Says Bachelor but ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Says Bachelor but ???

Is it likely a man would say he is a Bachelor instead of a Widower on a Marriage Cert by mistake ???
    I have a John Wilson aged 54 a Labourer ,Father John Wilson Engineer ,marrying a Mary Burgess Widow ,born 1847 Camden ,in 1899 Islington he says he is a Bachelor.
    1901 he says born 1845 Nottinghamshire.
    Am trying to track him backwards but I keep coming back to a John Wilson with a Wife Martha and children ? so am wondering if he could have meant Widower and not Bachelor ?
    Cannot find Martha in 1901 ??
    Thanks

What's Martha's maiden name? Might she have "married" again?

The "bachelor" bit sounds more like denying the previous marriage to me - in which case the previous wife might still have been alive, but divorce was horrendously difficult and expensive... even more so than now.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

hi and thanks Christine thats the problem I dont seem able to trace Martha , not the Marriage or her Death , but the youngest child with John and Martha in 1891 is living with John and Mary in 1901 .

Comment

If Martha had been deemed an errant party, the child(ren) would certainly go to the husband - likewise if she'd been shut up in an asylum for any reason (or none).

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I found 5 of the daughters of John and Martha living together in 1901 without any parent, another daughter with the eldest married Sister.

Comment

Certainly seems as if something had rendered Martha incapable of caring for her children.

Christine

Comment

Perhaps John and Martha never married,so John would have been a batchelor when he married Mary.
              Fran

Comment

thanks Christine ,and thats an idea Fran ? I hadnt thought of that

Comment

just noticed Mary had Spinster crossed out and Widower added ???? hadn't spotted that before

Comment

Working...
                  X