George Scott and family from Canonbie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• George Scott and family from Canonbie

My great great great grandfather was George Scott from Canonbie in Dumfriesshire. He married Ann Hogg in 1828. I am trying to find out death details for his three older daughters, Mary, Ann, and Jane. I have been unable to find anything on Scotlands People. I have a transcript of the wording from the gravestone in Canonbie Cemetery for George Scott and Ann Hogg. It reads:-
    (first part illegible)....SCOTT who died....aged 76 years. Also....his daughter, and wife of.....who died at Nebraska...Also ANN HOGG wifeof the above George SCOTT who died at Hollows 24 April 1883 aged 84 years. Also Margaret daughter of the above who died at Langholm aged 57 years. Also Robert Scott, blacksmith, who died at Hollows 23 JUly 1900 aged 63 years. Also Wilhelmina Scott their daughter who died at Carlisle 23rd January 1911 aged....years. There was another Mary Scott who was boorn 1930 and died 1900 in Canonbie but it is the wrong Mary Scott. If anyone can help me to unravel this, especially how I can fnd out which sister died at Nebraska, I would be very grateful

Well this is them in 1861 all born and living in Canonbie in Dumfriesshire. George is 63 and a blacksmith and Ann 62 is listed as wife BUT Ann Hogg!! Margaret Scott and Robert Scott (Blacksmith) are listed as daughter and son (not daughter in law). Then Grandchildren - Georgina Nichole 11 - George Berthe 8 - Jane Wylie 7 - William Scott 4 - Then this one not listed as grandaughter or anything else Margaret Scott 3.

In 1841 they are George and Ann Scott - both 30. Mary 11, Ann 10, Jane 7, Margaret 4 and Robert 2.

Just for reference to help with ages.
    Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 23-11-10, 09:39.
    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Have you had a look on here?

You never know, you just might strike lucky.

Regards
      Katherine
      Last edited by Katherine; 23-11-10, 18:36.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
        Well this is them in 1861 all born and living in Canonbie in Dumfriesshire. George is 63 and a blacksmith and Ann 62 is listed as wife BUT Ann Hogg!! Margaret Scott and Robert Scott (Blacksmith) are listed as daughter and son (not daughter in law). Then Grandchildren - Georgina Nichole 11 - George Berthe 8 - Jane Wylie 7 - William Scott 4 - Then this one not listed as grandaughter or anything else Margaret Scott 3.
        It's quite common for the wife to be recorded in her maiden name.
        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Thank you all so much for replying. I have to say that I do have most of this information. What I am really trying to discover are the death dates for Mary, Ann, and Jane Scott, the older daughters of George and Ann Scott(nee Hogg), and which one of them died in Nebraska. How can I find this out please.
          Thanks
          Gordon

Comment

I suppose the starting point is to search the death records on ScotlandsPeople, though it could be a long process if you aren't sure when and where an individual died. Unfortunately you're dealing with commonly used Scottish names. It is possible that one of them left a will, so a free search of the Wills section on SP may produce something.
            Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
            X