took place at Stoke Damerel Register Office, 20 Fore Street, Devonport, on Thursday August 31st 1837, Mr John Abrams to Mrs Hannah Totton, both of Devonport.

There is an old map on the web site showing you where the Registry Office was. Maybe further googling might find a picture for you.

Janet
          Last edited by Janet; 08-12-10, 10:42.

Comment

Janet,
            Thank you very much, it looks as though that is just what I want. I'm delighted.
            Wee Scottie

Comment

Working...
            X