Coventry WW2 help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coventry WW2 help

I know some of you are from Coventry and surrounding area (like me!), so you maybe able to help. As its just been the 70th anniversary of the Coventry Blitz, I've gained a new found interest in one part of my family. I know that my maternal great grandmother had 8 children, and they all lived in and around Coventry. My Nan was the youngest, born in 1917, but she was also the last one to die, which was about 3 years ago, so no one left to ask. I want to know where I can find out who was living where during WW2 in Coventry. My maternal grandfather also lived in Coventry during that time. I remember visiting some of them in Coventry when I was young and my mother can just about remember some of the addresses, but this was only about 35 years ago and I want to see if I can find out where they lived on the night of the Blitz. None of my family were killed - very lucky! Any clues anyone??
    Lisa

If it's Foleshill, there's a fascinating book written about it - "Burnt Roof". There are lots of names named in that one.

Otherwise - some other ideas:
    • The local archives / records office.
    • The local newspaper?
    • Library
    • Local History society

googling...

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

No electoral rolls were kept during the war, but you could try applying for your grandparents' ID cards:

Comment

I didn't know we could apply for ID cards! Thanks Mary! I think I'll have to email Coventry archives and see what they have. Went on a Blitz walking tour of Coventry on Saturday night - it was freezing cold but brilliant! Really gave me an insight of what it was like, even though I know that it would have been much worse. Pointed out things that I have walked passed hundreds of times and never noticed! If you fancy it then go to the website:

Comment

Thanks, Lisa

That looks like something I'd really like to do when I'm within range.

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
          X