No announcement yet.

Cornholme parish registers (Yorkshire)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cornholme parish registers (Yorkshire)

Does anyone know where I can find the parish registers for Cornholme please? Between 1860 and 1920. My husbands grandfather was born there, and it looks like his mother worked there before she was married. There's a bit of a family mystery - my husbands grandfather was called Robert Thomas Crankshaw, and we've been told that Roberts was his mothers maiden name, however, I have his birth certificate and his mother was Elizabeth Williams! All the other family members have told us that his mothers name was Ellen Roberts. I have a marriage certificate for Robert Crankshaw's parents and it states John Crankshaw and Elizabet Williams. I so far haven't found any marriage for a Crankshaw and a Roberts. I thought that I may look at the registers of where Robert Thomas was born, which was Cornholme, near Todmorden. Any ideas anyone?

According to GENUKI Cornholme is in Rochdale parish but there's not much about it!

However another search shows the present day church is in the Dicese of Wakefield. You could try emailing the vicar
    http://www.achurchnearyou.com/cornho...el-all-angels/ and asking which archive the registers go to when they are full. The dates you give are relatively recent and it is possible that a small parish may still be using those books.

Anne

Comment

Where do the other family members say they have got this information from Lisa? I have been having a look and everything points to the Elizabeth Williams that you have.
      Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Have you looked at the Lancashire Online Parish Clerks Project.

Todmorden is on there as is Burnley. Cornholme lies between the two towns so could have been baptised at either. The Parish church at Cornholme was only built in 1900. There is also a Todmorden website with parish records online and searchable will see if I can find it again and get back to you if you are interested.

goodygumdrops.

Comment

I agree with Chrissie. He is the only Robert Thomas Crankshaw on the GRO index! Presuming you actually have the right person, and that your husband's grandfather really was Robert Thomas Crankshaw (!) then the census and indexes, together with the certificates you have show you are correct.

I would ask them why they think his mother's name was different. I looked at the 1911 census and the 1891 and his mother is Elizabeth on both those. She appears to be Welsh. [The only way I could see his mother being someone called Ellen Roberts is if his father had an affair and Elizabeth took the child on as her own - not very likely!!!]

Anne
          Last edited by Anne in Carlisle; 17-11-10, 15:46.

Comment

I don't know where the family have got the information from. I think I am going to have to order one of the other children's birth certificates. A note from one of the family (she died a few years ago) says this: "John Crankshaw married Ellen Roberts from Denbyshire in Wales. There wasn't much work in Denbyshire and she was a maid in either Yorkshire or Lancashire and that's where she met him - he was a railway guard. She was in a town starting with the letter C near Todmorden. They had a daughter, Ann Jane, then Elizabeth Ellen, James Richard, Robert Thomas and Alice Maud."
            The problem is that most of the family are going on things they were told as children and trying to tell someone who is 90 years old that they are wrong is very difficult!
            Thanks for all your help.

Comment

Lisa
              Is it possible that John married Ellen Roberts, had a number of children with her then she died and he married Elizabeth and had Robert?
              When was Robert born?
              Lynne

Searching for Ford, Duffy, (Manchester and Ireland) Cree (Manchester, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire), Owen (Manchester), Humphreys (Manchester and Ireland), Egerton (Manchester and Cheshire), Cresswell (Manchester).

Comment

John Crankshaw married Elizabeth Williams in 1877 at Ramsbottom, bury - is that correct? There is also a much earlier marriage (1849) between a John Crankshaw and an Elizabeth Williams.....

Also, just to muddy the waters, I found this, which may not be relevant to your search but the mistranscription/mispronunciation of the name may be worth bearing in mind:

Elizabeth Ellen Roberts to Thomas CONCHAR (1889) (Conchar = Cronkshaw, maybe?)

OC

Comment

I do think that John possibly married Ellen Roberts first. But I still think its strange that if he did have two wives, that they both came from Denbyshire. I am wondering if the Roberts bit is a bit further back, although, saying that, I can't find anything on the Crankshaw side. It could be that Elizabeth Williams' mothers maiden name was Roberts? But, as Elizabeths father is William Williams.....trying to find the right William Williams with a daughter Elizabeth in North Wales......(hello haystack, where do you keep your needles these days?).
                  I know that sometimes Crankshaw has been transcribed as Cronkshaw or even Crawshaw, so Conchar is another possibility. Where did you find that Olde Crone?

Comment

Working...
                  X