Something strange

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something strange

I've just been entering fine details on my Family Tree Maker tree ( ie BDM ref No.s ) and come across a mystery.
    My father Richard Staveley was born on 23rd Sept. 1915 at Dent Yorks W/R. I obviously know that not only because I'm his son but also because I have previously bought his birth certificate. But on looking on Ancestry and Free BMD I can't find any reference to his birth whatsoever. I must have had the ref. No.s in the past or I wouldn't have been able to get the certificate.
    Has anyone got any ideas as to why.
    Ken. ;)

Staveley, Richardson, Maunder, Stewart.

What is his mother's maiden name?
    Elaine

Comment

Where did you get the cert from? Is it a record that didn't manage the leap from Local to GRO?

Or has part of the name got garbled between Yorkshire and GRO?

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

There is a birth in 1915 Dec qtr. Sedbergh registration district for a Richard S Maunder, with a corresponding Maunder/Staveley marriage a few years later.
        Elaine

Comment

There is a record for a Richard W Staveley born Bridlington Yorkshire 1913 - mothers maiden name Warriner. That is on FMP

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
            There is a birth in 1915 Dec qtr. Sedbergh registration district for a Richard S Maunder, with a corresponding Maunder/Staveley marriage a few years later.
            That is the correct registration district for Dent, Yorks.

Sedburgh registration was transferred to Kendal (Cumbria) later on.

Christine
            Last edited by Christine in Herts; 01-12-10, 15:22.
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
              This is the one Elaine, Thank you.
              Ken. ;)

Comment

So the birth cert you have is in actual fact in the surname of Maunder? Hence the registration not being in the surname of Staveley?
                http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
                My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
                My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

This is probably of no help whatsoever, but Maunder is a Cornish name. Have you looked at his parentage and their birthplaces ? l realise they would be your grandparents but could your father have been adopted ? In those days many family ' secrets ' were covered up and girls were often sent away to relatives in other parts of the country if they became pregnant when unmarried and the baby adopted.

Comment

BC

No, it is a straightforward case of a child being born illegitimate and the parents later marrying.

(I agree, Maunder is a Cornish name)

OC

Comment

My great grandmother was either very promiscuous or easily fooled as she had 3 illegitimate children before marrying late on in her life. Whichever it was it rubbed off onto my grandmother who had 2, one being my father. She was housekeeper to my grandfather before they married.
                      Ken. ;)

Comment

Working...
                      X