Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WWI missing War Hero, where do I go next

Hi

I have identified that I have two great uncles who were killed in action in the WWI. Both their names appear on the War Memorial in the village where they were born. I have identified one of the uncles who was killed at Passendale in 1917, via the CWGC website. The other is proving more illusive.

I am not sure where else to take my search to track him down, Any suggestions would be welcome.

Many thanks

Clamity

Hello Calmity,

perhaps if you post details of the two gt uncles then we can have a look and see if we can assist you, have you had a look at our military section in our reference library?

Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Have you checked the normal death index?
      Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
        Have you checked the normal death index?
        Margaret
        It's not unknown for someone to be repatriated wounded, then die on home soil.
        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Did they both definitely die in the War?
          Some memorials list those who served as well.
          I have a relative listed on a War Memorial in Herefordshire, but he didn't die until many years later.

Comment

Hi

Thank you for all your suggestions, I have now rechecked the normal death records but he does not appear here.

The names of the brothers are Cecil Francis Seymour born 1892 and Henry Reginald Seymour born 1889, died Passendale on 22 August 1917, he was enlisted in the Oxford and Bucks Light Infantry Service Number 267578.

They were both born in Pyrton, Watlington, Oxford and the War Memorial is on the Lych Gate of St Marys Church Pyrton.

In the meantime I will have look at the library.

Many thanks

Clamity

Comment

I don't know whether you are aware Clamity but soldiers didn't always join the regiments you expect. It took me ages to find one because the only likely one had joined a regiment at the other end of the country.
              Have you consider the Cecil F Seymour who was a Lance Corporal in the Scots Guards and died 24/8/1918 - buried at Mory Street Military Cemetery, St. Leger?

p.s. Have now found this and he apparently lived in Lancashire but the name is spot on -

p.p.s. A photograph of the grave is available if it proves to be him - http://www.twgpp.org/information.php?id=500210
              Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 24-11-10, 11:13.
              Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Hi Chrissie

I have looked at this one before, according to the military records on findmypast.co.uk this Cecil Francis was born in Edinburgh so had discounted this one. I have to agree the name is the same and reasonally unusual but I am not sure how I would go about checking into him further.

Many thanks

Clamity

Comment

Sorry Jane, worth a try but it does look as though it's a different Cecil Francis doesn't it.

Comment

You may already have this, but Cecil Francis Seymour married Amy Maria Petrie in Clapham on 30 April 1917 (the register is on Ancestry). He was a soldier, 26, and his father was Henry Seymour, forester. If this is your man (sounds about right to me) at least you know he didn't die before this!

scuda
                    Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

Comment

I don't think you should totally disregard the Cecil Francis Seymour that Chrissie found - I don't have any credits for ScotlandsPeople, but I've just done a free search and I can't see anyone of that name born at around the right time. Maybe someone who is more used to using ScotlandsPeople could check. If there is no Cecil Francis Seymour birth there within a few years of 1892, then the Edinburgh birthplace could be a red herring. (In 1911 your man is in Oxfordshire, but working in a mainly Scottish household, the head being from Edinburgh - maybe this is a coincidence, but maybe not.)

scuda
                      Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

Comment

Hi Chrissie

Thank you for you help, it is appreciated.

Clamity

Comment

Hi Scuda

This all looks very interesting it did cross my mind that as he was in service the family could have moved to Scotland, I hadn't realised that they were actually Scottish. I must admit I was put off by the birthplace being Edinburgh. I am not sure how to go about further verification of record though?

I will definitely look into the the marriage which look possibly as Henry Seymour has previously been recorded as being a sawyer.

Thank you to all.

Clamity

Comment

You're welcome Clamity - I hope you find him

Comment

Clamity,
                              If you work on the basis that the death on 24 August 1918 is the man you want, it would be worth looking for a mention, at least, in a paper local to Pyrton during the few weeks after that. I don't think these are online, but I expect would be at the Record Office, or a main library.

scuda

Comment

Hi Scuda

Thanks for that, looks like another trip to Oxford required.

Ta

Clamity:smilee:

Comment

Working...
                                X