Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help needed please

Hi all,

Does anyone on here know of anyone who is good at dating when old photographs may have been taken & ages of people in times gone by? I have a photograph that I think may be my great grandmother & possibly her mum but am in no way sure. I was hoping someone on here could help & see if they think it's possible they may be mother & daughter or how old they may have been?

I put the photo in the family tree photo section a few days ago but so far no takers. Is this because no-one has any ideas or am I being impatient? :o Sorry if I am….I would just love to know where they fit into my family.

Thanks all
    Ness

Hi Vanessa

I don't have any expertise but people can sometimes date photos by finding the photographer's name in directories if its a professional photo. Otherwise you are dependent on hair styles and clothes, though poorer people may be wearing dated clothes rather than up to the minute fashions. Your local library might have - or be able to get on loan - a book on dating photos.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Hi Vanessa.

Cant help you personally, but a good link i have used myself to get an idea.

Tony ( Australia )
      Do not go where the path may lead,go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Comment

Have you looked here:

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
          Hi Vanessa

I don't have any expertise but people can sometimes date photos by finding the photographer's name in directories if its a professional photo. Otherwise you are dependent on hair styles and clothes, though poorer people may be wearing dated clothes rather than up to the minute fashions. Your local library might have - or be able to get on loan - a book on dating photos.
          Hi Little Nell,

Thank you very much for your help…I was sent the photos by email so have no other details like photographer etc. The family member who I got them from doesn’t know who they are either. I have had some replies on the posting with the photos on & they all seem to be very close on dates. I’ve also now added photographs of my great grandmother as I am wondering if one of the ladies could be her in her younger days or maybe her mother.

Originally posted by Tony Oz View Post
          Hi Vanessa.

Cant help you personally, but a good link i have used myself to get an idea.

Tony ( Australia )
          Thank you so much for the link Tony…that site is great & there are some amazing photos on it.

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
          Have you looked here:

Christine

Thank you Christine another great link with lovely pictures. I was looking most of the day yesterday for pictures but must have been looking with my eyes closed because I missed them all :o.

Thank you all so much for your help I really do appreciate it
          Ness

Comment

Working...
          X