Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GRO 1838 q1 index - typos R for P - missing a P????? name?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GRO 1838 q1 index - typos R for P - missing a P????? name?

Hello

I was trying to work out where some missing PAFFORDs were (a variable name) in early Cornish birth registrations, when I found that Eliza PAFFORD had been indexed - in the PAC-PAG page - as RAFFORD.
    Births from period Jan-Feb-Mar1838
    PACE, Christian - PAGE, Hannah Ann
    I suspect that FreeBMD may not accept my correction, even though the page is clearly PAC-PAG, so you may need to know that there are some typos on that page:
    • PADMAN, Westley Cawston, Selby ~ "RADMAN"
    • PADMORE, Alfred, St Pancras ~ "RADMORE"
    • PADMORE, Caroline, Brixworth ~ "RADMORE"
    • PADMORE, George Charles, Birmingham ~ "RADMORE"
    • PAFFORD, Eliza, St Columb Major ~ "RAFFORD"

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

1991 index has my sister-in-law's maiden name Pearce indexed as Searce!
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

The oddity in this case is that the page is clearly not an R page, but a P page.

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
        I suspect that FreeBMD may not accept my correction, even though the page is clearly PAC-PAG, so you may need to know that there are some typos on that page:
        You are correct in your assumption! FreeBMD won't accept any changes to what actually appears in the GRO index, even if it's wrong. The best you can do is add a Postem.
        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle John View Post
          You are correct in your assumption! FreeBMD won't accept any changes to what actually appears in the GRO index, even if it's wrong. The best you can do is add a Postem.
          I've put a postem there, for that reason.

I had just thought that there might be a distinction between [a] a name which is rendered incorrectly, but appears in it's correct alpha-order for how it's been rendered and [b] a name which is rendered incorrectly, but, corrected, would be in correct alpha-order for the place in which it appears, being out of order as currently displayed.

Christine

Comment

Your membership application for the Society of Pedants and Barrack Room Lawyers is under consideration!
            Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle John View Post
              Your membership application for the Society of Pedants and Barrack Room Lawyers is under consideration!
              Thank you - but I thought I'd been a paid-up member for some time, now!

Incidentally - I did get a helpful(ish) reply from FMP:
              We believe the problem you have encountered is a typing error made by the General Register Office. However we do have to remain true to the original therefore we cannot change these details on the site I'm afraid.

If you do wish to have any typing errors that you have discovered changed, then you should contact the GRO directly, so they may change the originals. We have enclosed their contact details below: {GRO contact info supplied}
              Unfortunately, the e-address was out-of-date, so I'm still trying to get my message through to GRO!

Christine

Comment

Working...
              X