Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Samuel UNKNOWN - b c 1847 - Bringhurst, Leics (?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Samuel UNKNOWN - b c 1847 - Bringhurst, Leics (?)

Anyone fancy a real challenge?

In 1861 Samuel Burdett (15) is shown as living in High Street, Leicester - pob Bringhurst. He does not appear to be related to head of house hold.

In 1870, on enlistment into Royal Marines, his dob is recorded as 29 January, 1847. His pob is given as All Saints, Leicester (where he had been living in 1861). His stated age on all subsequent censuses is consistent with given dob. His pob in 1891 is again shown as Bringhurst, otherwise as Leicester/shire.

I cannot find him in 1851, nor can I see a birth registration that appears to relate.

I am developing the theory that he was registered in another name at birth and after his mother re/married, probably 1851-1861, he adopted the surname Burdett. I have yet to obtain his marriage certificate (1875 to Elizabeth Hatch) but recognise that, even if included, father's details may not be totally reliable if paternity uncertain.

I am hoping that someone can supply me with details of any Samuel, b c 1847, born or living in Bringhurst in 1851, together with mother's name, so that I may compare with 1861 and BMD.

A big ask, I know, but I am really in need of help.

Bringhurst is within the registration district of Uppingham.
    Checking the birth registrations for Uppingham, 1847 show the following:

1847 1st quarter
    Samuel Latimer
    Samuel Neale

1847 2nd quarter
    Samuel Durnford
    Samuel Hargrave
    Samuel Brow[IE]Tt - as transcribed on Ancestry. Looking at the image for this I think it is probably Browett so maybe worth following this name through.
    Elaine

Comment

1851 for Samuel Browett

Household:
      Joseph Browett 26
      Elizabeth Browett 26
      Samuel Browett 3 - born Gretton
      Mary Browett 2
      Emer Browett 3

HO107; Piece: 2093; Folio: 151; Page: 13
      Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!
      Elaine

Comment

it might be that his birth wasnt registered, as I understand it alot of people didnt bother and had them baptised instead. It wasnt until 1875 when the rules about registering your child was reinforced and those that didnt were taxed heavily I think. Hence most folks then did register their children.
        Julie
        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

There is a Birth registered for a Samuel Browitt Jun 1847 Uppingham 15 681

Comment

Thanks Julie, Elaine and Val.

I was quite encouraged by the Browett reference but have found him in Sussex in 1861 so not mine. Have yet to concentrate on the others. I had seen Latimer and Neale previously and dismissed them but will now have a closer look. Of course he may have been born elsewhere and only grown up in Bringhurst.

Julie - I take your point about non-registration but does not explain his absence in 1851 ( unless parents had a "thing" about officialdom)

Comment

Working...
            X