Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone know how nice Lambeth register office are?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone know how nice Lambeth register office are?

Hi

I want to order a marriage certificate, but im wondering if they would tell me over the phone if a father is listed for one person (i would still pay for the cert)? The reason i ask is that there is a name change (middle name added to surname to make double-barrell) and his name is listed twice in the marriage BMD's with the middle names swapped around (William O J Jones and William J O Jones). He was born as William O J Jones (i believe), and died as William James O Jones and William James Olive-Jones. Im guessing that the death was registered twice as there was no official change of surname (nothing listed in the London Gazette)?
    Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

I've never used them, but they sound fairly helpful from their website:

However, I think local ROs need to know the marriage venue before they'll issue a cert.

Comment

Mary is right. Every wedding venue (church or register office or registrar-attended) has its own separate register(s). I would imagine Lambeth, being densely populated, had 20 or more possible venues. As you've discovered, in the GRO index double-barrelled names (e.g. Smith-Jones) are often indexed under both Smith and Jones. So what you have found is two index entries for the same event, presumably with the same reference number. There's only one certificate, so don't try ordering both.
      Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
      X