How can I find...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can I find...

The name of a Pub in 1881, 1891...The address was 184 Corporation St, Cheetham, Manchester, Lancs.?
    At least I am assuming they all lived and worked in the pub.

Owners were Thomas Teer and Elizabeth Teer. Elizabeth later remarries and becomes Carabine.

Jackie
    Be nice to your kids...they have to choose your nursing home!

See if you can find a street directory/Pigots directory or similar for Manchester, that should list all the pubs and their addresses. These are usually on Ancestry.
    I assume you're taking the information from the census?

Lisa

Comment

There are OCR-searchable trade directories here, for free: http://www.historicaldirectories.org/

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Yes from census's...just assuming where they lived was a pub.

Comment

Thanks Christine...I'll take a look!

Comment

You might also try the Manchester City Council website as they have lot of information together with photographs of the old streets before they were demolished for redevelopment - not sure how much there is on Cheetham. I emailed the site and had a great reply including a copy of a 1880 map of the streets I was interested in and some stuff about the pubs in the area which I was trying to find.
            Corporation Street is right in the centre of Manchester so there maybe some good stuff to find.
            Margaret

Comment

Thank you Margaret...I'll give that a go. I didnt have much luck with the directories.

Comment

Coming to this a bit late, but I've been away.

I have found that the name of the pub appears as the address on the census, rather than a street number, if the people lived in the pub. For example, my Bell ancestors are enumerated at "Top Derby Inn" for several census. They lived over the pub.

OC

Comment

Thanks for that OCH...but still I would have thought if they were the publicans then chances are they would live there...suppose there is no way of knowing where they worked then. If they were the publicans, doesn't that mean they "Own" the pub? Or just run it?

Jackie

Comment

A publican just has a licence to run a public house, they don't necessarily own the pub.

My Bells were publicans and ran the same pub for over 50 years but they didn't own it.

It may just be that the enumerator didn't enter the name of the pub on the census form, but that seems a bit unusual to me, as my pubby ones are always living in a named pub! It also seems unusual for a licensee not to be living over the pub, especially in those days.

OC

Comment

Maybe its a beerhouse rather than a pub, names are harder to find or didn't have one?
                      Slaters 1879 Manchester
                      Elizabeth Teer beer retailer at 20 Corporation St Dulcie bridge
                      listed at no 10 is Thomas Wm Podmore, watchmaker - he is 186 Corporation street in 1881 census
                      other people than Teer listed as beer retailers for 184 in later directories

Comment

Ah, right. Jacqueline said they were Publicans. I agree Beerhouse keepers would only have a street address.

My 2 x GGF James Holden was a "shopkeeper and beerhouse keeper" in Manchester. Family legend has it that he brewed the beer in the backyard and drank it there with his boozy mates whilst my longsuffering 2 x GGM ran the shop in the front room of their terraced house.

OC

Comment

My husband's grandfather owned/ran a beer house in East London and we have a photo of one of his aunts in it and it looks like a shop rather than a pub with only 1 beer tap on the counter but many bottles on the shelves behind.
                          Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                            A publican just has a licence to run a public house, they don't necessarily own the pub.

My Bells were publicans and ran the same pub for over 50 years but they didn't own it.

It may just be that the enumerator didn't enter the name of the pub on the census form, but that seems a bit unusual to me, as my pubby ones are always living in a named pub! It also seems unusual for a licensee not to be living over the pub, especially in those days.

OC
                            Thats what I was thinking...very unusual.

Comment

JB Interesting..beer seller
                              OC LOL...sounds like my mother...hehe...she would make grog out of anything...
                              Margaret I can just picture it.

1861 Thomas was a mechanic, 1871 thomas was beer seller, 1881 no thomas but Elizabeth was beer, 1891 elizabeth remarried was publican, 1901 Eliz. retired inn keeper...guess I'll never crack this one. Oh well.

Comment

if you look up manchester arndale centre on wikipedia there is a good article about that area of corporation street. nothing brilliantly exciting for you like a picture tho. But it may give you an idea of the place before it got altered.
                                Angelina

Comment

Working...
                                X