My computer won't Restart or Shut Down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My computer won't Restart or Shut Down

Can anyone please tell me why my laptop won't Restart or Shut Down today?
    It will go to Sleep Mode or Hibernate but not shut down.

I think it might be something to do with what my son did last night. :( He wanted to use my computer but I had started to shut it down. He managed somehow to stop it in mid-shutdown and restart it Since then its not worked properly. :(

My operating system is Windows Vista.

Any ideas please how to put it right?

Joy

Originally posted by Tilly Mint View Post
    Just seen this link for Val, it may help you out.........

http://windows.bigresource.com/Vista....html#4BodmRJj

Thank you for that. Unfortunately I cannot see a solution to my particular problem. I don't even get any screen, it just won't do anything. :(

Joy

Comment

Can you close it down by holding down the 'off' button for a few seconds. Just keep your finger on it for 10 seconds or so.
      If that doesn't work then the only other way I can suggest is to unplug the mains and take the battery out! You will probably get an error message when you switch it back on but just let it do a disc check and see what happens.
      Elaine

Comment

Have you tried shutting down by holding down the power key? That should turn off the laptop after which you could try powering on again and going into Safe Mode to access System Restore. There's info here about how to do that. If all is OK when you go into Safe Mode, you could then just try restarting.
        Researching Nickless & Evans, Shropshire & Montgomeryshire. Also Ord and Coulson, Co. Durham

Comment

Panic over. Thank you lorry53, I have sorted it now by going into Safe Mode from your link. I am now back to normal. Phew!!

Thank you Elaine for your suggestion. I was contemplating taking out the battery if all else failed.

Joy

Comment

Glad to hear all is back to normal. Just don't let your son get his hands on it again. LOL!
            Researching Nickless & Evans, Shropshire & Montgomeryshire. Also Ord and Coulson, Co. Durham

Comment

Originally posted by lorry53 View Post
              Glad to hear all is back to normal. Just don't let your son get his hands on it again. LOL!
              Thank you. I'll do my best to keep him off, lol!!!

Joy

Comment

I worry ! then I miss ! then I worry! then its over!!

Comment

Working...
                X