Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Commons/Cummins/Thomas McDonough (& variants) post 1871

UPDATE post 18

Please can anyone find any members of this family after 1871?
    (Head of house didn't read or write, struggled with dates and had difficulty with names - I do wonder if he had impaired speech?)

1861 Newcastle-on-Tyne
    Commons McDonnough 23yrs born Ireland
    Catherine wife 25yrs born Ireland
    John son 1m born N/Tyne

1871 Walker, Longbenton, Northumberld
    Cummins McDonough 38yrs born Ireland
    Cathrine 35yrs Ireland
    Mary 9yrs Scotland
    Thomas 7yrs Scotland
    Ann 3yrs Scotland
    John 2yrs Scotland
    Peter 0yrs Northumberland

Father registered the births of Mary, Ann & John in Scotland (and marked):-
    Mary (b1862) parents Commons McDonagh & Catherine Parkin, mar 18 May 1859 Middlesburgh
    Ann (b1866) parents Thomas McDonagh & Catherine Parker, mar Nov 1859, Middlesbro, England
    John (b 1868) parents Thomas McDonagh & Catherine Parker, mar 27 May 1860 Middlesbro

I have sent for this marriage certificate - Dec qtr 1861 Stockton
    Cummins McDonough & Catharine Parker

I haven't found birth or death regs for baby John 1861, nor a birth reg for Peter 1871

I think these refs are all for the same family
    Can anyone find any additional information about them, please?

Jay
    Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 15-02-12, 10:31.
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

How about this birth for Peter?

Jan - March 1871 - Peter McDonoghue - Tynemouth, Northumberland - 10b 195
    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Just a theory but I'm getting a sneaking suspicion that they may have moved to Lancashire. I have found a possible death for Peter aged 5 in April - June 1875 - West Derby, Lancashire - ref 8b 208. Also other possible deaths in Lancashire for the parents etc and in 1881 I have found this possible Catherine (there is one in Northumberland but the children are all wrong) -

Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 19-11-10, 11:35.

Comment

Thankyou Chrissie - could well be the birth reg for Peter.
        I think Tynemouth would be right registration district for Walker. (When I looked some time ago, I think I'd concentrated on Newcastle itself, thinking Walker was within the city itself.)

Jay
        Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 19-11-10, 11:40. Reason: to clarify which post I was responding to
        Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

p.s. These are only a few possibles of course but I'm putting them here before I lose them.

Comment

Crikey me, I thought Donoghue was a relatively uncommon name - how wrong I was. Trying to find marriages for the children when you don't know where they were is like looking for a needle in a haystack.

Comment

Oh piffle - got the boy with a rope again on Ancestry and it was just getting interesting :(

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                Just a theory but I'm getting a sneaking suspicion that they may have moved to Lancashire. I have found a possible death for Peter aged 5 in April - June 1875 - West Derby, Lancashire - ref 8b 208. Also other possible deaths in Lancashire for the parents etc ]
                Chrissie, thank you so much for looking.
                I think you're right - I've always believed they moved away from Northumberland, but wasn't sure where to.
                As well as the Peter death reg, there is also one for West Derby Dec 1871 - John McDonough, 3 yrs.

Did you mean you'd found a possible death for Commons/Cummins/Thomas??

Jay
                Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Yes Janet, the trouble is I found several possibles in Lancashire but hadn't noted any at that point until I'd cross checked a few things. I was just about to check that they hadn't gone back to Scotland when the boy with the rope came up. Sorry, I have to go now but will see if I can get back on later and hopefully someone else will have found something more definite. There were a few possibilities in the 1881 too but non that shouted out.

Comment

Chrissie, thankyou so much for your time & trouble on my behalf.

Jay
                    Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

You're very welcome I just hope that someone will be able to find some answers for you.

Comment

I'm beginning to wonder whether I have a problem. I can look at BMD's with no trouble but even tonight every time I try and get 1801 census results I'm still getting the boy with the rope

Comment

Wow Chrissie, where did you find the 1801 census!!:D

Jay,

Incidentally don't be surprised if your Cummins/Commons etc leads you to Ireland! I have Cummins in Tipperary, but the name also features in Kilkenny and Limeriick in the early 1800's.

Ps rereading your post I see they do come from Ireland! I do have a Margaret Cummins marrying sometime around 1825 and having children in Thurles Tipperary but where the marriage took place I have no idea. Still searching! I do have many Cummins B&M for Thurles Tipperary going back to 1798 if ever you are interested.

Janet
                          Last edited by Janet; 20-11-10, 10:37.

Comment

Janet, Thankyou so much for your interest.
                            I know that my McDonoughs came from Galway (whether County or city they didn't say.)

I am interested in "Commons" McDonough because in 1861 he and his wife were in a multiple occupancy residence with 2 other couples - my gt-gdparents Michael & Julia McDonough, the others were Patrick & Catherine Hogan. Julia & Catherine were both nee Dunn, possibly sisters, and I am hoping that Michael & "Commons" McDonough were brothers.
                            Of the 3 couples, the only one that I can find an English marriage reg for is Commons - the cert will give me the name of Commons' father, and, if he is Michael's brother, the name of my gt-gt-grandfather. (I already know that Michael's mother was Catherine.)

Michael's eldest son was Thomas. (Perhaps after Michael's father?) When Commons/Cummins gave the name Thomas as the father's name when registering the births of his second & third children, perhaps he was giving the name of HIS father? Hence my query about Commons/Cummins/Thomas in my initial post. I can see Commons & Cummins foxing the enumerator, but the Thomas threw me.

IF Commons turns out to be Michael's brother, then I hope to find, eventually, a McDonough & Commons/Cummins connection in Western Ireland.

Jay
                            Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

:D Lol Janet - as soon as I'd logged off for bed I realised what I had done. Couldn't be bothered to come back and change it as I knew you would all know what I meant :D

Comment

Oh I think I've found the problem. It's just the 1881 I can't get.
                                I think this may be Catherine (born Ireland) in 1891 living with Mary (born Scotland) and her husband William Cockburn. Ther is a marriage in Sept 1872 of a William Cockburn to Mary Ann - transcribed twice as Mary Ann McDonica and Mary Ann McDonick in Newcastle on Tyne.

Comment

Chrissie, thaks again for your efforts on my behalf.

However, Mary d/o Commons & Catherine was born in 1862, so she wouldn't have been old enough to marry in 1872.

I think the Mary, who married William Cockburn, was this one - d/o Derby & Catherine.

In each census she gives Scotland as pob and 1857 as year of birth.

Far too many Mrs Catherine McDonoughs for my liking.

Jay
                                  Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

UPDATE

Many thanks to all who helped previously.

Would now appreciate opinions about whether or not the following references are for the same family.

Last night I found this family in 1881, in High Row, Usworth, Chester le Street, recorded as McDonack
                                    (Commons/Thomas was away from home)
                                    Catherine Mc Donack 43 mar Ireld Quarry man’s wife
                                    Thomas 16 Scotld Coal miner (putter)
                                    Ann 14 Scotld
                                    Peter 10 Walker
                                    Patrick 8 Hebburn
                                    Margret 6 Hebburn
                                    Mathew 4 Gateshead
                                    William 1 Gateshead

and in 1891 they were in Teadles Sq, Windy Nook, Gateshead - they were
                                    McDonald

Thomas McDonald 55 Ireld co Kilkenny Labourer general
                                    Katherine 50 Ireld Co Kilkenny
                                    Peter 20 Walker coal miner
                                    James 18 Bill Quay coal miner
                                    Margaret 16 Bill Quay
                                    Matthew 14 Wreckenton coal miner
                                    Annie 2 Gateshead

UPDATE - William 11 yrs was also in the parental home in 1891
                                    Patrick and James P are the same son

Hawthorn Cottage, Heworth, Windy Nook Catherine was widowed - again, they were McDonald!

Kate McDonald 60 wid Ireland
                                    James P 28 Gateshead
                                    William 21 Gateshead coal miner, hewer

So, I now have a Kilkenny connection???? rather than Galway.
                                    Wonder if they were both born Kilkenny, or whther it was where they "came from" i.e. travelled from??
                                    The marriage cert records Commons' father as Mark McDonough (dec) farmer & Catherine's father as Peter Parker farmer.

Jay
                                    Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 16-02-12, 10:03.
                                    Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

i agree with 1881 and 1891 being your family, i'm not sure about 1901. have you got william in 1891?

Comment

Thanks for your input Kyle - yes, William was in the family home in 1891, I'd missed him off the list when I posted, so well spotted!

I found an interesting 1911 census record last night:

6 Ellison Villas, Gateshead
                                        William McDonald, 30 yrs, bar manager, b Worchester(??) Co Durham
                                        Catherine McDonald, mother, Widowed, 66 yrs, born Gibraltar????

Had 10 children, 8 living, 2 dead

Could this be Catherine & William?? (Age is out for Catherine, but that's par for the course with my Irish branch.)

In 1901 Peter McDonough/McDonald was a public house manager; in 1911 he was a publican in Newcastle
                                        In 1901 Matthew McDonald (born Windy Nook) was in lodgings in Winlaton - he was a barman
                                        The pub trade seemed to be in the family

Jay
                                        Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Working...
                                        X