Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thomas Abel Barrett

Hi all,

I am trying to find any information on Thomas Abel Barrett (have seen barrett spelt different ways). On the IGI it says he was born in abt 1772 in Exton Rutland but the parish records don't seem to support this....so where did he come from? I still think Rutland but don’t know where. He did have children in Exton with someone called Susanna (surname unknown) on the IGI it says she was born in Exton in abt 1776. I'm not sure if they were married or not, some ancestry members think they were married in approx 1791 but I can't find any records to support this (I emailed the ancestry member they said they got the info off the IGI but I couldn’t find it).

I first thought he was married to my 5th great grandmother Susannah Barret b.1770 in Exton (but I don’t think that was the case as she was born a Barret not married to one) & I’m now wondering if they could be related in another way maybe brother & sister or something (they both had children with the middle name of Charity).
    Any help would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks.

Vanessa
    Ness

Those IGI dates look like estimates based on date of baptism of their child - someone has submitted info assuming that they married just before first child was born and that the groom was 25 and bride 21 at the time. They have further assumed that they came from Exton because this is where they were when their children were baptised. The IGI extracted records can be a good guide to what is in the parish records, submitted records are only as good as the info the submitter was using but in both cases a study of the parish records of Exton, and then of other parishes in ever increasing circles around, or perhaps along the roads leading to Exton may turn up the people you are looking for. Good hunting.
    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Originally posted by JudithM View Post
      Those IGI dates look like estimates based on date of baptism of their child - someone has submitted info assuming that they married just before first child was born and that the groom was 25 and bride 21 at the time. They have further assumed that they came from Exton because this is where they were when their children were baptised. The IGI extracted records can be a good guide to what is in the parish records, submitted records are only as good as the info the submitter was using but in both cases a study of the parish records of Exton, and then of other parishes in ever increasing circles around, or perhaps along the roads leading to Exton may turn up the people you are looking for. Good hunting.
      Hi JudithM,

Thank you for your reply. I have a copy of Exton Parish Records which do confirm the childrens births but not the rest of it....so I think my only option is as you say to get hold of the rest of Rutland's Parish Records & go hunting. Thank you for your help
      Last edited by jadzia; 29-11-10, 10:45.
      Ness

Comment

I suggest you cast your net wider into Northamptonshire which borders Rutland. I have many ancestors in Northants including Barrett and most of these are not on the IGI. Barrett is a very common name in the Northants area and also in the Peterborough area and into the Huntingdon borders, the areas of many Barrets are Weldon Northants, Little and Great Gidding Hunts and villages around Peterborough. The IGI is very thin for Northants so you will need to get hold of some parish records. You could try Free Reg for starters at:

Search your ancestry with FreeREG. FreeREG provides free online access to transcriptions of birth, marriage and burial records from Church of England and Church of Scotland registers. You can also use FreeREG to discover: non-Conformist records from England, Scotland and Wales, Municipal Cemetary records, Memorial records and documents relating to life events out of country, at sea and in the military.

There is a lot of Northants on here but not a lot for Rutland or Hunts. If no luck there then try Alan Clarke's Northants site at:

There is also an Ecton in Northants at:

www.ectonvillage.co.uk

I have gone back to 1790 in Weldon for Barrett but as my Barretts are only twiglets I have not gone further back.

How far is Exton Rutland from the border of Northants? If yours are anything like mine they flit backwards and forwards over borders to marry, work, have children etc! Rutland was a very small county, in fact it was always known as the smallest county in the UK!

Janet
        Last edited by Janet; 29-11-10, 10:59.

Comment

Originally posted by Janet View Post
          I suggest you cast your net wider into Northamptonshire which borders Rutland. I have many ancestors in Northants including Barrett and most of these are not on the IGI. Barrett is a very common name in the Northants area and also in the Peterborough area and into the Huntingdon borders, the areas of many Barrets are Weldon Northants, Little and Great Gidding Hunts and villages around Peterborough. The IGI is very thin for Northants so you will need to get hold of some parish records. You could try Free Reg for starters at:

Search your ancestry with FreeREG. FreeREG provides free online access to transcriptions of birth, marriage and burial records from Church of England and Church of Scotland registers. You can also use FreeREG to discover: non-Conformist records from England, Scotland and Wales, Municipal Cemetary records, Memorial records and documents relating to life events out of country, at sea and in the military.

There is a lot of Northants on here but not a lot for Rutland or Hunts. If no luck there then try Alan Clarke's Northants site at:

There is also an Ecton in Northants at:

www.ectonvillage.co.uk

Janet
          Hi Janet,

Thank you for your reply & the links etc. It's funny you should say about Northamptonshire (my maiden name was Barratt) before I moved to New Zealand I lived in Kettering Northants & I know a lot of the Barretts there....I hadn't thought that I may have been related to them because most of my Barratt's/Barretts moved to Melton Mowbray Leics (where I was born) from Rutland. Although having said that I know my Great Great Aunt was born in Gretton Northants so it is very possible I suppose. I wish I'd looked into that before moving to NZ as I think it would have made it a lot easier :D
          Last edited by jadzia; 29-11-10, 11:16.
          Ness

Comment

Hm Yes New Zealand is a tad bit far to get to Northants CRO.:( Lovely country though I managed a trip to North and South Island 2003 and have some happy memories of that trip.

I do have some CD's for Parish Records for Northants and Hunts but I am hesitating to offer to look at prseent as I am just in the middle of getting all my overseas letters and cards organised to send for Christmas but if you can wait a couple of weeks until I am sorted I will hunt through and see what I have. I also happen to have a Susannah Noble who married an Edward Barrett but much later than yours though I have tracked Edwards ancestors to Weldon with different Barrett spellings in the 1700's.

Janet

Comment

Originally posted by Janet View Post
              Hm Yes New Zealand is a tad bit far to get to Northants CRO.:( Lovely country though I managed a trip to North and South Island 2003 and have some happy memories of that trip.

I do have some CD's for Parish Records for Northants and Hunts but I am hesitating to offer to look at prseent as I am just in the middle of getting all my overseas letters and cards organised to send for Christmas but if you can wait a couple of weeks until I am sorted I will hunt through and see what I have. I also happen to have a Susannah Noble who married an Edward Barrett but much later than yours though I have tracked Edwards ancestors to Weldon with different Barrett spellings in the 1700's.

Janet
              Hi Janet,

I'm in no hurry....christmas is such a busy time isn't it, whenever you get time after the holidays would be great thank you very much. The name Susannah Noble rings a bell but not sure why, maybe i've come across it looking for records. I really appreciate your help
              Last edited by jadzia; 29-11-10, 20:20.
              Ness

Comment

Hi Vanessa,

Will do as soon as I can. I Feel very virtuous today, having written 6 letters and cards to rellies in the United States. Someone in Australia was claiming them, but at the time they had wrong details, so I dismissed their claims, but I cannot find anything to show what happened to the family, one of my brick walls!

Janet
                Last edited by Janet; 22-11-11, 09:41.

Comment

Hi Vanessa, you might find this link useful, loads of people researching that area

Nina

Comment

Originally posted by Inahaystack View Post
                    Hi Vanessa, you might find this link useful, loads of people researching that area

Nina
                    Hi Nina,

Thank you for the link....i'll go & have a look now
                    Ness

Comment

Working...
                    X