Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multiple Christenings & Travelling Ancestors

Hi all,

I have been looking into my Florence ancestor's, and it seems that there is a George & Lucy Florence who seem to christening his children multiple times. For example;

Christenings of Henrietta Florence
    07 FEB 1839 - Baschurch, Shropshire
    22 MAR 1839 - Whitchurch, Shropshire
    26 MAR 1839 - Ellesmere, Shropshire
    28 MAR 1839 - Ruyton of the 11 Towns, Shropshire
    29 MAR 1839 - Knockin, Shropshire
    04 APR 1839 - Fitz, Shropshire
    05 APR 1839 - Wroxeter, Shropshire
    23 APR 1839 - Tattenhall, Cheshire
    03 MAY 1839 - Llansaintffraid Yn Mechan, Montgomeryshire
    12 MAY 1839 - Shawbury, Shropshire
    16 MAY 1839 - Moreton Say, Shropshire
    27 MAY 1839 - Sudbury, Derbyshire

There is also 11 christenings for a Munro Florence (1841) and 10 christenings for Delia/Delilah Florence (1843). Does anybody know why they would christen their children so many times? Was there some incentive to christen your children?

The wide range in parish's also seems to suggest to me that George was a traveller, which matches with my ancestor William Florence (Spectacle Maker/Peddler) and George Florence Snr (Tinker). Does anybody have any suggestions as to the best way to attempt to trace travelling ancestors? I cannot find William on the 1841/51 census, as he probably was travelling!

Thanks,
    Tippin
    Families Intrested in
    Archer (DBY), Bannister (SFK/STS), Br(o/a)mley (DBY), Darrall (SAL/WAR), Florence (STS), Freeman (WAR), Grimsdell (BKM/STS), Knight (WAR), Sheldrake (SKF), Simpson (LND/STS), Smith (SFK/WAR/WOR), Tatham (LND), Tippin(s) (HEF/WAR), Wagstaff (DBY/NTT), Whitefoot (SAL/WAR)

A baptism/christening gave you the right of settlement in a parish which included various poor law benefits.

One or two of my ancestors got baptised more than once, in several parishes but I have never seen anything like yours! What dedication they show, hahaha!

OC

Comment

No advice to give I'm afraid, but if you arm yourself with a camper van that's next years holidays solved as you retrace their steps

Comment

Thanks for the information OC. So christening their child at the parish would give them settlement rights, but would this have continued after they had left the parish, or would it have been for life?

I have been looking into George & Lucy for the past couple of hours, but I cannot find them on any census! I have found a possible death for George in 1870, which gives his date of birth as about 1805, which fits with a christening I already have, so it does look promising. If only I could find him on the 51/61 census it would tell me where he came from, and then I could prove he was my William's younger brother! But at least it has given me an insight into William's & his father George travelling lives.

Jill, I think I will definitely have to visit some of the places, as long as I can prove George is a relative. It's just a shame my William didn't christen his children 9/10 times so I could see where he travelled!

Tippin
        Families Intrested in
        Archer (DBY), Bannister (SFK/STS), Br(o/a)mley (DBY), Darrall (SAL/WAR), Florence (STS), Freeman (WAR), Grimsdell (BKM/STS), Knight (WAR), Sheldrake (SKF), Simpson (LND/STS), Smith (SFK/WAR/WOR), Tatham (LND), Tippin(s) (HEF/WAR), Wagstaff (DBY/NTT), Whitefoot (SAL/WAR)

Comment

Yes, settlement rights for life, so he was giving his children a good choice!

OC

Comment

Working...
          X