This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wd40?

I am planning an imminent clean and dust of my computer's innards. When I worked on Photocopiers we used WD40 to lubricate all areas. Is it suitble to use in my computer. Or will it do expensive damage?
    Grampa Jim passed away September 2011

I don't think I would want to stick my hoover into my computer's innards in fear that I would suck up something vital!! :D

Usually just hold the hoover over the vents on the outside which usually clears away any loose dust and stops the fan from keep cutting in.

As for WD40, I wouldn't even attempt it. As there's no moving parts then surely you don't need lubrication, and you're in danger of shorting out delicate circuitry.

Leave well alone is my motto! ;)

Comment

I've seen a canister of compressed air recommended to blow dust away. I definitely wouldn't spray WD40 around!!!!!!

Anne

Comment

No, not WD40. I have been advised that WD40 is OK for a sticky push-button on Central Heating controls (without isolating them electrically) so you probably wouldn't short them out. But it's a chemical, so it may change the chemical properties of some very delicate components. Compressed Air should be OK, but be gentle with it.

Common sense suggests that it is best to make sure the vent exit has plenty of space around it and the computer is not close to a radiator and not covered up.

Also, if going into the innards, make sure you are securely earthed - not for your sake, but for the computer's! The least bit of static electricity can fry the electronics. The technicians wear wrist straps linked to earth when they are working.

Personally, I leave well alone and just use a duster round the outside!

Comment

Dave (IT systems person - who does this for a living) says you should use "Air" only. Either a hoover or use a can of compressed air. There are very few bits (if any) in a PC that would require a lubricant.
          Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

compressed air only Jim... hoovers can generate static....
            https://squeakerslair.wordpress.com

Comment

Working...
            X