Adobe Reader10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adobe Reader10

I have Windows 7 (64bit) operating system and recently upgraded Adobe Reader from 9.5 (which worked fine with XP and later with Windows7) to 10 as it seemed a good idea at the time. This really bought my pc to a halt at the entire screen was filled with a statement of their Terms. All I had to do was to "Press Accept Button" but, alas, there was no provision whatsoever for doing this and the statement could not be shifted except by switching off the pc - and this with some difficulty. I reported the fault to MS and all I could get was "Application not Compatible with your pc "

So I tried, unsuccessfuly to revert to 9,5 but no luck, same impasse. I had to uninstall it before I could get back online.

I have been with Adobe for a dozen years with no problem. Any ideas anyone?
    Len of the Chilterns passed away July 2021

Do a google search for " PDF readers " and you will find there are alternatives to the Adobe bloated products.

Try un-installing Adobe Reader and installing one of the alternatives , you will be amazed at the speed and lightness of them.And they do not phone home all the time.

If you are not happy just un-install and go back to Adobe bloat. It should only take 30 minutes of your time.

Ken

Comment

Hi Len,
      Good to see you on board again! Not sure about the 10 version but some people were having a problem with 9 - see http://forums.adobe.com/message/3156869

I have always used Adobe and have found it so much better and easier than some of the others.

Hope the rest of the computer is behaving well apart from that blip.

Regards, Marion
      There is no absolute truth - and no final answer.

Comment

Will do that. No trouble about uninstalling Adobe as I have already done so.

Comment

May I please recommend http://www.foxitsoftware.com/downloads/index.php I have used this instead of Adobe and find it so much more friendly and less resource hogging.

Kind regards
          Linda - Happy Hunting

A tidy house is the sign of a broken computer

Researching: Brown, Bell, Key and Musgrave from Cumberland. Dodds, Green, Campbell, Hall, Armstrong, Davison from Co. Durham. Raymond from Devon/Cornwall.

Comment

Thank you, Linda. Will try it.

I have to admit that since uninstalling Adobe, I have not missed it.

Comment

Please can I ask - do these other PDF readers work for CD-roms that have records that appear to be written with Adobe in mind? I have quite a lot of Kent Family History Society disks with transcribed parish records on them and they open the Adobe reader automatically. Can I change settings somewhere so that they use another reader? I would hate not to be able to use my CD-roms.

Ann
              ".... thy memory shall be blest by the children of the children of thy child".
              Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Comment

Hi Ann

If you un-install Adobe Reader and then install one of the others they will work the same as Adobe Reader.
                I have Foxit on the partition with XP and it reads ALL CDs that I have purchased with Parish Records etc.

Ken

Comment

Originally posted by kenw55 View Post
                  Hi Ann

If you un-install Adobe Reader and then install one of the others they will work the same as Adobe Reader.
                  I have Foxit on the partition with XP and it reads ALL CDs that I have purchased with Parish Records etc.

Ken
                  Thanks very much Ken; that is definitely something to look into.

Ann
                  Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Comment

General point....

If you want to open a file/document and the program the computer expects to use is not there, (eg Adobe Reader and you've uninstalled it) you will get a prompt along the lines of "Open with..." and a box which will enable you to choose the program to use - so you need to know your answer in advance. Somewhere on the prompt will be a checkbox which (if ticked) will tell the computer to use the new program to open all files of this type in future. File names have two parts, the first part is the name and then there is a dot (US "period") and then an extension (used to be 3 characters, now sometimes more). In many File Managers like Explorer you can choose not to see the extension, and if you have never seen it this will be because not seeing it is the default. Each extension is associated with a default program (eg in Windows, .doc usually with Word, .xls with Excel, .txt with Notepad) which is the one used to open it when you click on the file. Choosing the program as described in my first sentence changes the association.

Linux is more subtle in its associations than Windows but the fundamentals are the same.

Comment

Originally posted by col48 View Post
                      General point....

If you want to open a file/document and the program the computer expects to use is not there, (eg Adobe Reader and you've uninstalled it) you will get a prompt along the lines of "Open with..." and a box which will enable you to choose the program to use - so you need to know your answer in advance. Somewhere on the prompt will be a checkbox which (if ticked) will tell the computer to use the new program to open all files of this type in future. File names have two parts, the first part is the name and then there is a dot (US "period") and then an extension (used to be 3 characters, now sometimes more). In many File Managers like Explorer you can choose not to see the extension, and if you have never seen it this will be because not seeing it is the default. Each extension is associated with a default program (eg in Windows, .doc usually with Word, .xls with Excel, .txt with Notepad) which is the one used to open it when you click on the file. Choosing the program as described in my first sentence changes the association.

Linux is more subtle in its associations than Windows but the fundamentals are the same.

Ah now, that rings a bell. It was only a few months ago that I upgraded to Adobe Reader 9 from a much earlier version (and I don't like it) and the first time I needed to use it I remember getting that prompt plus the check box telling the computer to always use Adobe 9.

Ann
                      Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Comment

Working...
                      X