Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smith challenge anyone?

Is anyone up for a Smith challenge?

I have an Edward Smith born c1827 in Glasgow but have very little on him no birth marriage or death. Only 1861 and 1871 scottish census.

In the 1861 census he's with his wife Helen b Edinburgh, children John b c1852 England?, Anne b 7 Sept 1857 Edinburgh and Mary b 28 Oct 1859. He's a bricklayer.

I haven't found the marriage but as wife is RC there's a chance records haven't survived as they're not on Scotlandspeople catholic records.

Edinburgh High Church; ED: 18; Page: 7; Line: 8; Roll: CSSCT1861_128; Year: 1861

By 1871 he's a widower and is working/living in Linlithgow - still a bricklayer

Linlithgow; ED: 5; Page: 6; Line: 9; Roll: CSSCT1871_153; Year: 1871.

The girls are at Drum Farm at Liberton as scholars.

Liberton; ED: 6; Page: 36; Line: 18; Roll: CSSCT1871_170; Year: 1871.

Couldn't find John in the 1871 census but a John Smith born England? is like finding a needle in a haystack. He could have joined the army like his two uncles but without a place of birth he's impossible to trace.

I do wonder if Edward and the girls emigrated as I can't find any trace of the girls either after 1871.

Any help much appreciated.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

do u have the certs for his children? i believe the birth cert may say where his born, im not 100% on that though.

Comment

I have the birth cert of Anne. Born September 7th 1857 at Old Stamp Office, (something like Clote)High Street. Registered in St Giles District of Edinburgh. Father Edward Smith - Bricklayer - Mother Ellen Smith, maiden name Farmer. Registered on 14th September by Ellen Smith, mother, in Edinburgh.

If you would like a copy JBee I will need your e-mail address. I have to work out first though how to change it to a jpeg
      Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

No sign of a marriage though I'm afraid

Comment

Originally posted by JBee View Post
          Is anyone up for a Smith challenge?

Any help much appreciated.
          Aaarrrgh !!! - Smiths, have loads of them in my tree - and Jones ! Sadly none that match yours

Comment

Thanks Chrissie - yes I have both the girls birth certificates but no mention of parents marriage on either though.

If they were married in Scotland before 1855 then it would come under OPR's - but Helen being an RC and married in an RC church then it wouldn't appear in the OPR's. I've checked the Catholic records on scotlandspeople but without success but I don't know how complete they are. I looked to see if they married in England as their son John was born c1852 in England? but couldn't see anything. Not knowning whereabouts John was born doesn't help in trying to trace him either.

I've looked for both birth, marriage and death for Edward without success.

Also the death or marriage of both girls but again nothing - which is why I wonder if they emigrated.

Pulls hair out in frustration!!! lol

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

If the mothers name is Helen JBee why does it say Ellen on the birth cert for Anne?

Comment

I think she was probably an Eleanor but used the name Helen or Ellen. She died in 1861 using the name Helen.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                  No sign of a marriage though I'm afraid
                  Scottish birth certificates usually also give the date and place of marriage.
                  Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Yes usually UJ - unfortunately the registrar didn't enter any details for Mary or the other births on that page.

I haven't got Anne's birth certificate to hand but don't recall seeing any info about the marriage on it.

Comment

There wasn't any or I would have posted it and as JBee says, neither of the other two on the same page either.

Comment

Working...
                      X