Help needed with Peacocks of Hull!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help needed with Peacocks of Hull!

Help needed to unravel these two families!

1851 census (These are the ones I am interested in!)
    Thomas Peacock c 1776 Hull, Yorkshire, England
    Elizabeth Peacock cc 1778 Hemingby, Lincolnshire
    living in Kingston Upon Hull Holy Trinity, Yorkshire

HO107; Piece: 2362; Folio: 288; Page: 17;

1851 census
    Thomas Peacock c1789 Hull, Yorkshire
    Elizabeth Peacock c1791 London, Middlesex
    Living in Sculcoates, Yorkshire

HO107; Piece: 2361; Folio: 629; Page: 22

Have found these deaths but cannot work out which Elizabeth and Thomas they might refer to.

Elizabeth Peacock
    1863 3rd qtr.
    Hull
    Volume 9d
    Page 158

Thomas Peacock
    1862 1st qtr.
    Hull
    Volume 9d
    Page 135

Cannot find either Elizabeth or Thomas Peacock on the 1861 census!

I am sure I am missing something but am going round in circles at the moment. Any help appreciated!
    Elaine

That's a tricky one Elaine. I have just been checking and Kingston on Hull and Sculcoates both come under the same Hull reference. I suppose it's possible that the deaths are one from each family as in 1861 I can't find a likely Thomas and Elizabeth together. There are a few possible Thomas on their own. Will have a look to see whether there are any Elizabeths on their own, though one of them came from London and I suppose could possibly have gone back there if Thomas died.
    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

You don't happen to know whether your Peacocks had a daughter Ann who married John Hartley do you? There is an Elizabeth of the right age in 1861 as mother in law.

Comment

The only children I have got so far are Mary born 1815 and Hannah born 1816, both born Hull.
        Hannah married William Rumble in Drypool in 1837.
        No further information about Mary.
        Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
          You don't happen to know whether your Peacocks had a daughter Ann who married John Hartley do you? There is an Elizabeth of the right age in 1861 as mother in law.
          Think we can discount that one. I think this is probably her in 1851

HO107; Piece: 2281; Folio: 526; Page: 10
          Elaine

Comment

Yes that looks like her - sorry.

Comment

Just in case you didn't already realise the registration districts of Hull and Sculcoates would be of no significant relevance to the local residents. The boundaries are complicated - people would go to the nearest register office not knowing or caring which district it was in.

Just as an example people born there almost never say on censuses they are born in Sculcoates .... they just say Hull!

I know that doesn't help your problem!

Anne

Comment

Might be worth looking at Yorkshire BMD because some of the earlier entries have ages on. Its difficult to know if these are the same entries because they don't break it into quarters but there is an 1862 Thomas death aged 0 and an Elizabeth in 1863 aged 59, both in Myton which comes under Hull I believe
                Jackie

Comment

Thanks everyone.
                  I forgot about Yorkshire BMD - I am sure Myton comes under Hull, which would probably mean that neither of those deaths are mine!
                  Elaine

Comment

Yes you are correct Elaine - Myton is a district of Hull.

Anne

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
                      Just in case you didn't already realise the registration districts of Hull and Sculcoates would be of no significant relevance to the local residents. The boundaries are complicated - people would go to the nearest register office not knowing or caring which district it was in.
                      Think you might be right here Anne!
                      Have just found a thread on Rootschat which says Elizabeth died in 1860 aged 83 in the West Sculcoates District of Hull, so presumably this registration:

Elizabeth Peacock
                      1860 3rd qtr.
                      Sculcoates
                      Volume 9d
                      Page 101

Think I might have to get that to see if it shows her as wife of Thomas or widow.
                      Elaine

Comment

Working...
                      X