Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Becoming a British subject

This has probably been covered before, but I can't seem to find it
    I have a family, born in PreuBen who seem to have become British Subjects between the 1871 and 1881 censuses.

Would therre be a record of this anywhere? (If as I suspect it might be the NA then I would REALLY appreciate specific references if possible - never seem to be able to fathom them out!)

Their surname was Asher, but the variations on this are as one might expect with a very strong accent!

Seems like my best chance of finding more info on them. They settled in Newcastle - would that affect where to look?

Many thanks for any pointers or help

Trina

Naturalisation papers are held at the National Archives, put their name in the search box and you should get a result...

Comment

Thanks Velma - I'll give it a shot

Comment

You might find the National Archives Research Guide useful - http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/r...ralisation.htm
        Elaine

Comment

That is very helpful Elane - thanks. No joy though - perhaps the records just never made it (sigh)

Comment

what was his full name ??

Comment

The other thing is, just because they SAID they were naturalised, didn't actually mean they were! Many didn't bother, possibly because of the cost.

OC

Comment

Yes - good point! How is anyone going to check up in those days - and would they bother? I think not!

Comment

Presumably what you have as a B in PreuBen is a German double "s" and the anglicised name is Prussia.
                  Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Yes that's right - computer skills not quite up to "German double "s", but the B seems to have sserved its purpose.

Comment

Did you find anything on the National Archives site?

Comment

There is one possible, but no geographical reference and the name is probablya fairly common one. According to the census the whole family was naturalised, so I would have expected more names.
                        Just took a look in 1901 and a couple are back to being foreign subjects!
                        I get the feeling people said what was convenient at the time!!

Comment

Sounds like what OC said! :D

Comment

Just on the double s or 'sz'... Normally the short cut key is alt (button) 225. Press Alt-(hold and during pressing it press) 225. That should produce a sort of beta. Doesn't always work, and not on laptops usually. Failing that, in word you can do 'Insert, Symbol', there is a German 'sz' in the list.

Thanks for the info, though, I have an American-Scandinavian one also 'British subject'. I suppose he didn't bother either... And I haven't found anything on the NA.

Comment

And if you have a Mac, it's alt with s: ß

Christine
                              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
                              X