Old newspapers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old newspapers?

Hi, my Great Great Aunt and one of her siblings died in a tragic fire in 1922 when she was just 5. How do I find out what paper's were about in that area at that time so I can read about it?

Thanks

Tessie

If it caused loss of life then it could of been in a national paper. My grandma lost her uncle and 3 of her cousins in a fire and it made the local paper and a national paper.
    Have you gone to your local library to see if they can tell you what papers they have and when they go back to?
    Last edited by jennie; 21-11-10, 20:27.
    Jen

Comment

No, I haven't. I will have to join and try and get there at a weekend! Thanks for the idea
      Tessie

Comment

Get a death cert which will give an exact date to look for. You may find if you email the relevant county library service they will do a search and send photocopies for a small fee. You can also see if your local library has a subscription allowing access to The Times Online archive which might also have covered this story.
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

You could also try the Daily Mirror and Daily Express archives. Pay per 24 hours.
          Phil
          historyhouse.co.uk
          Essex - family and local history.

Comment

One of the places is to go to the Colindale Newspaper Library direct which will be found at:

From here key in the area of your interest say Blackpool and all the papers for that area will come up. You will then have to decide which is your paper of interest and either go in person to search the papers at Colindale or go to the area of your tragedy and search the papers from the main library in that area. Sometimes if the fire was big enough it would make the main papers but most times this sort of thing was reported in the local newspaper only like today. Only major incidents were reported in the main dailys.

Janet

Comment

Some library services (e.g. Hertfordshire) have the C19th British Library Collection accessible from home with your library card, as well as the Times Digital Archive.

Christine
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks for all your help. I have emailed the library in question and am now awaiting their reply.

Tessie

Comment

Working...
                X