Help needed finding relatives back in mid 1800's Yorkshire/Lancashire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help needed finding relatives back in mid 1800's Yorkshire/Lancashire

Hi everyone, my dad and I have managed to trace back my great-great-great grandfather back to when he was in the Royal Marines in the 1880's. He came to Plymouth, where we live now, during the 1880's and have got a good idea of what he did and his service history and the consequent generations.

However we are having trouble finding what his father/mother's names were and any other information about them and i thought i'd post on this forum to see if anyone can help out in any way.

His birthplace is listed as Manchester, Lancashire. (Cant make out the first part, possibly Longsight?, definitely long...) and married Annie Lightfoot in Plymouth. We have addresses during his time in Plymouth but nothing before his move down from Yorkshire/Lancashire

We are new to tracing our family history so we are hitting quite a few dead ends. If anybody could help we would be very happy, seeing as we have gone quite far back already.

Will be happy to provide more information if you were able to help.

Thanks in advance, Lee

Forgot to add his name is Joseph Ransley.

Comment

Hi Lee

Welcome to the forum

The best place to start would be to order his birth certificate from the GRO. This will give you his parents names and his fathers occupation so that you can start looking for their marriage.

Do you have his name and approx date of birth?
      Vikki -
      Researching Titchmarsh and Tushingham

Comment

Hi, thanks for the quick reply, i will take a look on there now. His name is Joseph Ransley and his birth year is listed as 1861 on his Marine's record.

Comment

Just having a look on the birth index and the only Joseph Ransley born circa 1861 was one born in 1857 Kent/Sussex.

Will look a bit more and see what pops up
          Vikki -

Comment

Just found a death for a Joseph Ransley in 1927 in Devon - East Stonehouse. Could this be him died aged 65 so would put his birth around 1861-1862

I have found the marriage entry into the register

Joseph Ransley
            Esther Ann Lightfoot
            Jul-Aug-Sept
            District Plymouth
            County Devon
            Vol 5b
            Pg 496

This certificate will give you his fathers name and occupation
            Last edited by vikki brace; 25-11-10, 18:08. Reason: marriage details
            Vikki -

Comment

A good starting point would be to get his marriage certificate, which can be ordered from the General Register Office - cost 9.25 pounds
              This looks like the registration
              Marriages Sep 1891
              Lightfoot Esther Ann
              Ransley Joseph
              Registration district -Plymouth, volume 5b, page 496

This will give you the Esther and Joseph's fathers' names, which would help you find them in previous censuses.

Have you found Joseph in the 1901 census?
              Elaine

Comment

Just found Joseph, Annie and their children in 1901 - Joseph is giving his place of birth as Leeds, Yorkshire
                (Class: RG13; Piece: 2104; Folio: 147; Page: 16)

Joseph Ransley age 40
                Annie Ransley age 34
                Reggie Ransley age 8
                Harold Ransley age 7
                Elsie Ransley age 5
                Louise Ransley age 3
                Leonard Ransley age 1
                Vikki -

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                  Have you found Joseph in the 1901 census?
                  Just checking the census and he appears to be living in East Stonehouse - household as follows

Joseph Ransley 40
                  Annie Ransley 34
                  Reggie Ransley 8
                  Harold Ransley 7
                  Elsie Ransley 5
                  Lomie Ransley 3
                  Leonard Ransley 1

Is this your family? Joseph gives his place of birth here as Leeds Yorkshire!

RG13; Piece: 2104; Folio: 147; Page: 16.
                  Elaine

Comment

Yes thats him. Sorry we thought her first name was Annie but all that information is correct. Out of curiosity how much is it to order a certificate from the GRO? And would you be able to tell us if we could pursue the paternal or maternal line even further? I'm aware that records are more scarce the further back you go, but what would be a reasonable level of information we could access?

Thanks for your help so far, appreciate it very much.

Comment

Welcome to FTF, Lee!

I can tell you that that marriage took place in Holy Trinity Church, Plymouth, on 15 August.

If you go to the Plymouth & West Devon Record Office, they'll have the microfiche for that, I expect, and you can get a print out for the price of a photo-copy (ca 40p, I think) instead of paying for a certificate.

If you'er going, you'd better make it soon! http://www.plymouth.gov.uk/archives
                      Christmas closing and refurbishment work
                      The office will be closed to the public for refurbishment from 13 December 2010 to 7 January 2011.
                      This is the visiting info, if you haven't been before: http://www.plymouth.gov.uk/homepage/...visitingus.htm
                      You'll need to have relevant ID with you, if you don't already have a CARN card.

Christine
                      Last edited by Christine in Herts; 25-11-10, 18:17.
                      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I wonder if there has been a change in the spelling over the years. There is a Joseph Rawnsley born c1861 in Leeds showing on some of the earlier censuses.
                        Elaine

Comment

Using the census you can get back to 1841. Birth, Marriage and death certificates begin in 1837 before then you then need to look at parish records.

These records can be found at your local archive, some records can be found online. If you have a look through the reference library (tab, top left of the screen) you will find some useful links

Any certificate you order from the GRO will cost £9.25 (assuming you are ordering in the uk and opt for the standard delivery) http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/
                          Vikki -

Comment

Originally posted by ransley1991 View Post
                            And would you be able to tell us if we could pursue the paternal or maternal line even further? I'm aware that records are more scarce the further back you go, but what would be a reasonable level of information we could access?
                            Using a combination of certificates and the census information on Ancestry you should be able to get back to the early 1800s without too much trouble. Pre 1837 (the start of civil registration) you are relying on parish registers.

You might find it useful to read our Getting Started section in the Reference Library - accessed via the links on our Home Page. Lots of useful information there.

... and welcome to Family Tree Forum!
                            Elaine

Comment

I note that FMP picks up RAWNSLEY as a variant. It might be worth going down that route?

Christine

PS - there is an area of Manchester called "Longsight". You can find out more about it if you google : longsight manchester
                              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by ransley1991 View Post
                                His birthplace is listed as Manchester, Lancashire.
                                Seems odd that he gives his birth place as Manchester on his naval records and then as Leeds, Yorkshire on subsequent censuses.

Hopefully the marriage certificate will give you a bit more information to work with. If you need more help once you have got it then come back and add to this thread.
                                Elaine

Comment

Thanks everyone for helping out. I'll take a further look now and come back if i need some more help. Thanks again

Comment

Hey everyone, i have studied the certificates we already have for some family members, mostly of Joseph Ransley and on his marriage certificate it gives his fathers name as Robert Ransley (looks like Robert anyway). When i did a quick search the only results i found were for Robert Rawnsley, which i know some people on here already mentioned to look at the change in surname.

The trouble is i dont have the experience to search correctly or any subscriptions to any record websites, but if anybody could find any records that look like they could possibly belong to a member of the family would they be kind enough to link them to me, i dont mind paying for a credits-based subscription.

What we know so far is that his name is Robert Ransley and he was a linen manufacturer by the looks of it.

If anyone could help out again i would be very grateful, everyone wa sso helpful last time. If you need any help then i have quite a few certificates that i could look at if you need a few additional clues.

Thanks in advance, Lee

Comment

Hi Lee - have just popped onto your thread, being nosy. I am only a novice and been helped a lot on here in past.

Have you thought of taking out subs with Ancestry.co.uk and get first 14 days free trial. You can cancel after that time. You can then access all the census records, birth marriage death indexes and much more.

Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!
                                      Liz

Comment

If its any help, Linen manufacturing was a big industry in Barnsley, Yorkshire in the first part of the 19thC.

Anne

Comment

Working...
                                        X