Australia /Look ups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Record Office: Australia /Look ups

Can help with various bdm lookups on "Index" for...

States:
    Victoria Births: 1840-1920 Deaths 1849-1985 Marriages 1849-1942
    New South Wales Births 1800-1909 Deaths 1800-1979 Marriages 1800-1956
    South Australia: Births 1842-1928 Deaths 1842-1915 Marriages 1842-1936
    Western Australia: Births1841-1932 Deaths 1841-1965 Marriages 1841-1936
    Queensland: Births 1829-1914 Deaths 1829-1964 Marriages 1829-1934
    Tasmania bdm: 1803-1900

New South Wales Census 1828 ( Mainly Convicts and some free settlers ) Sydney -Parramatta

Can also do lookups for Convicts sent to Australia from the U.K ( leave as much detail as you can )

PLEASE NOTE:
    The last convict ship to Australia was to Western Australia, the "Hougoumont", left Britain in 1867 and arrived in Western Australia on 10 January 1868. Australia received no more transportees from the U.K after this time.

Please allow for 10 hr time difference between Australia and the U.K

Cheers. Tony ( Australia )
    Do not go where the path may lead,go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Love your avatar Tony. Is that Skip with a VB :-)

Comment

Thanks for your offer. Can you help with the following at all?

Walter William KING (age 40) and family entered Queensland on the Almora 04 Dec 1883 (source: Index to Registers of Immigrants Ships' Arrivals 1848-1912. Location: IMM/118 Page 502 M/film: Z1961 or M1699) [other family members are Rhoda, transcribed as Rhode (age 32), Evelyn Ethel, transcribed as Kirlyn (age 4), Anne (age 3) also in board]

Death record for Walter: 1919/C3398 Walter William King; father's name, John Spilt King; mother's name, Harriette Fay (died Bundaberg, Qld)

Death record for wife Rhoda: died 01 Sep 1932, Qld

Dau. Evelyn Ethel KING married 04 Dec 1913, Qld: who did she marry? Died 06 Aug 1947, Qld. Any family?

Dau. Annie Eustace KING married date unknown Qld: who did she marry? Died 27 Oct 1954 Mackay, Qld. Any family?

Dau. Caroline Gertrude KING married 01 Sep 1923, Qld: who did she marry? Died 22 Mar 1960, Qld. Any family?

If you can help with these directly or point me in the right direction I would be very pleased

Comment

Hi there, what a great offer! Could you help with this one. Sorry I don't have much detail that I myself have verified.

Convict's name William EDWARDS most likely from Cheshire, England and born c. 1801 (see below)

According to another researcher my 4XGGF Thomas MURRAY lived with a woman for many years after (and likely for some before) the death of his wife. The woman is said to have borne him children, a boy (Frederick) and possibly a girl (Mary).

The baptism record of the boy named Frederick EDWARDS shows his father's name and says he was a "transported convict with no trade or profession". Frederick c.1845 and his sister Mary c.1836 appear in later censuses as MURRAY or a variant of that name. Their mother Elizabeth also appears variously with both surnames. As Thomas MURRAY's wife Ellen didn't actually die till 1836, then a bit of adultery may have been going for a while!

To pass Frederick off to the vicar for baptism as EDWARDS, then his father William must have been transported c.1845 though Thomas and Elizabeth were together at least as early as 1841.

Elizabeth and Mary are MORREY in 1841 and living in Wybunbury Township. Elizabeth's estimated dob is 1801 although that could be out by 5 years or so. Thomas is given as the same age as her but I've found dates for him anywhere from 1795 to 1801.
        Elizabeth, Mary and Thomas are EDWARDS in 1851 and living in Shavington cum Gresty. Frederick's dob is c.1845.

Places that crop up as birthplaces and parishes in the MURRAY family are Nantwich, Acton, Wybunbury and Coppenhall. 1851 census gives Elizabeth EDWARDS as coming from Coppenhall, Mary from Nantwich and Frederick from Wybunbury. Perhaps William EDWARDS came from around there too.

Sorry it's not a lot to go on!
        Last edited by GallowayLass; 14-01-11, 17:05. Reason: missed a bit

Comment

Originally posted by Bertie View Post
          Thanks for your offer. Can you help with the following at all?

Walter William KING (age 40) and family entered Queensland on the Almora 04 Dec 1883 (source: Index to Registers of Immigrants Ships' Arrivals 1848-1912. Location: IMM/118 Page 502 M/film: Z1961 or M1699) [other family members are Rhoda, transcribed as Rhode (age 32), Evelyn Ethel, transcribed as Kirlyn (age 4), Anne (age 3) also in board]

Death record for Walter: 1919/C3398 Walter William King; father's name, John Spilt King; mother's name, Harriette Fay (died Bundaberg, Qld)

Death record for wife Rhoda: died 01 Sep 1932, Qld

Dau. Evelyn Ethel KING married 04 Dec 1913, Qld: who did she marry? Died 06 Aug 1947, Qld. Any family?

Dau. Annie Eustace KING married date unknown Qld: who did she marry? Died 27 Oct 1954 Mackay, Qld. Any family?

Dau. Caroline Gertrude KING married 01 Sep 1923, Qld: who did she marry? Died 22 Mar 1960, Qld. Any family?

If you can help with these directly or point me in the right direction I would be very pleased

Hi Bertie.

Queensland bdm's are searchable on-line, but only up to certain years, as stated in my heading post.

Births up to 1914
          Marriages up to 1934
          Deaths up to 1964

Restricted Records:
          After these years ( above ) Australian bdm's are "restricted" from access ( Australian Privacy Act )unless you are direct next of kin with proven documentation.

Unrestricted records:
          Unrestricted or historical records are available to anyone. These are records of:

•births more than 100 years ago
          •marriages more than 75 years ago
          •deaths more than 30 years ago.
          Anyone can receive a certificate of a historical record.

Reg:1919/C3398 Walter William King... Fath:John Spilt King.... Moth:Harriette Fay

Reg:1932/C2353 Rhoda King... Fath:Eustace... Moth: Dinah
          Notes: Born Buckinghamshire, England aged 81 years

Evelyn Ethel King married Arthur James Charteris 1913...Reg:1913/C262

Annie Eustace King married William Alexander Cathcart 1912....Reg: 1912/C202
          Child: Roy William Cathcart b.1913....Reg:1913/C1078

Caroline Gertrude King married Percy William Isambert 1923....Reg:1923/1981
          Do not go where the path may lead,go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Comment

Thanks Tony - much appreciated

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
              Hi there, what a great offer! Could you help with this one. Sorry I don't have much detail that I myself have verified.

Convict's name William EDWARDS most likely from Cheshire, England and born c. 1801 (see below)

According to another researcher my 4XGGF Thomas MURRAY lived with a woman for many years after (and likely for some before) the death of his wife. The woman is said to have borne him children, a boy (Frederick) and possibly a girl (Mary).

The baptism record of the boy named Frederick EDWARDS shows his father's name and says he was a "transported convict with no trade or profession". Frederick c.1845 and his sister Mary c.1836 appear in later censuses as MURRAY or a variant of that name. Their mother Elizabeth also appears variously with both surnames. As Thomas MURRAY's wife Ellen didn't actually die till 1836, then a bit of adultery may have been going for a while!

To pass Frederick off to the vicar for baptism as EDWARDS, then his father William must have been transported c.1845 though Thomas and Elizabeth were together at least as early as 1841.

Elizabeth and Mary are MORREY in 1841 and living in Wybunbury Township. Elizabeth's estimated dob is 1801 although that could be out by 5 years or so. Thomas is given as the same age as her but I've found dates for him anywhere from 1795 to 1801.
              Elizabeth, Mary and Thomas are EDWARDS in 1851 and living in Shavington cum Gresty. Frederick's dob is c.1845.

Places that crop up as birthplaces and parishes in the MURRAY family are Nantwich, Acton, Wybunbury and Coppenhall. 1851 census gives Elizabeth EDWARDS as coming from Coppenhall, Mary from Nantwich and Frederick from Wybunbury. Perhaps William EDWARDS came from around there too.

Sorry it's not a lot to go on!
              Hi GalowayLass.

Unfortunately, i would need more confirmed information regarding your WILLIAM EDWARDS.

EG: Year of Sentence.....Term of Sentence.....Place of conviction, and Crime committed.

There were 57 WILLIAM EDWARDS transported to Australia from the U.K
              14 of these 57 were transported between 1840 and 1853

All these WILLIAM EDWARDS will have individual Transportation records here in Australia ( if they survived the journey )and to which part of the Colony they were sent to.
              Sydney, Tasmania, Western Australia all took Convicts around this era.
              They will also have a Convict indent and on board surgeon report, plus conviction number on each person.

To find which one is yours, i would need confirmation of his transport details, to allow me to follow up on what became of him though his convict records after he arrived here in Australia.
              Records here do not necessarily show whether a convict was married, or had children, nor do many show parentage or birth place.
              So as you can see......i would need to know which of these WILLIAM EDWARDS is yours
              Last edited by Tony Oz; 01-02-11, 11:40.

Comment

Hi Tony, at the minute that's all I've got unfortunately. I'll have to see if the person who posted the info on his website knows any more about Mr Edwards. If I ever find out some more, I'll get back to you. Many thanks for letting me know.

Comment

Death Cert help

Hi Tony
                  I must firstly say i love your Skippy.....
                  I do have a vast amount of info,but i'm stuck with a couple of the family members & can't move as it's a huge wall!
                  1) Rupert Hiller Lalor born 1/9/1897 at,Cardiff Wales who went with his parents William Hiller Lalor & Sarah nee Gardner,they were the first £5 pommies in 1910 & lived at 84 Riding Road,Hawthorne Queensland,Australia

Rupert died onboard HMAS Albertross in Adelaide South Australia on 31/10/1931. I have his service records but i am trying to get his death cert & this will give his chidlrens's names & i have been informed as it's historic it is easy to obtain,but how do i do this & can i pay by Card?

Also his brother Stanley Rowland Lalor was born at Blomfontein,South Africa in 1907.
                  He was an Anzac & died 16/5/1986 i have his service records,i know he married Edith Holloway in 1935, their children are unknown,but i know he had chidlren.I have tired so many times to find them & have failed........
                  Thanks,
                  Kaz.
                  "Genealogy -disturbing the dead,and irritating the living"

Comment

Originally posted by kazig View Post
                    Hi Tony

Rupert died onboard HMAS Albertross in Adelaide South Australia on 31/10/1931. I have his service records but i am trying to get his death cert & this will give his chidlrens's names & i have been informed as it's historic it is easy to obtain,but how do i do this & can i pay by Card?

Also his brother Stanley Rowland Lalor was born at Blomfontein,South Africa in 1907.
                    He was an Anzac & died 16/5/1986 i have his service records,i know he married Edith Holloway in 1935, their children are unknown,but i know he had chidlren.I have tired so many times to find them & have failed........
                    Thanks,
                    Kaz.
                    Hi Kaz.

For ordering bdm's from South Australia state archives.

Regarding "Stanley Rowland Lalor"

Unfortunatley, any births of children in South Australia ( after 1928 ) are not accessible for search by the general public under the Australian Privacy Act laws.
                    The only way again ( same as Rupert Jillier ) to find what children he and his spouse may have had, would be to purchase either his death cert, or his spouses.
                    Australian death certs list childrens names and ages ( living and deceased if known ) at the time of a parents death.

Tony ( Victoria )

Comment

Hi Tony,
                      Thanks very much for the info on Rupert,i have ordered his death cert 10 mins ago,now i wait like a kid at Christmas.......
                      Kaz......

Comment

Tony,
                        Hoping you may be able to help with the following or advise what direction to head in.

We are looking for details on a William Robert Lawson Born c 1857 in New Orleans U.S.A, He married my Great grandmother Emily Cameron on 10/12/1887, [emily lived in Kyneton,Victoria] they were married at St Arnaud in Victoria.
                        They went on to have 6 children between 1888 & 1900 in various places ie Donald,Vic Ballarat,Vic & Maryborough, Vic, My Grandmother was Lilian Catherine Lawson who married Arthur William Day on 4/10/1911 and their marriage cert showed that her father William Robert Lawson to be deceased, so somewhere between 1899 & 1911 he had passed on but we are unable to come up with death details or a resting place,would appreciate any help or guidance in filling the missing link.

Regards,
                        Moya & Lionel Smith [moya nee day]

Comment

Hi Tony

I have people in my tree in NSW and Queensland which I have found using the State free sites. However for Victoria the only site I can find charges a fee. Do you know of a free site? Or do you have a subscription which allows you access without any additional fee? If the latter please find anyone called Colthup - I expect there to be very few.

Michael
                          People: Canton, Wiseman, Colthup, Scrace
                          Places: Pembrokeshire, Kent.

Comment

Tony, I don’t know if I’m asking the impossible or you can point me in the right direction.
                            I have William Charles Alexander TUCKER born 1884 Laura, S.A. to Charles William TUCKER and Wilhelmina Wagner.
                            He married to Ethel KERR (father John KERR, Westport, N.Z.) in Prospect or N.Z. in 1913.
                            William was a bank manager for The Commonwealth Bank and worked in N.Z and Adelaide. He died in 1933 in Adelaide. From his obituaries in the papers it says he leaves a son and a daughter. The son was studying at St. Peter’s College and the daughter at Port Pirie High School. The obits don’t give names for these children. How can I find out who they were? I’ve tried searching Ancestry but after 1911 the mother’s maiden name is not shown. His wife Ethel died circa 1967.
                            I have the obituaries if that would help. Any information or help you could give would be wonderful as I seem to have hit a brick wall. Thank you in anticipation,
                            Viv.

ADDENDUM
                            Tony, I have managed to get this information from a friend and have leaped forward with my research so I don't need you to look now. Thank you anyway, Regards Viv
                            Last edited by Viv; 13-06-11, 22:37. Reason: Info found
                            ♥Viv in Herts♥

Researching Tucker in London/Australia. Cliff in U.S.A. Fuller, Eaton & Sa(u)nders in Bedfordshire. Turner, Morley, Blythe & Webb in Cambridgeshire/Suffolk. Want in Hertfordshire.

Comment

Hi Moya & Lionel.

Had a look through various deaths ( 1899 to 1911 )in most states, and there are many possibles for a "William Lawson".
                              Can see nothing for a "William Robert Lawson"...but i noticed on many of his childrens deaths in Victoria, they refer to him as parents: William Lawson and Emily Cameron. Can you supply me with his parents names?
                              I noticed Emily LAWSON ( Cameron) died in 1946 in Victoria. Her death cert "may" supply how long she had been widowed.

Comment

Hi Michael.

Victoria bdm's do not have a free site's ( as such ) like NSW...QLD & W.A

Searching through my bdm cd's for the state of Victoria there are only two "COLTHUP" listed under ( Deaths ) 1921 to 1985

Surname: COLTHUP
                                Given Names: Louisa Emma
                                Father: Holwell Willia
                                Mother: Eleanor UNKNOWN
                                Death Place: PRA ( Prahran )
                                Age Code:
                                Year: 1974
                                Reg Number: 1061
                                Event: D

Surname: COLTHUP
                                Given Names: Arthur Henry Job
                                Father: Arthur Job
                                Mother: Margaret Ruth HINTON
                                Death Place: MENT ( Mentone )
                                Age Code:
                                Year: 1976
                                Reg Number: 30449
                                Event: D

Can only search up to 1985 for Victoria....but you might try "THE RYERSON INDEX" contemporary death notices and obituaries in Australian newspapers that go up to 2011

An index to death and funeral notices, and other death-type information, published in Australian newspapers from 1803 to the present

Tony ( Victoria )

Comment

Tony,
                                  According to their marriage cert Williams parents were William Lawson a Sea Captain & Isabella Young,i guess if William JNR was born in New Orleans the could have lived there !!.

On Emily's Lawsons [cameron] death cert it shows her to be a widow and husband to be William Alexanda Lawson which i truly think is a mistake as their 2nd son was William Alexander 55 yrs old at her death, i suppose the info provided is only as good as what info is given to the person filling out the form, as i noticed that their 3 rd child my grandmother to be Lorna lillian and her birth cert shows lilian catherine grace Lawson.

I have also heard from other sources that William may of been killed in a mining accident but who knows, my brother got a photo of Emilys grave from Fawkner cemetery and that only shows Emily's name.

Regards,
                                  Moya & Lionel.

Comment

Thanks Tony, very interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Oz View Post
                                      Hi Kaz.

For ordering bdm's from South Australia state archives.

Regarding "Stanley Rowland Lalor"

Unfortunatley, any births of children in South Australia ( after 1928 ) are not accessible for search by the general public under the Australian Privacy Act laws.
                                      The only way again ( same as Rupert Jillier ) to find what children he and his spouse may have had, would be to purchase either his death cert, or his spouses.
                                      Australian death certs list childrens names and ages ( living and deceased if known ) at the time of a parents death.

Tony ( Victoria )

Hi Tony,
                                      Sorry not to get back to you,but have been busy,life gets very much in my way at times.
                                      I would like to thank you for your help,i have now got the death cert of Rupert Lalor & it didn't tell me what i already knew,only that they never had children,they weren't married more than a year.
                                      But it's still nice to have it at long last.

My next question is,how can i get Stanley's death cert as it was 1986 Would they issue it only knowing i'm not direct connection only by his mother,she was my 3 x great aunt?
                                      Thanks,
                                      Kaz.

Comment

Hi Tony

I have worked out who these two called Colthup were (born in Kent and emigrated in 1920's). They had 3 children when they emigrated and then had a daughter in Victoria, probably around 1924-1930. Any sign of her on your discs?

If it is not too much trouble I would appreciate any other births or marriages of Colthup (A daughter should be married to a Payne) but apparently we should not post details of anyone possibly living, and any you find will be, so perhaps a personal message would be in order?

Michael
                                        Last edited by webwiz; 04-07-11, 10:53. Reason: Problem with possibly living people

Comment

Working...
                                        X