Baptised twice ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baptised twice ?

I won't ask anyone to look this up because I'll be getting my FTM with Ancestry subscription as soon as Amazon sends them out, but I was wondering if anyone had ever heard of a child having 2 baptisms a few days apart, in different parishes ? The information I have suggests that the parents were married, so presumably living together in the same parish.

Probably just a mix up in the family trees I've seen.

hiya Grey,

I have heard of it happening, but dont think I have experienced it first hand. (at least I dont at the moment remember it ) head/nose streaming sorry tmi...
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Julie....get well soon......gig x

Comment

Get off to bed Julie, we could all catch your cold if you hang around here

Sorry Grey, I don't know as I haven't come across it either. My lot were more likely to miss the first baptism never mind doing it twice :D
        Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by greyingrey View Post
          Julie....get well soon......gig x
          i'll try

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
          Get off to bed Julie, we could all catch your cold if you hang around here

Sorry Grey, I don't know as I haven't come across it either. My lot were more likely to miss the first baptism never mind doing it twice :D
          you can go off some folks you know :p :p (just kidding) I rememeber Ligna Vita well...
          Julie
          They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

My experience of two baptisms is when a baby is so sickly at birth that they are baptised ASAP, often at home, so that if they do die they are in God's care. If they survive, then they are accepted into the church, being baptised in the usual way. Perhaps the different parishes was because the baby was born unexpectantly away from home and the local vicar had to baptise them quickly. The baptism ceremony could then have taken place at the home parish at a later date. Although I would check original records to confirm that this isn't an error.

Comment

I haven't come across this though I am still puzzled as to why my gt x 3 grandmother Hannah was baptised on the same day as her son Emmets (my gt x 2 grandfather). She had married in the church and her eldest child was baptised there 2 years earlier. It was a small village so no idea what the vicar was up to!
              ~ with love from Little Nell~
              Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Maybe the vicar saw a chance to take some extra fees, Nell ?....or would they have paid a "flat fee" ?

I'm going to check the original parish records anyway, just in case there were 2 babies with the same name (& not THAT common a name & with parents with the same names) baptised within 2 or 3 days of each other. And the parish is quite important in this case. If it was a sickly baby, then 3 days isn't very long for it to recover sufficiently to make about...what...a 15 mile journey... & have a second baptism (the first baptism seems to have been in church, too, but maybe this was just "assumed"). I did wonder if it might be for the sake of both sets of grandparents,....maybe they couldn't travel.

Comment

i have a family who seemed to baptise children twice, i have no idea why, but my gran was christened quickly because she was quite sickly, we still dont know what she had. only it must be serious, because her heart isnt in the right place!

Comment

My Everitts seemed to baptise every twice except my direct ancestors who they forgot about.

They didn't bap the children as they were born and did it in job lots and I think they forgot who had been bap and who hadn't.

They didn't even get the same church each time. I have only found this out with Freereg which is a great help for us with Nottingham families.
                    Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Working...
                    X