Where do I begin ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where do I begin ?

I have a cousin who dies in 1995. He is not married, both parents deceased and has no children and I assume no Will. How can I find out what happened to the house he lived in ? Land Registry perhaps.............I would appreciate the basics.

if you know his date of death and have his death certificate you can contact the probate office local to where he lived, they will be able to do a search and tell you if there was a will or if it went to administration.
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Thanks Julie, suppose I'll have to but a Certificate. I presume the Probate Office need Death Cert to prove date of death?

Comment

Originally posted by AlanC View Post
        Thanks Julie, suppose I'll have to but a Certificate. I presume the Probate Office need Death Cert to prove date of death?
        I can't remember Alan tbh. I dont remember showing it them when I got my dads will. I'd try anyway without buying the cert, not got nothing to lose,? if you know when and where it happened that should be enough I should think.
        Julie

Comment

i got a copy of my sisters will i didnt need a certificate.brenda xxx

Comment

Thanks Julie and Brenda but I dont even know if there was a Will..........he would be early 40's when he died...........do I still make contact with The Probate Office to establish this ?

Comment

Alan

You need to contact the Probate office in the area where he died. His rough date of death (that is, the quarter he died) his name and his address should be enough for them to tell you if his estate went to probate.

OC

Comment

What a credit you are to this Site, OC.....thank You

Comment

If there was no will but assets such as a house, someone will have had to apply for Letters of Adminstration to deal with the estate. The probate office will have those details as well. When you do a search for probate records they check for either document
                  Jackie

Comment

Jackie, you mentioned a Search for Probate Records, can I do that on Line?

EDIT....just had a google search which gives me a Government Postal Address.
                    Thanks everyone.
                    Last edited by AlanC; 18-11-10, 18:02.

Comment

Not for recent ones. There's a guide here about how to get the records

Jackie

Comment

Thanks Julie and Brenda but I dont even know if there was a Will..........he would be early 40's when he died...........do I still make contact with The Probate Office to establish this ?
                        Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                        Alan

You need to contact the Probate office in the area where he died. His rough date of death (that is, the quarter he died) his name and his address should be enough for them to tell you if his estate went to probate.

OC
                        sorry Alan, I was cooking dinner, OC is right though and is what I would've said, (though she got there before me)
                        Julie

Comment

you will probably find that going through the local probate office to where the event took place will be a damned site quicker than going through York.
                          Julie

Comment

I'll take that tip Julie, thanks.................dont know where you are but hope you're warm "Under ice".

Comment

there are a number of sites that give you house prices in a post code address area going back 10 years
                              i.e. houseprices.co.uk and you could see if the property appears on that with the date of sale
                              before 2000 try www.ourproperty.co.uk
                              Mike in Droitwich

My family tree is on
                              http://mjfisher.tribalpages.com

Comment

I'll take that tip Julie, thanks.................dont know where you are but hope you're warm "Under ice".
                                its a bit chilly and very wet in Nottingham ;)
                                Julie

Comment

That's very useful Mike..............will have a go at that.....cheers.

Comment

Working...
                                  X